Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Just did my first oil change, and wanted to see if others on this thread have seen this? You know there is this whole thing about….does it really take 7qts of oil? In my case, it did. My dipstick is not like the ones being talked about, with the hash marks, mine just has two holes, one for minimum and one for maximum. I first put in 6qts, just to be safe and it ended up at the bottom hole, put in one more and it ended up at the top hole…like I expected.

My question is, do others have this new dipstick too, or do others have the one with hash marks on it? I wouldn't be opposed to pulling out the dipstick to measure it versus someone that has the one with hash marks, if anyone is interested. Curious minds want to know ;-)
Is your Bronco a 22?
Sponsored

Sponsored

AMTRV

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands 4dr, 22 6.7L Tremor, 1940 Ford Cpe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What I did:
Remove the plug. Drain the oil(allow 10 minutes for oil to drain).
Remove and replace filter.
Refill with 7 quarts of oil.
Start engine………run for a minute.
Pull and wipe dipstick.
Insert dipstick. Pull dipstick….note oil level.
Mark dipstick.
Sleep better knowing that you know what “full” is on your dipstick…..geez

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What I did:
Remove the plug. Drain the oil(allow 10 minutes for oil to drain).
Remove and replace filter.
Refill with 7 quarts of oil.
Start engine………run for a minute.
Pull and wipe dipstick.
Insert dipstick. Pull dipstick….note oil level.
Mark dipstick.
Sleep better knowing that you know what “full” is on your dipstick…..geez
Unless you wait at least 15 minutes after you refill, not all the oil that was circulated during the one-minute run will have returned to the pan...and whatever mark you put on the dipstick will not reflect the level that should be obtained following the procedure outlined in the manual. It will reflect the level of oil from the sequence you followed, but that is not going to be the most accurate way to get the intended reading (unless all your future checks are after running your engine for at least one minute and then getting a reading immediately thereafter instead of using the method the manual provides). I hope to get a new stick as soon as I can and ideally my oil level after a change from that point (following the procedure in the manual) will provide an accurate reading. I don't think asking for our inaccurate sticks to be replaced with ones we don't have to scribe ourselves is too much to ask of Ford. Or maybe it is?

AMTRV

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands 4dr, 22 6.7L Tremor, 1940 Ford Cpe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My suggestion works….period. Continue worrying if you like.
Yes, your Bronco should have the correct dipstick, but until you’re satisfied that it does my suggestion works just fine…..has for years.

Sponsored

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My suggestion works….period. Continue worrying if you like.
Yes, your Bronco should have the correct dipstick, but until you’re satisfied that it does my suggestion works just fine…..has for years.
I am not worrying...I am just a little bummed that Ford couldn't produce an accurate dipstick and that they have remained silent on their screw up. Marking a stick with the correct oil level when the correct quantity of oil is added after an oil change does not require extensive skills or knowledge...hence the fact that it works (period). I was just trying to gently point out that if someone on the forum is coming from a limited mechanical background that if they opt to use the "scribe your own line on the inaccurate dipstick" method that they should make sure that they follow the actual recommended procedure of allowing the oil to drain back for at least 15 minutes after the engine is shut off (not for only one minute as you suggested). If they do, they will scribe a line that reads much lower at that one minute mark than it will 15 minutes later. If you check your oil at one minute versus 15, you will find a significant change in the level. If you personally are the only one changing your oil, and you scribe your line at one minute and always replicate that procedure, sure it will yield the same consistent result. If however someone on this forum scribed that line at one minute and then someone else checks the oil level in that dipstick when they are supposed to (after 15 minutes), the stick will read high. It is unfortunate that you have had to rely on scribing your sticks for years, because most other manufacturers have been able to crack the code of producing accurate dipsticks. The Bronco is the first car I have owned or worked on in several decades with a factory "option" of an inaccurate dipstick.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Assuming, and that's a big assume, that Ford actually did it correct from the factory, then the answer is to shut your engine off, wait for 15 minutes, and mark your dipstick BEFORE changing your oil. (Preferably do this as soon as you get your Bronco home)

Now you have a reference for all future oil changes.

bytheway

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Assuming, and that's a big assume, that Ford actually did it correct from the factory, then the answer is to shut your engine off, wait for 15 minutes, and mark your dipstick BEFORE changing your oil. (Preferably do this as soon as you get your Bronco home)

Now you have a reference for all future oil changes.
We will know in a couple of days if the "new" dipstick is the one we want for a correct oil level mark without having to make the mark ourselves...I ordered it yesterday and will report back as soon as I get it. The PN lists it as correct for 2022 Broncos as of 5/9/22.

drew707

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We will know in a couple of days if the "new" dipstick is the one we want for a correct oil level mark without having to make the mark ourselves...I ordered it yesterday and will report back as soon as I get it. The PN lists it as correct for 2022 Broncos as of 5/9/22.
From what I’ve been told the twist has been moved higher up to avoid accumulating drainback oil causing issues with reading the oil level
Sponsored