Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Called my local dealer & spoke to the service department to confirm 6 or 7 quarts. This is the info they provided to me.
Screenshot_20230531-154016~2.png
can you plz resubmit .... i cant read it even when i enlarge it to a picture .... or just give us the text
Sponsored

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

can you plz resubmit .... i cant read it even when i enlarge it to a picture .... or just give us the text
It’s the same SSM that’s been posted 300 times. Nothing new here.

SSM 50981 2021-2022 Bronco – 2.7L GTDI Engine – Service Oil Capacity Update The 2021-2022 Bronco 2.7L GTDI engine oil capacity specification with oil filter change has been updated to 6 quarts. The workshop manual has been updated with this information and electronic versions of the owner’s manual are in process of receiving the update. Following the previously recommended capacity is not necessary, but will not cause any harm to the engine. The initial fill capacity for a new/dry engine remains 7.5 quarts.

Ford Bronco Bronco Team Engineering Confirms 7.0 Quarts for 2.7L Engine Oil Change is Correct IMG_8751

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Called my local dealer & spoke to the service department to confirm 6 or 7 quarts. This is the info they provided to me.
Ford Bronco Bronco Team Engineering Confirms 7.0 Quarts for 2.7L Engine Oil Change is Correct IMG_8751
Where are they hiding 1.5 quarts in the oiling "system", that doesn't drain on a normal oil change? Filter would be some (typically), but above claims 6 is with filter.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yeah that's the scary part. Ford is literally telling us that 1.5 qts stay hidden somewhere.

Maybe the oil cooler +lines/turbos?

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Where are they hiding 1.5 quarts in the oiling "system", that doesn't drain on a normal oil change? Filter would be some (typically), but above claims 6 is with filter.
Because typical owners never do an "initial fill" (unless they built their own vehicle on the assembly line) it is more likely that Ford simply didn't bother to change the "initial fill" specs in the SSM. When the oil level was adjusted to 6, from 7, which makes complete sense (I did a comparison with exact measurements with the 2.7 oil pan from the Bronco and from a known 6 qt pan from an F150 with the same capacity and the Bronco actually held slightly less), nothing changed with the way the engine was built...so the only way to get 6 quarts on the correct stick/in the pan was to put a quart less in from the factory. I would wager that regardless of what the blurb says about "7.5 initial fill" the engine builders are putting in 6.5. We will never know for sure unless someone from Ford who actually DOES the factory fill confirms or denies that. With 39 pages of entries in this particular forum, the takeaway (as confirmed by Ford in every which way) should be that anyone with a 2.7 in a Bronco should be adding 6 quarts after an oil drain and fill. That said, I also would wager that there are some conspiracy theorist types who will still insist on adding 7...and hopefully that goes well for them. The good news is that even the original sticks back in 2021 AND the newer PN sticks both accurately measure the correct 6 quarts. The 7 quart club either purchased Raptor sticks or scribed their own...

Sponsored

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Because typical owners never do an "initial fill" (unless they built their own vehicle on the assembly line) it is more likely that Ford simply didn't bother to change the "initial fill" specs in the SSM. When the oil level was adjusted to 6, from 7, which makes complete sense (I did a comparison with exact measurements with the 2.7 oil pan from the Bronco and from a known 6 qt pan from an F150 with the same capacity and the Bronco actually held slightly less), nothing changed with the way the engine was built...so the only way to get 6 quarts on the correct stick/in the pan was to put a quart less in from the factory. I would wager that regardless of what the blurb says about "7.5 initial fill" the engine builders are putting in 6.5. We will never know for sure unless someone from Ford who actually DOES the factory fill confirms or denies that. With 39 pages of entries in this particular forum, the takeaway (as confirmed by Ford in every which way) should be that anyone with a 2.7 in a Bronco should be adding 6 quarts after an oil drain and fill. That said, I also would wager that there are some conspiracy theorist types who will still insist on adding 7...and hopefully that goes well for them. The good news is that even the original sticks back in 2021 AND the newer PN sticks both accurately measure the correct 6 quarts. The 7 quart club either purchased Raptor sticks or scribed their own...
My Fusion takes 5.7 quarts. I had assumed maybe an offroad rig that goes off camber a lot, might have more (and/or just higher capacity due to oil temps, from more aggressive types of offroad).

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My Fusion takes 5.7 quarts. I had assumed maybe an offroad rig that goes off camber a lot, might have more (and/or just higher capacity due to oil temps, from more aggressive types of offroad).
I believe that was the original intent...the Bronco was even advertised as having a 7 quart pan for off road adventures...BUT, as I can confirm from having had one off the vehicle, there is no baffle or windage tray and it holds only 6 quarts. It appears as though the pan could have held 7 quarts...right up until Ford realized that to make it fit to clear the drivetrain up front that the pan had to be notched. Coincidentally, the notch in the pan to clear the bits up front is about the volume it would take to allow an additional quart. Ford then either forgot to notify the folks who wore the manuals or just ignored it hoping no one would notice.

Reactions: OX1

Kyleshemesh

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Until Ford comes out with a recall or some other official way of letting us know that 7qts is the correct amount I don't see the harm of filling to to 6 qts. The typical range from the maximum to minimum level line is 2-3qts. So having it at 6qts would be right in the middle IF 7 qts is correct.

deesle

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 7.3 Excursion, 2014 6.7 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My factory fill 2023 shows over the top limit dot. Any worries about that?

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Until Ford comes out with a recall or some other official way of letting us know that 7qts is the correct amount I don't see the harm of filling to to 6 qts. The typical range from the maximum to minimum level line is 2-3qts. So having it at 6qts would be right in the middle IF 7 qts is correct.
There is no recall...6 quarts IS the correct amount per your owner's manual...the SSM...etc. etc.

Sponsored

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My factory fill 2023 shows over the top limit dot. Any worries about that?
Not a big deal just fill it to six quarts the next time you change your oil and then it will be at the full mark.

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There is no recall...6 quarts IS the correct amount per your owner's manual...the SSM...etc. etc.
Type in your VIN here and note "6 quarts."

https://www.ford.com/support/owner-manuals/

It should not matter one bit to anybody on this entire forum what the claimed "factory fill" is because we're not on the assembly line building engines. There is no mystery or conspiracy from Ford to trick us into guessing the correct amount...it is literally spelled out in the owner's manual (and in the SSM to correct the blunder they initially had in the owner's manual that mistakenly indicated seven quarts).

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It should not matter one bit to anybody on this entire forum what the claimed "factory fill" is because we're not on the assembly line building engines. There is no mystery or conspiracy from Ford to trick us into guessing the correct amount...it is literally spelled out in the owner's manual (and in the SSM to correct the blunder they initially had in the owner's manual that mistakenly indicated seven quarts).
As I mentioned on post #29 of this thread I drained 7.5 quarts on my first oil change .... the oil that was filled by the factory .... then I ended up getting a new oil dipstick, supposedly the correct one .... and NOW everything is down to 6 quarts?? and all this, on the most important fluid in the engine!!

FORD SUCKS!!

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Really? Not on my Coyote, 2.0, or 2.7 EB's. it's about a quart. You think Ford is OK being down 3 quarts, or half capacity?

CarGuy

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

Ford Bronco Bronco Team Engineering Confirms 7.0 Quarts for 2.7L Engine Oil Change is Correct 1686014048530

Manual states 6 quarts.
Sponsored