Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Tahoe LT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Man, this isn't something that Ford should be second guessing itself.

JMB

Base
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All Fords
Your Bronco Model
Base
If you have a Raptor then yes 7 quarts is what the 3.0 in THAT vehicle is supposed to take. If your type in your VIN to the online HTML manual, and it you have a 2.7, then YOUR vehicle is supposed to take 6 quarts (and at 6 quarts the H handle stick will measure it accurately). Nothing stopping anyone from adding all the oil they want, but if you are looking for the most current information from Ford (and not from the myriad opinions on this well-meaning thread/forum), the updated 2.7 capacity is 6 quarts.
But the Motorcraft oil I bought comes in 5 quart jugs.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

But the Motorcraft oil I bought comes in 5 quart jugs.
I know, hate it when a vehicle uses 6 quarts or 7. Buying an individual quart is so overpriced, all you can do I take that hit and buy two 5 quart jugs every 5th oil change.

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I know, hate it when a vehicle uses 6 quarts or 7. Buying an individual quart is so overpriced, all you can do I take that hit and buy two 5 quart jugs every 5th oil change.
Here we go...I just received the 2.7 F150 oil pan today...and I just measured from the surface of the liquid to the top of the pan rail with both 6 and 7 quarts. For comparison, Yukon measured his Bronco 2.7 oil pan with both 6 and 7 quarts in the same manner. Here are the comparisons:

Bronco oil pan:

6 quarts - .625" from surface to rail

7 quarts - .25" from surface to rail

Drum roll....

F150 oil pan:

6 quarts - 1.22" from surface to rail

7 quarts - .70" from surface to rail

That means the F150 pan holds MORE oil than the "7 quart" Bronco oil pan. It also means that even with 6 quarts in our Bronco oil pans (as per the latest information from Ford) that we already have an oil level that is even closer (by over a half inch) to the block. For those of you that still want to run 7, your oil level will be over another half inch closer. I am certain even with this information (the measurements, not my opinions) the 6 vs. 7 camp will still remain divided.

A big thanks to the forum member who split the cost of the F150 pan with me for this experiment!
Ford Bronco Bronco Team Engineering Confirms 7.0 Quarts for 2.7L Engine Oil Change is Correct 20221031_165608
Ford Bronco Bronco Team Engineering Confirms 7.0 Quarts for 2.7L Engine Oil Change is Correct 20221031_165156
Ford Bronco Bronco Team Engineering Confirms 7.0 Quarts for 2.7L Engine Oil Change is Correct 20221031_171755
Ford Bronco Bronco Team Engineering Confirms 7.0 Quarts for 2.7L Engine Oil Change is Correct 20221031_164738

Last edited:

Sponsored

AMTRV

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands 4dr, 22 6.7L Tremor, 1940 Ford Cpe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
“I am certain even with this information (the measurements, not my opinions) the 6 vs. 7 camp will still remain divided.”
You are right Rob.
Nor does this doesn’t explain Ford’s 7.5qt initial fill in several hundred thousand new 2.7L Broncos so far.
Thanks for all of your hard work….it really is appreciated.

Last edited:

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Here we go...I just received the 2.7 F150 oil pan today...and I just measured from the surface of the liquid to the top of the pan rail with both 6 and 7 quarts. For comparison, Yukon measured his Bronco 2.7 oil pan with both 6 and 7 quarts in the same manner. Here are the comparisons:

Bronco oil pan:

6 quarts - .625" from surface to rail

7 quarts - .25" from surface to rail

Drum roll....

F150 oil pan:

6 quarts - 1.22" from surface to rail

7 quarts - .70" from surface to rail

That means the F150 pan holds MORE oil than the "7 quart" Bronco oil pan. It also means that even with 6 quarts in our Bronco oil pans (as per the latest information from Ford) that we already have an oil level that is even closer (by over a half inch) to the block. For those of you that still want to run 7, your oil level will be over another half inch closer. I am certain even with this information (the measurements, not my opinions) the 6 vs. 7 camp will still remain divided.

A big thanks to the forum members who split the cost of the F150 pan with me for this experiment!
Thanks for doing this. Even though I’m sure it won’t change some people’s opinions on the matter, it’s still a great comparison and good information to know either way.

mountainbronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I agree, because the designed approach abd departure angles, indicative of designed max. pitch are different for these two vehicles.

Would the Bronco not need a higher fill?

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I agree, because the designed approach abd departure angles, indicative of designed max. pitch are different for these two vehicles.

That is the part I was hoping the Ford engineers would chime in on but as we all know they've remained completely silent. Rather than simply having someone add more oil to a pan with the anticipation of increased approach or departure angles it makes far more sense to simply put a baffle in the pan that retains oil around the pickup regardless of the angle...but I imagine that was tough to do with a plastic pan. Either way I call b******* on the Bronco pan being designed to hold "7 quarts." If that is the case then the F-150 pan already holds more than 7 quarts...

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Not necessarily. The pans are obviously shaped differently, maybe the deeper sump area of the bronco pan helps with cavitation without needed additional oil. I’m not an engineer so that’s just pure speculation, and just a thought though.

Sponsored

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not necessarily. The pans are obviously shaped differently, maybe the sump area of the bronco pan helps with cavitation without needed additional oil. I’m not an engineer so that’s just pure speculation, and just a thought though.
I was hoping there be some magic shape in the sump of the Bronco pan but that's not the case...
Not necessarily. The pans are obviously shaped differently, maybe the deeper sump area of the bronco pan helps with cavitation without needed additional oil. I’m not an engineer so that’s just pure speculation, and just a thought though.
So much for the deeper sump area...here is F150:
Ford Bronco Bronco Team Engineering Confirms 7.0 Quarts for 2.7L Engine Oil Change is Correct 20221031_180152
Ford Bronco Bronco Team Engineering Confirms 7.0 Quarts for 2.7L Engine Oil Change is Correct 20221031_180157

JimmyG

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords and Cadillacs
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The F150 has a plastic pickup that sits on the bottom of the pan...not sure about the Bronco. Either way, I can't fathom that Ford simply wants people to put the oil level closer to the block as their answer to off-road preparedness...and IMHO they probably figured out that although somebody at the drawing board had a grand idea for a 7-quart pan that never seemed to happen... which is why they reverted back to six. I will follow the latest 6 quart information.
Sponsored