Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So what’s the deal. Is it 6 or 7 qts? I’m getting my first oil change tomorrow. Why the F is this a debate? Oil capacity should not be open to interpretation… I don’t give a S if it’s 6 or 7 qt, I just want it be be right.
Exactly what ^^^ said. There is no confusion... Ford has made it clear it is 6 qts.

The only question is if you trust Ford. I'd feel alot more confident if they, themselves, where not filling them past the max line from the factory. It is as if the assembly line doesn't trust Ford either :cool:
Sponsored

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So what’s the deal. Is it 6 or 7 qts? I’m getting my first oil change tomorrow. Why the F is this a debate? Oil capacity should not be open to interpretation… I don’t give a S if it’s 6 or 7 qt, I just want it be be right.
The spec according to Ford is 6 quarts. This is what it says in the newest version of the owners manuals, and the workshop manual that technicians use. However, Ford also claims that 7 will not cause any problems, so it’s completely up to you.

I ran 7 quarts for the first ~7k miles, now mine has 6 quarts since the last oil change and the newest update from Ford. Runs and performs no different.

Jon_chimpo

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The spec according to Ford is 6 quarts. This is what it says in the newest version of the owners manuals, and the workshop manual that technicians use. However, Ford also claims that 7 will not cause any problems, so it’s completely up to you.

I ran 7 quarts for the first ~7k miles, now mine has 6 quarts since the last oil change and the newest update from Ford. Runs and performs no different.
Getting oil changed right now. Service advisor just told me 6.3qt. He is looking into the correct dipstick. I already ordered the “triangle” stick it’s sitting with the advisor.
I’m going with whatever he tells me. He works for Ford, I’ll trust whatever his call is. Either way it’s documented, and under warranty. 👍🏻

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Getting oil changed right now. Service advisor just told me 6.3qt. He is looking into the correct dipstick. I already ordered the “triangle” stick it’s sitting with the advisor.
I’m going with whatever he tells me. He works for Ford, I’ll trust whatever his call is. Either way it’s documented, and under warranty. 👍🏻
Sounds good. Like I said, completely up to you. You’ll find that the correct dipstick, according to Ford, is the one that it came with from the factory. It’ll be perfectly fine either way, just go out and enjoy your Bronco 😎

Jon_chimpo

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Sounds good. Like I said, completely up to you. You’ll find that the correct dipstick, according to Ford, is the one that it came with from the factory. It’ll be perfectly fine either way, just go out and enjoy your Bronco 😎
Hell yeah brother! 🇺🇸

Sponsored

Jon_chimpo

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So per Ford service advisor, 6qts it is, and the triangle (PN MB32-6750-B) dipstick is the correct one to use. It’s done, and documented. I won’t wast anymore of my life giving a S about Bronco 2.7 TT oil capacity.

cowman

Outer Banks
First Name
cowman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
6 per that latest information from Ford. (7 according to folks who believed Ford initially but now refuse to accept the latest information). If you type your VIN at the Ford site for HTML manuals it will confirm 6. Short story...use 6 if you believe Ford, 7 if you don't.
Ford say we can run 7… short story…

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Exactly what ^^^ said. There is no confusion... Ford has made it clear it is 6 qts.

The only question is if you trust Ford. I'd feel alot more confident if they, themselves, where not filling them past the max line from the factory. It is as if the assembly line doesn't trust Ford either :cool:
I think a couple of folks who have recently taken delivery indicated theirs were at the full mark (with H sticks) so perhaps Ford
Ford say we can run 7… short story…
You do you. Ford also officially says 6 is the correct capacity. Interesting you are so adamant that Ford was initially correct but now you think they are making up the most current information. For anyone just tuning into this lengthy thread, it's important to note that Ford's latest information does NOT state "7 quarts is correct." Although the SSM, which MOST owners will never read or have direct access to, says "running 7 won't cause damage," that is NOT the same thing as saying "6 quarts is the CORRECT capacity." If you read the latest HTML manual, intended for YOUR VIN, note that it states 6 quarts. The correct (and only) dipstick currently in the parts catalog for the 2.7 (with the H handle) is intended to accurately measure 6 quarts. I sincerely hope that anyone who chooses to run 7 (or 8 or 9 or 5 or literally however much they want) doesn't "harm the engine," but if the question being asked is "what is the CORRECT amount," it is 6 (per Ford).

cowman

Outer Banks
First Name
cowman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I think a couple of folks who have recently taken delivery indicated theirs were at the full mark (with H sticks) so perhaps Ford

You do you. Ford also officially says 6 is the correct capacity. Interesting you are so adamant that Ford was initially correct but now you think they are making up the most current information. For anyone just tuning into this lengthy thread, it's important to note that Ford's latest information does NOT state "7 quarts is correct." Although the SSM, which MOST owners will never read or have direct access to, says "running 7 won't cause damage," that is NOT the same thing as saying "6 quarts is the CORRECT capacity." If you read the latest HTML manual, intended for YOUR VIN, note that it states 6 quarts. The correct (and only) dipstick currently in the parts catalog for the 2.7 (with the H handle) is intended to accurately measure 6 quarts. I sincerely hope that anyone who chooses to run 7 (or 8 or 9 or 5 or literally however much they want) doesn't "harm the engine," but if the question being asked is "what is the CORRECT amount," it is 6 (per Ford).
If Ford says you can run 7… how can it ruin your engine??? If it would … do you not think Ford would have said so??? I still think they put the wrong stick in… but either way they need to say what their mistake was… wrong stick or wrong fill amounts

Last edited:

VIRUS

Badlands
First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck, car, feet
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This new age oil wrestling is less interesting than what we had back in college.

Sponsored

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If Ford says you can run 7… how can it ruin your engine??? If it would … do you not think Ford would have said so??? I still think they put the wrong stick in… but either way they need to say what their mistake was… wrong stick or wrong fill amounts
I never said 7 would "ruin an engine"...all I am trying to get across is that if the question is "what is the oil capacity on a Bronco with a 2.7" the answer (from Ford) is currently "6 quarts." Debating on this forum about whether or not 7 quarts fits (we know it does...I imagine you can even "fit" more than that...) or whether it is the "ideal" amount for our tastes or WHY we think Ford changed horses midstream is completely irrelevant (in regard to the question of "what is the CORRECT amount?").

As for what I think, which really doesn't matter because I am not affiliated with Ford, is that a major manufacturer (hopefully) wouldn't be foolish enough to intentionally change something as important as the oil capacity amount simply "because they put the wrong stick in." They already added a NEW stick to the parts catalog (which shoots holes in your theory that Ford is trying to do some kind of "stick cover up"). Most importantly, you seem to believe in Ford's initial 7 quart capacity so passionately (given your "do you not think Ford would have said so?" question) yet Ford recently DID "say so" that the 2.7 oil capacity is 6 quarts. Given that line of thinking, why do you not think 6 is the correct amount (because Ford said so)? The same company that you are so stuck on the 7 quart thing with is now informing anyone who can read the HTML manual it is 6, but you seem to think their recent update is "fake news " If they would have told you it was 5 quarts when you first received your Bronco I imagine you'd be sticking to that number simply because you haven't seemed to realize that there is value in something called "updated information."

cowman

Outer Banks
First Name
cowman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I never said 7 would "ruin an engine"...all I am trying to get across is that if the question is "what is the oil capacity on a Bronco with a 2.7" the answer (from Ford) is currently "6 quarts." Debating on this forum about whether or not 7 quarts fits (we know it does...I imagine you can even "fit" more than that...) or whether it is the "ideal" amount for our tastes or WHY we think Ford changed horses midstream is completely irrelevant (in regard to the question of "what is the CORRECT amount?").

As for what I think, which really doesn't matter because I am not affiliated with Ford, is that a major manufacturer (hopefully) wouldn't be foolish enough to intentionally change something as important as the oil capacity amount simply "because they put the wrong stick in." They already added a NEW stick to the parts catalog (which shoots holes in your theory that Ford is trying to do some kind of "stick cover up"). Most importantly, you seem to believe in Ford's initial 7 quart capacity so passionately (given your "do you not think Ford would have said so?" question) yet Ford recently DID "say so" that the 2.7 oil capacity is 6 quarts. Given that line of thinking, why do you not think 6 is the correct amount (because Ford said so)? The same company that you are so stuck on the 7 quart thing with is now informing anyone who can read the HTML manual it is 6, but you seem to think their recent update is "fake news " If they would have told you it was 5 quarts when you first received your Bronco I imagine you'd be sticking to that number simply because you haven't seemed to realize that there is value in something called "updated information."
Your quote….. I sincerely hope that anyone who chooses to run 7 (or 8 or 9 or 5 or literally however much they want) doesn't "harm the engine," …. Why not worry about 6???? Looks to me like you think running 7 could ruin a engine…and I still think the update was to keep from a stick recall… because Ford has never admitted a mistake on their part on this oil fill… And why a new 6 qts stick…. It already has one…. It i not easier to read… as some say…. Just changed the twist…the holes and the markings are the same…. Now Ford has changed the capacity…. Why won’t they explain why!!!!!! Answer that question….

Funkdoobiest

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Basesquanch First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I think a couple of folks who have recently taken delivery indicated theirs were at the full mark (with H sticks)
So people are starting to get the H sticks (max full 6 qts) with a normal full reading? Did they post on here?

Last edited:

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Your quote….. I sincerely hope that anyone who chooses to run 7 (or 8 or 9 or 5 or literally however much they want) doesn't "harm the engine," …. Why not worry about 6???? Looks to me like you think running 7 could ruin a engine…and I still think the update was to keep from a stick recall… because Ford has never admitted a mistake on their part on this oil fill… And why a new 6 qts stick…. It already has one…. It i not easier to read… as some say…. Just changed the twist…the holes and the markings are the same…. Now Ford has changed the capacity…. Why won’t they explain why!!!!!! Answer that question….
Tip...notes that quotations at the beginning and end of a word or phrase indicate the writer is quoting someone ELSE. The "harm the engine" thing is something you brought up...I was revisiting what you had brought up. To make it simple...I hope if you or anyone else who decides to not follow the most recent information form Ford doesn't experience a negative outcome...whatever that may be.

I am not Ford so I have zero clue as to WHY they do the things they do. If 6 quarts does eventually "ruin the engine," (note the quotes there...your words not mine) that will be on Ford...because the latest information states that 6 is the correct amount. I would wager that Ford has better things to do than send you (or the rest of us) a personal letter that explains in intimate detail what they were thinking or any form of explanation or apology. Also, again, I never said (nor do I think) that running 7 quarts will "ruin an engine" (quotes again...your words not mine). What I will say is that, as a mechanic, I personally would rather run my oil slightly low than too high. As long as the pickup in the pan remains submerged in oil, uninterrupted, the engine should have oil pressure. The reason dipsticks have a "low" mark is because it is NORMAL for all engines to consume oil over time...and as long as owners keep the oil level above the low mark, there should be adequate lubrication. Any other mechanic on this forum who wants to chime in will also more than likely agree that TOO much oil, on the other hand, CAN lead to issues ("ruin" an engine is an oversimplification...what is more accurate would be words like "aeration" or "foaming" or "sheared oil molecules" or "leaking past seals" or "sporadic oil pressure loss "). Again, because I am not a Ford engineer, I have zero idea at what threshold the oil level in a 2.7 factoring in potential angle changes does to actually using a rig to wheel, becomes an issue. Based on all the above, I will simply stick with 6 quarts for now (like "Ford says").

I will also wager that even if 7 is the "correct" amount, there is little chance that Ford will go BACK to that recommendation AFTER all the scrutiny they received prior to them making the public (current) recommendation to use 6. All the more reason to simply...use 6. You apparently do your own oil changes, so if using 7 makes you happy then there is nothing stopping you.

As for the twist relocation on the C stick, some have speculated that it has been raised due to the drain back location. That theory makes total sense because the first 6 quart stick Ford used was not engineered for the Bronco...it was from a completely different platform (reusing existing parts in new models is not an uncommon practice). If the C stick twist location has been deemed appropriate, it may provide a more accurate reading in a shorter time period than the initial stick (by being located above the drain back). Additionally, if the new stick was produced only for the Bronco with a 2.7, and if it is now the ONLY stick listed as correct, it should reduce confusion as to which stick is the "right" one down the road. That is my personal opinion, not fact...but the takeaway for new members or folks just tuning in to this lengthy thread is that 6 quarts and the H handle (C model) stick are currently "correct." Anyone who wants to continue the debate/conspiracy theory/what-abouts should start a new thread called "why it is my opinion that 7 quarts is better than 6 even though Ford now says to use 6."

cowman

Outer Banks
First Name
cowman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Tip...notes that quotations at the beginning and end of a word or phrase indicate the writer is quoting someone ELSE. The "harm the engine" thing is something you brought up...I was revisiting what you had brought up. To make it simple...I hope if you or anyone else who decides to not follow the most recent information form Ford doesn't experience a negative outcome...whatever that may be.

I am not Ford so I have zero clue as to WHY they do the things they do. If 6 quarts does eventually "ruin the engine," (note the quotes there...your words not mine) that will be on Ford...because the latest information states that 6 is the correct amount. I would wager that Ford has better things to do than send you (or the rest of us) a personal letter that explains in intimate detail what they were thinking or any form of explanation or apology. Also, again, I never said (nor do I think) that running 7 quarts will "ruin an engine" (quotes again...your words not mine). What I will say is that, as a mechanic, I personally would rather run my oil slightly low than too high. As long as the pickup in the pan remains submerged in oil, uninterrupted, the engine should have oil pressure. The reason dipsticks have a "low" mark is because it is NORMAL for all engines to consume oil over time...and as long as owners keep the oil level above the low mark, there should be adequate lubrication. Any other mechanic on this forum who wants to chime in will also more than likely agree that TOO much oil, on the other hand, CAN lead to issues ("ruin" an engine is an oversimplification...what is more accurate would be words like "aeration" or "foaming" or "sheared oil molecules" or "leaking past seals" or "sporadic oil pressure loss "). Again, because I am not a Ford engineer, I have zero idea at what threshold the oil level in a 2.7 factoring in potential angle changes does to actually using a rig to wheel, becomes an issue. Based on all the above, I will simply stick with 6 quarts for now (like "Ford says").

I will also wager that even if 7 is the "correct" amount, there is little chance that Ford will go BACK to that recommendation AFTER all the scrutiny they received prior to them making the public (current) recommendation to use 6. All the more reason to simply...use 6. You apparently do your own oil changes, so if using 7 makes you happy then there is nothing stopping you.

As for the twist relocation on the C stick, some have speculated that it has been raised due to the drain back location. That theory makes total sense because the first 6 quart stick Ford used was not engineered for the Bronco...it was from a completely different platform (reusing existing parts in new models is not an uncommon practice). If the C stick twist location has been deemed appropriate, it may provide a more accurate reading in a shorter time period than the initial stick (by being located above the drain back). Additionally, if the new stick was produced only for the Bronco with a 2.7, and if it is now the ONLY stick listed as correct, it should reduce confusion as to which stick is the "right" one down the road. That is my personal opinion, not fact...but the takeaway for new members or folks just tuning in to this lengthy thread is that 6 quarts and the H handle (C model) stick are currently "correct." Anyone who wants to continue the debate/conspiracy theory/what-abouts should start a new thread called "why it is my opinion that 7 quarts is better than 6 even though Ford now says to use 6."
All Ford has to do is make one official announcement of why they changed the fill… until then…. I believe the fill is 7qt… no way Ford could or would for over a year have the wrong fill without some one noticing…And yes…. being a Bronco owner Ford needs to give ME and everyone else a answer…
Sponsored