Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Grand Cherokee, 2008 Suzuki B-King
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sorry if this has been covered before, but is the 7 quarts supposed to be with oil change or full tear down and rebuild? I'm assuming quite a bit of old oil is still left sitting in the turbos and oil lines after draining and its a reasonable assumption that a decent amount of oil is still lingering in the engine after draining the pan.
Sponsored

GrabberBlue

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 F-150 Raptor, 2021 Bronco FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
This is about as clear as mud.

So Ford is aware that some owners (myself included) are seeing that 7 quarts reflects as 1 quart above the maximum line. Yet they have no idea why? And while they don't know why this is, we should distrust the dipstick and blindly put in 7 quarts? It'll be comical if these have dipsticks designed for 6 quarts because the oil capacity spec changed during development.

I'm in-between two thoughts:
This needs to be resolved ASAP before this bites them in the ass.
Or
Thankfully +/- one quart isn't going to grenade engines.

wjfawb0 [hacked account]

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler JKR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I think a bigger concern on the bronco is when climbing/descending steep hills for extended periods, when does the oil pickup go dry? Under normal road driving, I doubt a quart low or high is going to destroy the engine. LS motors in GM cars had issues with oil starvation under hard cornering on a race track. Normal street driving at low rpm, no problem.

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

FSE was here and verified with bronco team engineering, 7.0qt for oil change is correct. My inquiry was the first they had received (through normal Ford channels) and they are investigating. One theory, which appears to be incorrect based on the last post, is they recycled the F150 stick. Beside it being longer, the part numbers are not the same so we can nix that. It's possible there was an engineering change since this 2.7 takes 1qt more than the other vehicles the Nano is used in. Gut tells me engineering spec'd 7qt after the indicator was designed/approved and no one caught it. Anyway, they are "officially" aware of it and looking into it.
The advertising for the Bronco engine said that it had a rededigned oil pan and sump so that the engine wouldnt be oil-starved when tilted on trails. That would account for a larger oil capacity.

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I think a bigger concern on the bronco is when climbing/descending steep hills for extended periods, when does the oil pickup go dry? Under normal road driving, I doubt a quart low or high is going to destroy the engine. LS motors in GM cars had issues with oil starvation under hard cornering on a race track. Normal street driving at low rpm, no problem.
The engine advertising says that they redesigned the engine to account for tipping on trails. I think it was in the initial bronco brochure

Last edited:

Sponsored

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford does not make any oil at all. They spec out what is required and the lowest bidder supplies it with the Ford name on it. Just like Harley Davidson but lots of HD owners pay extra for oil jugs marked with their logo. There are better oils available for this application.
Oil is oil. Dinosaur goo or synthetic accomplishes the same thing. Oil only gets changed because it gets infiltrated with carbon from the combustion process. Dirty oil reduces the protective quality. Oil doesn’t “ break down”, it just gets dirty.

Dune_Runner

First Edition
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Thank you posting this, I've been at the my local dealership dealing with this the entire afternoon. I left with 6 quarts in the truck as that's what the dipstick reads. I was actually thinking it might be some kind of oversight with the dipstick design for the Bronco. This is concerning as many people like myself intend on keeping this truck for a long time. @Ford Motor Company needs to adress this immediatly to prevent engine damage!

So what does the dipstick read with 7 quarts? The Dealership changed mine, they didn't specify on the paperwork how much they put in. My dipstick shows overfull, so assuming they put 7 back in....
this was mine after Ford did an oil change, at the top of the twist. Of course I went back to the dealership last week and had them drain some out…I guess mine is now low.

Ford Bronco Bronco Team Engineering Confirms 7.0 Quarts for 2.7L Engine Oil Change is Correct C7A82677-1BBD-4726-97C6-9E28DB7336D7

Dancox12

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So I'm good to pour in another quart? Thanks for finally bringing it to the attention of someone who can get an answer.
Well, you can put 7 quarts in assuming you drained all the old stuff out and some isn’t stuck in there. Which is going to happen to someone eventually.

Broncotrax

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 Bronco, '17 Superduity, '22 Badsquatch, CR 250R
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Oil is oil. Dinosaur goo or synthetic accomplishes the same thing. Oil only gets changed because it gets infiltrated with carbon from the combustion process. Dirty oil reduces the protective quality. Oil doesn’t “ break down”, it just gets dirty.
True, all of it but it doesn't change that certain oils are better for certain jobs.

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Watched an episode of Engine Masters where they Dino tested a motor with different oil amounts in the crank case. More HP was produced when the oil level was “ less” then required by the motor specification. No one drains and refills the crankcase to exact specifications. Half a quart high or low matters not. As an example, if you change your own oil, the next time take the empty oil jug(s) and turn them upside down into a pan overnight. You will be astonished at how much oil seeps out of the “ empty” jugs and collects in the pan. Oil that didn’t make it into the motor. If really concerned about the true amount, go to the dollar store and buy a measuring cup and measure what you drained out. Then replace that same amount.

Sponsored

broncoky

Outer Banks
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2DR CB OBX SAS & 2000 Lexus LS400
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

this was mine after Ford did an oil change, at the top of the twist. Of course I went back to the dealership last week and had them drain some out…I guess mine is now low.

Ford Bronco Bronco Team Engineering Confirms 7.0 Quarts for 2.7L Engine Oil Change is Correct C7A82677-1BBD-4726-97C6-9E28DB7336D7
I went through the exact same situation earlier today. Should we go out and buy a quart of the OEM oil from Auto Zone and put it in our Broncos? Makes you wonder what other surprises we will uncover! It's a damn Bronco scavenger hunt!

pimpjuice

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Sorry if this has been covered before, but is the 7 quarts supposed to be with oil change or full tear down and rebuild? I'm assuming quite a bit of old oil is still left sitting in the turbos and oil lines after draining and its a reasonable assumption that a decent amount of oil is still lingering in the engine after draining the pan.
There was a post I was reading the other day about this. The guy said theres a certain way you need to change the oil. If Im remembering correctly, it was get oil warm with a drive, wait 20 mins, remove the oil filter first, then drain the oil, wait at least 5 mins then fill. He even addressed the dots on the dipstick. If I find the link, I will post it. He has a popular channel on Youtube. Has a Cyber Orange Bronco

2.3BigBend

Base
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Work Beater
Your Bronco Model
Base
Another thing to note: When the 2.7 F-150 first came out, they were being grossly over filled by consumers and dealerships due to the oil having a slow drain down time. This was by design for the auto start/stop system. I remember reading horror stories of places (dealers) overfilling them by a few quarts. Ford says wait 15 minutes for proper oil drain down before checking the level. If it were me, I'd run 6.5 qts until Ford sorted this out. 😂

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

From the couple I've put my hands and eyes on, about the start of the "twist" or approximately 1/2" over the top mark.
I drained more than 7.5 qts (measured) then put in 6.5 qts and it still shows as overfill .... are you saying ignore the dipstick and just go with the printed manual?

OP
OP
flip

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is how it read as delivered from the factory or after an oil change with 7qt?
I checked our 30 mile FCTP and my 3,000 mile BL. I’m going to get mine changed if we ever get an opening and have them put in 6 and see where it reads, then add the final qt.
Sponsored