Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler JKR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
My concern is how does the bronco do at those angles when it's low on oil. I had no doubt ford thought of that when they designed the oil pan.

Those angles are sketchy to drive. Here's a video of my jeep a couple weeks after I bought it.
Sponsored

DesertChip

Badlands
First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Q5, 2017 GTI, 2007 Porsche Cayman S
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sorry if this has been covered before, but is the 7 quarts supposed to be with oil change or full tear down and rebuild? I'm assuming quite a bit of old oil is still left sitting in the turbos and oil lines after draining and its a reasonable assumption that a decent amount of oil is still lingering in the engine after draining the pan.
It would be useful to check the oil level on the dipstick on a Bronco just off the truck or rail car from the factory. At least then we will know what the factory is doing. Someone with a new Bronco , please do this and tell us.

Dragline

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Yukon Denali, GMC Sierra 1500, Honda Civic, Chevy C3500
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
It would be useful to check the oil level on the dipstick on a Bronco just off the truck or rail car from the factory. At least then we will know what the factory is doing. Someone with a new Bronco , please do this and tell us.
You would have to check it before the dealer does, otherwise there's no way to know if they added or removed oil.

Biff

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda CR-V AWD SE
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I’m hoping to take delivery today, and will be sure to request during PDI that the service tech measures what my 2.7 comes off the truck with. My dealership has only received a few customer orders so far, along with their mannequin, so they may not be aware of the 7 vs 6 quart info yet.

Sponsored

Dragline

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Or..... follow the instructions in Ford's manual. Video record yourself putting 7 qts in. If something happens there is zero chance Ford would win in court if your warranty is denied.

Besides... how many Bronco owners will get their oil changed at a instant oil change (or a Ford dealer for that matter)? If the oil tech reads 7 qts on his computer screen he's putting in 7 qts.

This is a HUGE problem for Ford if thousands of Broncos start having engine problems from too much oil.

That being said, I haven't received my Bronco yet and when I do get it, I'll change my own oil and I'll be super careful filling it.
I agree that there's a good chance of winning, but it'll be a fight if it's overfilled when it gets to the dealer. Unless you're running a lot of steep grades it'll likely be less painful (in a failure situation) and require less documenting to keep it at the max until there's better info.

I change my own oil anyway, so will definitely be doing it on the Bronco (already have my Ronin waiting on first change).

Last edited:

wetdog

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Thank you flip for stick ing with the investigation, its a slippery subject and diy people need the full story.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Until Ford comes out and says otherwise I would not overfill. Maintain it at the max fill mark. The last thing you want is to drop a valve, get towed to a dealer and have the service manager report that the engine was overfilled, and you admitted you overfilled it because of something "you read on the internet." We all know how ill-informed most of our dealers seem to be on these, they certainly won't understand this without info from Ford.

Maintaining it at the max should keep you at least in the safe operating range.
One quart over or under for that matter will not alone cause a valve to "drop". In an ohv engine the keepers and springs and other parts are what need to fail for a valve to drop and come into contact with a piston when it shouldn't. A broken pushrod would not as the valve would remain closed. A failure of drive mechanism of an overhead cam would in an interference engine.

But(sigh) everyone seems to label any 2.7 engi e failure as a "dropped valve" . Guess that means if all the oil drained out of the pan after hitting a rock and a maim bearing or lower rod bearing seizes we call that a dropped valve even though all valves are still functional.

Dragline

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
One quart over or under for that matter will not alone cause a valve to "drop". In an ohv engine the keepers and springs and other parts are what need to fail for a valve to drop and come into contact with a piston when it shouldn't. A broken pushrod would not as the valve would remain closed. A failure of drive mechanism of an overhead cam would in an interference engine.

But(sigh) everyone seems to label any 2.7 engi e failure as a "dropped valve" . Guess that means if all the oil drained out of the pan after hitting a rock and a maim bearing or lower rod bearing seizes we call that a dropped valve even though all valves are still functional.
I agree 100%, overfilling will not cause the valve failure. I'm saying many service managers will use anything they can to argue against warranty.

Sponsored

fschael

Base
First Name
Federico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F-150 Supercrew FX4
Your Bronco Model
Base
I am at a Ford dealership right now. The parts guy was kind enough to print out the diagrams for both the Bronco and the F150 driver side vlace cover (in which the dipstick resides). Part numbers are the SAME for both (JT4ZA6582A). Dipstick numbers, however, are supposed to be different. Bronco is MB3Z6750B, F150 is L1MZ6750A. I have no idea why they would be different if valve covers are the same, because ultimately either stick should be measuring the distance from the top of the oil to the top of the dipstick retainer tube...and on both engines that should be the same distance, regardless of pan capacity. Is anyone in parts or who has a 2021 Ford F150 able to measure a stick?
It has different parts numbers just for logistic purposes.

A lot of parts are interchangeable between vehicles (cost reduction and complexity reduction), however, those are released for each vehicle (prefix number) because it easier to control them for MP&L and FCSD.

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I don't get it. Ford calls for 7 quarts and yet everyone is questioning that based on the dip stick. Just use 7 quarts .. if this is wrong than you are covered under warranty. Use 6 quarts and you are NOT covered.

Dragline

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I don't get it. Ford calls for 7 quarts and yet everyone is questioning that based on the dip stick. Just use 7 quarts .. if this is wrong than you are covered under warranty. Use 6 quarts and you are NOT covered.
Ford also says this:
Ford Bronco Bronco Team Engineering Confirms 7.0 Quarts for 2.7L Engine Oil Change is Correct Screenshot_20211123-104604_FordPass

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

and that note is correct if the dipstick markings is correct. If the dipstick markings are NOT correct than you are starving your engine by 1 quart.
...and that, with due respect to flip, is the question.
Sponsored

Reactions: Cat