Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

. My God some of you really go off on tangents!!

Flip, thanks for the info. I’m still unclear what to do. I just got back from my dealership for my first service. The dip stick is at least 1 inch above max. What action if any do you think I should take.
If the invoice says they put 7 in, let 'er eat.
Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I kind of scanned all the post, so maybe it's already been said.

But if folks are only getting six quarts out when they drain, but they're putting seven quarts back in because the dipstick is wrong and that's what the manual says..

How many oil changes before you have so much extra oil in there that you ARE going to cause damage.

Obviously I hope Ford sorts this out and gives us some better information. My second hope is that when I finally get my Bronco, I have the odd luck that the dipstick actually registers correctly like a few others have.

Otherwise, maybe I'll see how many courts it takes to get to the max line. And if it is six, toss in a half a quart to split the difference.

Happy

Black Diamond
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
1} I drove until the engine was hot. Parked and waited 20 minutes then removed the oil filter.
2} Let oil drain from filter housing for at least 20 minutes.
3} Removed drain plug and waited 2 hours until oil dripped 1 drop in about 20 seconds.
Measured: Engine gave out 6.25 quarts. I put in 6.75 quarts.

I'm either under filled by .25 quarts or over filled by .50 quarts.

EDIT: after waiting overnight dip stick showed oil half way up on the twist.
my dipstick is # FT4E6750BF D454A

Last edited:

USAGUY

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

1} I drove until the engine was hot. Parked and waited 20 minutes then removed the oil filter.
3} Removed drain plug and waited 2 hours until oil dripped 1 drop in about 20 seconds.

You must be happy

Sponsored

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So I changed my oil about 4K miles. Saw some questions about fill, but let it drain for 20+ minutes and refilled with 6 quarts of Mobil 1. Came just under the “full” hash mark and thought it was good. Today I checked and the oils level was just a bit lower, middle of the “safe” hash marks. I know that I was safe to add, based on the capacity and slight decrease in level, I added a quart of the same 5w30 Mobil 1. Now shows slightly over the full mark. I will be super diligent and drain top and bottom and measure. I will replace what comes out and verify level with a scroll mark on the dipstick. My oil change friends will scold me for not doing so the first time (I was taught this early in my wrenching career and just neglected to follow established best practices). To affirm what many others have said, the quart difference one way or the other isn’t going to burn up the motor or drop a valve. Which of the horrible service managers do you all refer to? IME, they are mostly looking to resolve the issue and get the dealer and tech paid for their work. Nothing more or less. Happy Thanksgiving 🦃!

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

And after waiting at least 15 minutes, where was it on your dipstick?

Happy

Black Diamond
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
da-jokker: the oil showed right at half way on the twist of the dip stick.

that is very close to where it showed on factory fill.

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
EDIT: after waiting overnight dip stick showed oil half way up on the twist.
my dipstick is # FT4E6750BF D454A
Exact same for me. 1,100 miles in...I asked the dealer tech to check dip stick level after adding 7 quarts; he was happy with it. Waited overnight - same stick# and reading as you. If its wrong, at least we have a lot of company

Lake Tahoe Traveler

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 2dr BL SASQ, & 1975 Bronco Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What I don’t understand is…. (And I’ve built several engines with modified baffling and wind age trays) with the same dip stick inserted into the block… you fill to the same oil level. For example if you install a large capacity pan you would add more oil, but the actual level on the dip stick would be the same.

If ford built a larger pan for the 2.7 Bronco to handle 7 qts…. The max fill mark should be at the same level…with the same dip stick….

This concept of adding a 7th quart and rising the oil 1” past the max fill mark (into the twisted section) makes Zero sense….

If the crankshaft is splashing in oil it’s not a good thing… In addition, making excess blow by at full boost with the turbos… along with an overfilled sump, would be a recipe for disaster….

This whole oil level thing is NOT trivial. To guess what the max fill oil level should be (without sound reasoning), is crazy…..Ford needs to address this issue immediately….

Ford if your listening, please help us out here!!!

Last edited:

Sponsored

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What I don’t understand is…. (And I’ve built several engines with modified baffling and wind age trays) with the same dip stick inserted into the block… you fill to the same oil level. For example if you install a large capacity pan you would add more oil, but the actual level on the dip stick would be the same.

If ford built a larger pan for the 2.7 Bronco to handle 7 qts…. The max fill mark should be at the same level…with the same dip stick….

This concept of adding a 7th quart and rising the oil 1” past the max fill mark (into the twisted section) makes Zero sense….

If the crankshaft is splashing in oil it’s not a good thing… In addition, making excess blow by at full boost with the turbos… along with an overfilled sump, would be a recipe for disaster….

This whole oil level thing is NOT trivial. To guess what the max fill oil level should be (without sound reasoning), is crazy…..Ford needs to address this issue immediately….

Ford if your listening, please help us out here!!!
1000% agree...finally a fellow engine builder who understands both the importance of not overfilling but also the concept of the same oil level height regardless of pan depth...and as a bonus the implications of too much oil in a boosted engine...

dcg2

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thank you posting this, I've been at the my local dealership dealing with this the entire afternoon. I left with 6 quarts in the truck as that's what the dipstick reads. I was actually thinking it might be some kind of oversight with the dipstick design for the Bronco. This is concerning as many people like myself intend on keeping this truck for a long time. @Ford Motor Company needs to adress this immediatly to prevent engine damage!
@Ford Motor Company can I get your job??? A week has gone by with no information from the company you represent about this VERY straightforward issue.

I want a job where I can ignore my customers questions for a week without so much as providing a "we're looking into it" update to them.

WRF3MD

Black Diamond
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150/Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So are we calling it 6 1/2?

the Duff

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Bumping this. I am currently prepping a FE with the 2.7. The oil level is dead nuts at the top of the hashes. This was after the 15 minute drain back. Just seeing if maybe they updated the dipstick. The engineering number on this one is FT4E-6750-BF.

cowman

Outer Banks
First Name
cowman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Germans are way ahead when it comes to oil level warning systems...if our Broncos had a low (and high) sensor, like a BMW or Mercedez has, I wouldn't stress about a dipstick as much...however, both my Sprinter and my former G series had not only sensors (for those who prefer dash warnings) but also very accurate dipsticks (for those of us who don't trust the fairly inaccurate "ballpark figure" sensors). Point again being that Ford in this particular case is irresponsible for not being able to build a product that has an inaccurate dipstick (or oil capacity indication). How hard can it be to make a car that has a manual/vehicle in which the oil level rec. matches the provided instructions/dipstick? Also...as you pointed out your BMW did not have a dipstick. If our Broncos didn't have a dipstick, this entire topic would be pointless. Because our Broncos do have a dipstick, however, and because they are apparently inaccurate, Ford needs to give us some direction IMHO.
Ford has given direction..... 7 qts....
Sponsored