Van
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ah ... yeah ... I guess as long as you get the same amount of oil out each time and put the same amount back in each time you would always remain the exact same N quart overfilled.

I still find this whole thing very odd that some swear they drain out seven put in seven and end up right on the line and others are all over the place.

Really makes me think that the engine builders are using whatever parts I can get their hands on. I hope once mine is finally built everything will be sorted.

I would have thought a simple oil change would end up being the big Bronco mystery.
I don't really agree on the 1 for 1. If you originally put in 7 qt but when you go in to change and get 6.25 out your going to put 6.25 back in? What if that was burn off or loss as we all know most modern engines eat oil nowadays.
Sponsored

Clearwater native

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19F-59,16-E350, 65C10,05TJ, 67RSCamaro, 65malibuSS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wow it would be real nice if someone from Ford Motor Co. would chime in on this before I change my oil, and because I always change my own oil, I always wonder why they don't sell oil in 7 Quart jugs (because oil is a lot more $$$ by the Quart) and buying 2 5-quart jugs pouring it into a measuring cup is a PITA.

Last edited:

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I don't really agree on the 1 for 1. If you originally put in 7 qt but when you go in to change and get 6.25 out your going to put 6.25 back in? What if that was burn off or loss as we all know most modern engines eat oil nowadays.

Agreed. And there's the problem. You don't have an accurate dipstick, and we can't guarantee replacing what comes out puts you at the proper level.

It's a total guessing game. That's why I feel like if you were lucky enough to get seven out and can put seven back in, but a mark on your dipstick cuz that's the sweet spot.

And I don't know about engines eating oil. I have two Mazdas, one with 100k on it and the other with 50 k and neither use any oil in between my 10k oil changes.

amccue90

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Anybody heard anything new on this?

Sponsored

djn3400

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco BaseSquatch, Chevy Suburban, Kia K5
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I did my 1st oil change on my 2.7L today (1,373 miles) after following all of the oil capacity and dipstick concerns on B6G, so I thought I would share my experience.

First off, a few weeks ago when I read on here that people were afraid their Broncos were overfilled from the factory, I checked my oil in the morning before starting the engine after it had sat all night. I found the oil level was above the max hole and up to the twist like others had reported. I assumed mine was overfilled, but knew I would soon be changing the oil, so I wasn't too concerned.

I started my oil change today by doing the same cold oil level check just to see if anything had changed in the past few weeks. I got the same result - reading up to the twist. Then I drove it around until the engine and the oil got up to operating temp (about 170Deg on the oil temp gauge). Came home, turned it off, and set a timer for 10 minutes per the owner's manual oil level check procedure. I measured it at the 10 minute mark and the level on the dipstick was a bit over the middle between the min and max holes, just below the nominal line on dipstick. Since this is how Ford says to check it, I now felt much better about the level and no longer thought it was overfilled. I also figured that it was likely filled to the nominal level at the factory, but now appears a bit below the nominal line, due to blow-by and burn-off (which I believe tends to be failry common with brand new engines).

Therefore, I figured that there was likely a bit less than the 7qts full fill amount in the engine. So, I was anticipating getting maybe 6.5qts out, since it likely had less than the 7qts it probably started with, plus the fact that the oil in the turbos, nooks and crannies, filter, etc. won't show up in the oil removed during the change.

Then I drained the oil. Starting by pulling the dipstick and taking off the oil fill cap and removing the filter housing and filter. I let it sit like this for about 15 or 20 minutes while I changed the o-rings on the housing. Then, I removed the oil pan drain plug and let the oil drain for about 30 minutes, until there was just a very fine stream coming out. Next, I jacked up the driver's side of the Bronco (until the driver front tire was just about to come off the ground) to help the remaining oil come out. It definitely helped, as the oil stream got stronger. I let it drain like this for about another 20-30 minutes. At this point, there were only drops coming from the drain hole every 5-10 seconds, so I called it good and lowered the jack. Once it was off the jack, there were no more drips.

I measured the amount of oil removed, and, like I anticipated.... 6.5qts.

I installed the filter, filter housing, and new Ronin drain plug. Then, I added 6 qts of Mobil 1 5W30. I cranked the motor without starting (throttle full to the floor, foot on the brake, and push/hold the start button) to prime the system. Then started the engine and let it idle for a couple of minutes to check for oil leaks. No leaks, so I took it for a drive to get the oil temp back up over 170Deg.

Came back home, turned it off, and set a timer for 10 minutes. Checked the level after 10 minutes and found the reading to between the min and max holes, but further below the nominal line than when I did the proper level check before starting the oil change. I expected this, since I took out 6.5qts but only put 6qts back in.

So I added another 1/2qt to bring the total to 6.5qts. Drove it around the block and then parked it and waited another 10 minutes to check the level. As expected, I was back at the original level from the start of the oil change. Just below the nominal.

Just for fun, I'll check the level cold tomorrow, and I suspect it will be up to the twist, just as it was before. I'll do the proper level check again tomorrow after driving it and maybe add a bit more to get the level up to the nominal line (maybe another 1/4qt). That would bring the total to 6.75qts added after removing 6.5qts. Assuming .25qts stays in the engine/turbos/filter during an oil change, that would leave the other .25qts as potential burn-off I guess (assuming the factory fill of 7qts).

Other thoughts:
1. I have never seen oil absolutely pour out of a drain hole at the rate of the Bronco. I was prepared for this and used a 10qt bucket versus my usual closed top oil drain pan, which I am 100% sure would have been overwhelmed and created a huge mess. So, thank you everyone for the heads-up on that. (y)

2. The Ronin pulg is very high quality and super easy to install. The magnetic tip is also very strong.

3. As others have said, the dipstick is hard to read. Kinda have to move it around and look from slightly different angles to get the light to hit it just right, as well as look at both sides, in order to get a reading

Last edited:

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I did my 1st oil change on my 2.7L today (1,373 miles) after following all of the oil capacity and dipstick concerns on B6G, so I thought I would share my experience.

First off, a few weeks ago when I read on here that people were afraid their Broncos were overfilled from the factory, I checked my oil in the morning before starting the engine after it had sat all night. I found the oil level was above the max hole and up to the twist like others had reported. I assumed mine was overfilled, but knew I would soon be changing the oil, so I wasn't too concerned.

I started my oil change today by doing the same cold oil level check just to see if anything had changed in the past few weeks. I got the same result - reading up to the twist. Then I drove it around until the engine and the oil got up to operating temp (about 170Deg on the oil temp gauge). Came home, turned it off, and set a timer for 10 minutes per the owner's manual oil level check procedure. I measured it at the 10 minute mark and the level on the dipstick was a bit over the middle between the min and max holes, just below the nominal line on dipstick. Since this is how Ford says to check it, I now felt much better about the level and no longer thought it was overfilled. I also figured that it was likely filled to the nominal level at the factory, but now appears a bit below the nominal line, due to blow-by and burn-off (which I believe tends to be failry common with brand new engines).

Therefore, I figured that there was likely a bit less than the 7qts full fill amount in the engine. So, I was anticipating getting maybe 6.5qts out, since it likely had less than the 7qts it probably started with, plus the fact that the oil in the turbos, nooks and crannies, filter, etc. won't show up in the oil removed during the change.

Then I drained the oil. Starting by pulling the dipstick and taking off the oil fill cap and removing the filter housing and filter. I let it sit like this for about 15 or 20 minutes while I changed the o-rings on the housing. Then, I removed the oil pan drain plug and let the oil drain for about 30 minutes, until there was just a very fine stream coming out. Next, I jacked up the driver's side of the Bronco (until the driver front tire was just about to come off the ground) to help the remaining oil come out. It definitely helped, as the oil stream got stronger. I let it drain like this for about another 20-30 minutes. At this point, there were only drops coming from the drain hole every 5-10 seconds, so I called it good and lowered the jack. Once it was off the jack, there were no more drips.

I measured the amount of oil removed, and, like I anticipated.... 6.5qts.

I installed the filter, filter housing, and new Ronin drain plug. Then, I added 6 qts of Mobil 1 5W30. I cranked the motor without starting (throttle full to the floor, foot on the brake, and push/hold the start button) to prime the system. Then started the engine and let it idle for a couple of minutes to check for oil leaks. No leaks, so I took it for a drive to get the oil temp back up over 170Deg.

Came back home, turned it off, and set a timer for 10 minutes. Checked the level after 10 minutes and found the reading to between the min and max holes, but further below the nominal line than when I did the proper level check before starting the oil change. I expected this, since I took out 6.5qts but only put 6qts back in.

So I added another 1/2qt to bring the total to 6.5qts. Drove it around the block and then parked it and waited another 10 minutes to check the level. As expected, I was back at the original level from the start of the oil change. Just below the nominal.

Just for fun, I'll check the level cold tomorrow, and I suspect it will be up to the twist, just as it was before. I'll do the proper level check again tomorrow after driving it and maybe add a bit more to get the level up to the nominal line (maybe another 1/4qt). That would bring the total to 6.75qts added after removing 6.5qts. Assuming .25qts stays in the engine/turbos/filter during an oil change, that would leave the other .25qts as potential burn-off I guess (assuming the factory fill of 7qts).

Other thoughts:
1. I have never seen oil absolutely pour out of a drain hole at the rate of the Bronco. I was prepared for this and used a 10qt bucket versus my usual closed top oil drain pan, which I am 100% sure would have been overwhelmed and created a huge mess. So, thank you everyone for the heads-up on that. (y)

2. The Ronin pulg is very high quality and super easy to install. The magnetic tip is also very strong.

3. As others have said, the dipstick is hard to read. Kinda have to move it around and look from slightly different angles to get the light to hit it just right, as well as look at both sides, in order to get a reading
Thanks for the info. The troubling part to me is that an owner will get different levels depending on how long even after the 10-minute period he or she checks the stick. The manual states:

"Check the oil level before starting the engine, OR switch the engine off after warming up and wait 10 minutes for the oil to drain into the oil pan."

Which, at least to me, implies that we could check the oil 10 minutes (or later) OR prior to starting the vehicle even after a long shut down. In theory, the 10 minutes should be the amount of time required to let as much oil drain back to the pan as possible...and the oil level at 10 minutes should be the same as if we wait 10 hours. I went to the F150 forum and it seems that although many owners have the exact same engine we have (the 2.7), with the exact same instructions that the Bronco manual has for checking oil level, no one has reported their oil level as high on the F150 stick as we have on our Bronco sticks...how can that be unless something is up with our check valves/drain back system?

Whatever the issue may be, I for one do not think it is too much to ask Ford to have a system in which checking the oil accurately (even after a vehicle sits overnight) is possible.

djn3400

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco BaseSquatch, Chevy Suburban, Kia K5
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Thanks for the info. The troubling part to me is that an owner will get different levels depending on how long even after the 10-minute period he or she checks the stick. The manual states:

"Check the oil level before starting the engine, OR switch the engine off after warming up and wait 10 minutes for the oil to drain into the oil pan."

Which, at least to me, implies that we could check the oil 10 minutes (or later) OR prior to starting the vehicle even after a long shut down. In theory, the 10 minutes should be the amount of time required to let as much oil drain back to the pan as possible...and the oil level at 10 minutes should be the same as if we wait 10 hours. I went to the F150 forum and it seems that although many owners have the exact same engine we have (the 2.7), with the exact same instructions that the Bronco manual has for checking oil level, no one has reported their oil level as high on the F150 stick as we have on our Bronco sticks...how can that be unless something is up with our check valves/drain back system?

Whatever the issue may be, I for one do not think it is too much to ask Ford to have a system in which checking the oil accurately (even after a vehicle sits overnight) is possible.
Agree 100%. This should not be so difficult and I hope Ford can clarify what is going on once and for all.

khudgi

Wildtrak
First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 XLT 4x4 CC / 2023 F350 CC LAR 4x4 PS 6.7
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If dip stick is wrong then Item #3 and the Note are at odds with each other.
Yup...and that is the dilemma...none of us know why checking the stick at ten minutes after an oil change indicates full, and why waiting longer makes the oil level go well beyond the max mark. If Ford would respond to us and give us some clarity it would be most appreciated.

Sponsored

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

BOTTOM LINE .... Ford has sent and delivered Broncos with the WRONG oil dipstick!! And will keep doing so until a class action LAW SUIT bites 'em the ass!

FORD MUST DO A RECALL AND SEND OUT out the proper dipsticks.

Gtrekker

Wildtrak
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Braptor, Audi, M1102 Overland Trailer 2-B
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So the gist is that 7 is right and ignore the dip stick? Seems like a pretty critical error I would expect Ford to address ASAP, considering the implications of the error and how many people do their own oil changes.
Hey, I'm just reading through all this... So do I gather the oil dipstick is set / marked full at 6 qts? That doesn't really work for me, could get as much as 2qts low before I catch it if forget the dipstick is off. Hmmmm....

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Hey, I'm just reading through all this... So do I gather the oil dipstick is set / marked full at 6 qts? That doesn't really work for me, could get as much as 2qts low before I catch it if forget the dipstick is off. Hmmmm....
.... and meanwhile Ford keeps sending out bullshit like calendars, posters, flags and hammocks .... send me a friggin dipstick FFS!

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Dang you’re right.

I sometimes forget Ford doesn’t have any division in the company and it’s just one group of people working on all specialized fields.
Exactly, just like Toyota ...

Dragline

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Yukon Denali, GMC Sierra 1500, Honda Civic, Chevy C3500
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
So far we have seen zero issues attributed to lack of oil or excess oil. Seems like a non-issue whether you add 7 qts or just keep it in the marks on the stick.
Sponsored