First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Have you heard anything from engineering??? I bet the odds are you won’t…
Hmmmmm...Ford "needs" to give you an answer, but you are betting they won't...so probably time to move on, don't you think? You are already running 7 and I imagine you will keep doing that. The bigger question is, even if Ford calls you personally and tells you the correct amount is 6 quarts, would you believe them? It seems like you already made up your mind a long time ago...regardless of what Ford says.

As for an all out "condemnation" of 7 quarts, that won't happen...Ford already indicated that it "won't harm the engine." What we are taking about here, however, is the "correct" amount. It is 6 quarts, and if you follow the latest HTML version of your owner's manual, it clearly indicates that an owner should not fill past the max mark (7 quarts would put the level wel above the full mark on the H handled sticks). I, like everyone else, would feel better if Ford would clarify why their SSM (7 quarts won't harm the engine) contradicts the 6 quart capacity/don't fill past the max mark instructions in the latest HTML manual, but because MOST folks have zero idea what a SSM is, the overwhelming majority of people who are NOT in this forum and who are just now taking delivery of their late build Broncos will more than likely be blissfully unaware of this entire thread and simply run 6 quarts.

BTW, LOTS of people noticed that 7 quarts didn't coincide with the max mark on the H stick for over a year...I got my Bronco in October and the first time I checked the oil I knew something was wonky...if you check the posts many people expressed their concerns (so clearly Ford was aware). Their technicians would have noticed sticks showing overfilled during PDIs. Ford does not want to pay out damages or risk an even worse reputation, so intentionally running thousands of engines too low on oil (if 6 quarts truly is too low) would be a bonehead move on their part (simply to cover up a dipstick screw up...especially one they already admitted to).
Sponsored

mountainbronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
like I said earlier, it is now 35 pages of confusion, now multiplied with build year and version combinations out there. All Ford needs to do is issue a damn clarification to the customers (not a useless service advisory) and that would be it. But no, of course not, instead we have all our members in each others hair.......................

Like I said earlier, what a cluster XXXX

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
like I said earlier, it is now 35 pages of confusion, now multiplied with build year and version combinations out there. All Ford needs to do is issue a damn clarification to the customers (not a useless service advisory) and that would be it. But no, of course not, instead we have all our members in each others hair.......................

Like I said earlier, what a cluster XXXX
Agreed. Given that Ford has not officially provided any information whatsoever on what prompted the 7 to 6 quart swap or if 7 was ever accurate to begin with, in over a year, it's pretty safe to assume that they're not going to address it. For that reason IMHO it make sense to focus on the current listed capacity (and for an administrator to just shut this thread down). I have no desire to be in anyone's hair but I do believe that continuing to post inaccurate information will confuse folks seeking useful information.

KPLOBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Here’s my dipstick. My 2022 built 8/29 has “H” dipstick. Oil is above the hash halfway up to the twist. However much damn oil it takes to fill to the same spot as the delivered level is what it should be.
Ford Bronco Bronco Team Engineering Confirms 7.0 Quarts for 2.7L Engine Oil Change is Correct 288D0B60-2343-4298-90BA-93066FC30396

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Here’s my dipstick. My 2022 built 8/29 has “H” dipstick. Oil is above the hash halfway up to the twist. However much damn oil it takes to fill to the same spot as the delivered level is what it should be.
Ford Bronco Bronco Team Engineering Confirms 7.0 Quarts for 2.7L Engine Oil Change is Correct 288D0B60-2343-4298-90BA-93066FC30396
Thanks for the update with a recent build. I'm interested to see if the dry fill ever changes.

Going by memory, the H stick is the 2nd generation 6qt service fill stick. That would put the twist higher than than the first gen 6qt stick.
If the first gen 6qt stick was reading 1/2 up the twist with 7.5qt dry fill it would appear you're measuring well above that. If the hash mark length, or hole-to-hole length is 1qt, I estimate from your picture you're above 8qts.

I would quadruple check I'm following the recommended oil check procedure using a timer to measure the intervals.
If I still measured that high, I would take it to the dealer for adjustment. If I was more motivated, I would perform an oil change so I could measure how much drained out.

That looks so much higher than any I've seen posted on the forum. Could be a screw-up from the factory.

Sponsored

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks for the update with a recent build. I'm interested to see if the dry fill ever changes.

Going by memory, the H stick is the 2nd generation 6qt service fill stick. That would put the twist higher than than the first gen 6qt stick.
If the first gen 6qt stick was reading 1/2 up the twist with 7.5qt dry fill it would appear you're measuring well above that. If the hash mark length, or hole-to-hole length is 1qt, I estimate from your picture you're above 8qts.

I would quadruple check I'm following the recommended oil check procedure using a timer to measure the intervals.
If I still measured that high, I would take it to the dealer for adjustment. If I was more motivated, I would perform an oil change so I could measure how much drained out.

That looks so much higher than any I've seen posted on the forum. Could be a screw-up from the factory.
Absolutely...either H handle stick should now measure full when the level is actually at the full mark (per the latest Ford HTML manual). There could well be someone on the line reverting to old information and apparently someone at the dealer doing the PDIs who missed the "checking the oil" step. If you measure what comes out at your first oil change including the filter housing drain it should be in the neighboorhood of nearly 6 quarts (the filter holds several ounces). If you get more than that out, and you add 6 upon refill, your stick should then measure accurately.

KPLOBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

That’s interesting, hopefully I’m not overfilled but that seems unlikely. I’m taking an educated guess that the oil fill process at the factory is metered.

On the other hand the old stick looks like the twist is just further down closer to the hash.. so the oil level is the same level relative to the hash… but the twist is just higher. IDK you guys. Anybody else with a recent build care to post a pic of their dipstick?

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That’s interesting, hopefully I’m not overfilled but that seems unlikely. I’m taking an educated guess that the oil fill process at the factory is metered.

On the other hand the old stick looks like the twist is just further down closer to the hash.. so the oil level is the same level relative to the hash… but the twist is just higher. IDK you guys. Anybody else with a recent build care to post a pic of their dipstick?
I'm only going on memory. I would take a couple more readings following the procedure in the owners manual. It's pretty specific with wait time.

I agree it seems unlikely to have been filled more than any other Bronco rolling down the line.

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

I have the old and the new (and the Raptor stick)...the old and new are marked in exactly the same locations for the full mark. The twist is higher on the (new) C stick, but it is a moot point if the goal is simply filling the oil to the full mark per the manual. The theory is that the twist was moved up due to the drain back location (but that has not been confirmed). The only way to know exactly how much oil is in your pan is to drain the old and refill it...then check the level per the steps in the manual. Then owners can either choose to follow the newest capacity (6) or add whatever amount they believe is the correct amount (which many folks have strong opinions about...just read through the various threads and note the 6.5/7 etc. banter).

dweskamp

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GMC truck
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So what does the dipstick read with 7 quarts? The Dealership changed mine, they didn't specify on the paperwork how much they put in. My dipstick shows overfull, so assuming they put 7 back in....
Mine was between the 2 lines with 6 after waiting 15min. The 7th qt made it to the correct line.

Sponsored

BRBlue

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Agreed. Given that Ford has not officially provided any information whatsoever on what prompted the 7 to 6 quart swap or if 7 was ever accurate to begin with, in over a year, it's pretty safe to assume that they're not going to address it. For that reason IMHO it make sense to focus on the current listed capacity (and for an administrator to just shut this thread down). I have no desire to be in anyone's hair but I do believe that continuing to post inaccurate information will confuse folks seeking useful information.
Most of us on here are adults and capabale of making informed decisions on our own. No need to censor anything. Besides, what would you do with all of that free time not being able to reply to every single post on this thread 😜

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Most of us on here are adults and capabale of making informed decisions on our own. No need to censor anything. Besides, what would you do with all of that free time not being able to reply to every single post on this thread 😜
True that...it has grown a life of its own...

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Mine was between the 2 lines with 6 after waiting 15min. The 7th qt made it to the correct line.
The Raptor stick (which is not the correct stick for the 2.7) will read just below the full line at 7 quarts. The correct stick, per the most recent HTML manual with whatever VIN you have with a 2.7, will read well above the full/max markers at 7 quarts and right about at the full mark as intended with 6 quarts.

KPLOBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The Raptor stick (which is not the correct stick for the 2.7) will read just below the full line at 7 quarts. The correct stick, per the most recent HTML manual with whatever VIN you have with a 2.7, will read well above the full/max markers at 7 quarts and right about at the full mark as intended with 6 quarts.
This says to me that my Bronco should get 7 quarts. My oil change should reflect the factory oil level, plain and simple, right?

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This says to me that my Bronco should get 7 quarts. My oil change should reflect the factory oil level, plain and simple, right?
If you have a Raptor then yes 7 quarts is what the 3.0 in THAT vehicle is supposed to take. If your type in your VIN to the online HTML manual, and it you have a 2.7, then YOUR vehicle is supposed to take 6 quarts (and at 6 quarts the H handle stick will measure it accurately). Nothing stopping anyone from adding all the oil they want, but if you are looking for the most current information from Ford (and not from the myriad opinions on this well-meaning thread/forum), the updated 2.7 capacity is 6 quarts.
Sponsored