Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Same dipstick part number (engineering number, actually) as the rest, it appears...and (according to that particular stick) overfilled with 7 quarts. The mystery remains unsolved. At least yours is not halfway up the twist at 7 quarts. Part of the fun factor of owning a new Bronco I guess...diverse oil readings! It would be interesting to hear what your service advisor says if you bring up that after they changed your oil that it reads over the max line (which, according to the manual, should be immediately drained down to no higher than the full mark). I imagine your initial reading reflected most but not all of the oil prior to the full drain back time elapsing.
i refilled mine with 6.5qts

@Frankie945 doesn't look like it has the twist or ribbon whatever its called ... dont see the 2 holes either
Sponsored

Roll Sound

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wildtrack 2DR MIC OW, 2014 KTM RC8R
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

@Frankie945 doesn't look like it has the twist or ribbon whatever its called ... dont see the 2 holes either
They just are out of frame to the left. Compare where his numbers end on the left to mine. You Can just see it start to twist far left. It's the same.

Last edited:

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Someone probably already posted the dipstick reading before 1st oil change, but I just checked mine out of curiosity. I have 900 miles on it and it is just about 1/4” over the top mark.
Full mark or max mark?

Jer

Badlands
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands,2017 F350, 2023 F150L, 1976 K20
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Frankie945

Base
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Q50
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

They’re there just didn’t get it in the pic. Was snowing and cold I did it in a hurry. Tried to get pic of the actual oil level on the stick but but my phone wouldn’t focus on it. Wish the iPhone 12 had a macro camera lens.

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

this issue has been put to rest .. watch this video. The 2.7 does indeed take 7 quarts

So I finally got around to watching this video. Some good information for beginners, but is results are completely irrelevant.

The question is not how many quarts of oil are in the engine... We know that answer and it's 7. We know it takes a while to drain the oil.

Where is evaluation went down the tubes is that he let his vehicle sit forever to drain all the oil (he even states it is a very slow drain back) yet when he puts oil back in and checks the dipstick, he doesn't wait the same amount of time (or At least a significant amount of time)

In other words, what good is it to let your vehicle sit overnight to make sure to get out seven quarts, if your trying to read your dipstick 15 minutes after dumping oil in it?

Question is never been how many quarts should it hold, the question has been what should the dipstick say when it's been sitting.

If four design the dipstick, taking into account slow drain back and trying to time it so that at 10 to 15 minutes enough has drained back to read on the max line but if you wait longer than it goes over... That's just a FU design. My dipstick should read the same level whether I've waited 30 minutes or 24 hours.

tjnoffy

Outer Banks
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco OBX Sas, '05 Mustang GT Conv, 2 Harleys
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Maybe the capacity debate has been somewhat put to rest (although I've still read some contention on here about dry capacity vs. service capacity, etc.), but this still doesn't explain whether or not the dipstick is a reliable source for measurement, nor does it necessarily imply that you should always dump 7qts back in depending on the draining technique you use...
Agreed. In my 40+ years of changing oil, the dipstick has always been the accurate tool to determine if you have enough oil in the pan. Doesn't matter how much you drain out - different engines under various conditions drain different amounts of their oil out - all that matters is that after filling, the level is at a known, accurate mark on the stick that the engineers intended. I have never blindly filled an engine with the amount set in the manual, be it 5 qts or 6 qts or whatever. I've always put in less than called for, waited, measured, and repeated until the oil fills to the right mark.

All this is to say that until we have a known, accurate mark on a dipstick that reflects the accurate amount of oil for this engine, it's all guesswork, and that could be dangerous, especially for those of us off-roading. @Ford Motor Company needs to get us the correct dipsticks on which we can trust the "Full" mark. Period.

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Agreed. In my 40+ years of changing oil, the dipstick has always been the accurate tool to determine if you have enough oil in the pan. Doesn't matter how much you drain out - different engines under various conditions drain different amounts of their oil out - all that matters is that after filling, the level is at a known, accurate mark on the stick that the engineers intended. I have never blindly filled an engine with the amount set in the manual, be it 5 qts or 6 qts or whatever. I've always put in less than called for, waited, measured, and repeated until the oil fills to the right mark.

All this is to say that until we have a known, accurate mark on a dipstick that reflects the accurate amount of oil for this engine, it's all guesswork, and that could be dangerous, especially for those of us off-roading. @Ford Motor Company needs to get us the correct dipsticks on which we can trust the "Full" mark. Period.
EXACTLY what I've been trying to say!

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So I finally got around to watching this video. Some good information for beginners, but is results are completely irrelevant.

The question is not how many quarts of oil are in the engine... We know that answer and it's 7. We know it takes a while to drain the oil.

Where is evaluation went down the tubes is that he let his vehicle sit forever to drain all the oil (he even states it is a very slow drain back) yet when he puts oil back in and checks the dipstick, he doesn't wait the same amount of time (or At least a significant amount of time)

In other words, what good is it to let your vehicle sit overnight to make sure to get out seven quarts, if your trying to read your dipstick 15 minutes after dumping oil in it?

Question is never been how many quarts should it hold, the question has been what should the dipstick say when it's been sitting.

If four design the dipstick, taking into account slow drain back and trying to time it so that at 10 to 15 minutes enough has drained back to read on the max line but if you wait longer than it goes over... That's just a FU design. My dipstick should read the same level whether I've waited 30 minutes or 24 hours.
Agree 10000%...and why isn't this an issue on 2.7 F150s with the SAME overall engine design (even taking into consideration a different pan...point being those owners don't appear to have to get out a timer to enjoy an accurate dipstick reading)? Sheeesh...additionally, 2.7 F150s don't appear to be losing engines...dunno if our weird guess-designed dipsticks and mystery oil levels are related to such Bronco 2.7 failures, but it wouldn't surprise me at this point. I love my Bronco but it is unsettling to perseverate on whether or not my engine may quit while trying to cross an intersection in front of a semi.

Last edited:

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

It'll be interesting to see what happens with all these quick lube places. No way in hell they're waiting forever to get all the oil out.

They're going to pull the drain plug wait till it gets to a slow drip and move on.

Question is: do these places blindly add oil based on capacity, or do they use the dipstick after just a couple minutes?

Last edited:

Sponsored

MarkusBigBucks

Badlands
First Name
Markus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Superduty 7.3 PSD, 2017 Ford Escape.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you do the maintenance at the recommended intervals and use approved fluids and filters, you've done all you can. The service life of these things is realistically 10 years of "normal" use. There's going to be a ton of other stuff nickel and dime you after the 5yr/60K engine warranty runs out that will guide further investment. In most cases, I'd say a little more oil is more desirable than less.

Ford still needs to fix the damn dipstick.
I’ve got a 2000 ford Superduty I bought brand new , still drives runs great , doesn’t nickel dime me at all. Matter a fact I just drove it from Washington state to Missouri on a hunting trip and it purred like a baby. But I do all my own maintenance and
I take great care of it, and I have done longevity maintenance at 20 years. Love Ford vehicles, but I am pissed about my hardtop on my FE, but that’s not done yet so I am being patient and giving them time to figure out how they will handle the situation.

and yes they need to fix the dam dip stick!

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I’ve got a 2000 ford Superduty I bought brand new , still drives runs great , doesn’t nickel dime me at all. Matter a fact I just drove it from Washington state to Missouri on a hunting trip and it purred like a baby. But I do all my own maintenance and
I take great care of it, and I have done longevity maintenance at 20 years. Love Ford vehicles, but I am pissed about my hardtop on my FE, but that’s not done yet so I am being patient and giving them time to figure out how they will handle the situation.

and yes they need to fix the dam dip stick!
I think the nickel and diming will be on failed window motors, water pump, fuel pump, belts, etc etc ... honestly i wonder how long the window will move down enough when you open a door and will not leak ... i think thats the first thing to go

Zenithon

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Dodge Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

I had my oil changed on my 2021 Ford Bronco 2.7L EcoBoost today and the dipstick shows the oil way over filled. between 1/2 inch and 3/4 inches too high on the dipstick (see attached file). From what I am reading here, and I admit I did not read all 14 pages of posts, but it seems like there is some consensus that there should be 7 quarts for an oil change. There's even a lot of comments regarding the dipstick design being designed wrong. So I decided to go to my manual, which is posted online on my Ford account. It seems to be stating that the oil capacity, including the oil filter is 5.7 L (see attached file). So I made the conversion from Liters to quarts and 5.7L is equal to approximately 6.02 quarts. So what is going on here? Is 6 quarts or 7 quarts correct? I understand your post is a couple of months old now, but I don't see this information anywhere else, and I've been looking at lots of videos and other info online. Does anyone have more info? I am going back to my dealer in the morning. I have printed out the attached files and am going to show them that info, but I really want to make sure the correct amount of oil is in the engine. Any help would be appreciated.

2.7L Ecoboost Ford Bronco Manual - Oil Change.jpg

dipstick.jpg

Avon

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I had my oil changed on my 2021 Ford Bronco 2.7L EcoBoost today and the dipstick shows the oil way over filled. between 1/2 inch and 3/4 inches too high on the dipstick (see attached file). From what I am reading here, and I admit I did not read all 14 pages of posts, but it seems like there is some consensus that there should be 7 quarts for an oil change. There's even a lot of comments regarding the dipstick design being designed wrong. So I decided to go to my manual, which is posted online on my Ford account. It seems to be stating that the oil capacity, including the oil filter is 5.7 L (see attached file). So I made the conversion from Liters to quarts and 5.7L is equal to approximately 6.02 quarts. So what is going on here? Is 6 quarts or 7 quarts correct? I understand your post is a couple of months old now, but I don't see this information anywhere else, and I've been looking at lots of videos and other info online. Does anyone have more info? I am going back to my dealer in the morning. I have printed out the attached files and am going to show them that info, but I really want to make sure the correct amount of oil is in the engine. Any help would be appreciated.

2.7L Ecoboost Ford Bronco Manual - Oil Change.jpg

dipstick.jpg

Ford Bronco Bronco Team Engineering Confirms 7.0 Quarts for 2.7L Engine Oil Change is Correct dipstick

Ford Bronco Bronco Team Engineering Confirms 7.0 Quarts for 2.7L Engine Oil Change is Correct dipstick
The capacities you attached are for the 2.3 L, not the 2.7
Sponsored