Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I drained more than 7.5 qts (measured) then put in 6.5 qts and it still shows as overfill .... are you saying ignore the dipstick and just go with the printed manual?
In my capacity as a service guy, yes. Ford would probably say the same thing but getting them on the record without legal vetting their statement first, would be highly unlikely.
Sponsored

95Bravo

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
For my inquiry to be the first they've heard is no bueno. Seems like this forum is an absolute wealth of product feedback data and early issue warning system.
WORD! Thanks for getting to the source, and getting solid info back to us!

Parker

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gr Che Overland, Corvette, Tahoe, 46 Chevy 2ton
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It is good that Ford added an extra quart to deal with the anticipated angles this poor high-strung engine is being exposed to. It is appalling that it is breaking news this late in.
When you can get a Bronco 6 to 8 weeks after ordering these issues will be solved, and I will order. Thank you all for being early-adapters.

Dragline

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Yukon Denali, GMC Sierra 1500, Honda Civic, Chevy C3500
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Until Ford comes out and says otherwise I would not overfill. Maintain it at the max fill mark. The last thing you want is to drop a valve, get towed to a dealer and have the service manager report that the engine was overfilled, and you admitted you overfilled it because of something "you read on the internet." We all know how ill-informed most of our dealers seem to be on these, they certainly won't understand this without info from Ford.

Maintaining it at the max should keep you at least in the safe operating range.

GrabberBlue

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 F-150 Raptor, 2021 Bronco FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Until Ford comes out and says otherwise I would not overfill. Maintain it at the max fill mark. The last thing you want is to drop a valve, get towed to a dealer and have the service manager report that the engine was overfilled, and you admitted you overfilled it because of something "you read on the internet." We all know how ill-informed most of our dealers seem to be on these, they certainly won't understand this without info from Ford.

Bingo. Any service manager will do anything in their power to deny, deflect and counter accuse when dealing with an engine replacement.

Ford Bronco Bronco Team Engineering Confirms 7.0 Quarts for 2.7L Engine Oil Change is Correct 517436436

A service manager called this "fine" after one of his techs filled a prefilled replacement engine with 200% of the oil capacity.

Sponsored

ColeTrain84

Badlands
First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think a bigger concern on the bronco is when climbing/descending steep hills for extended periods, when does the oil pickup go dry? Under normal road driving, I doubt a quart low or high is going to destroy the engine. LS motors in GM cars had issues with oil starvation under hard cornering on a race track. Normal street driving at low rpm, no problem.
I was also thinking this. When I had my 2002 Camaro Z28 it made just over 420rwhp and when I'd hit it from a dig and it dead hooked the oil pressure would go down at the top of 1st gear. Never had an issue but to see the oil pressure drop when I was turning a 7500rpm redline it freaked me out. A bunch of LS guys will run an extra 1/4-1/2 qt so the pan doesn't get starved. Once I did that, the issue went away.

Mango&Moose

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Scion xB / Toyota Sienna. RIP my 96 Ranger Splash
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Jesus

Ingridthehorrible

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Chevy 2500HD, 2008 Buell 1125R, 98 Buell S1W
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So what does the dipstick read with 7 quarts? The Dealership changed mine, they didn't specify on the paperwork how much they put in. My dipstick shows overfull, so assuming they put 7 back in....

Here's a dipstick pic, factory fill with approx. 200 miles after delivery

Ford Bronco Bronco Team Engineering Confirms 7.0 Quarts for 2.7L Engine Oil Change is Correct 1637634934656

Scumby

Outer Banks
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Ford had a TSB several years ago on this concern. Drain and remove filter remove oil fill cap and dip stick remove drain plug and drain oil. Let drain for up to 1 hour or until oil stops draining. Replace drain plug filter and fill with specified amount of oil replace cap and dip stick run engine for 5 minutes stop engine lit sit for 1 hour. After 1 hour remove dip stick clean reinstall, remove dip stick again note and mark oil level.

sniffHound

First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Just don’t ask us to measure our dipstick please.

FSE was here and verified with bronco team engineering, 7.0qt for oil change is correct. My inquiry was the first they had received (through normal Ford channels) and they are investigating. One theory, which appears to be incorrect based on the last post, is they recycled the F150 stick. Beside it being longer, the part numbers are not the same so we can nix that. It's possible there was an engineering change since this 2.7 takes 1qt more than the other vehicles the Nano is used in. Gut tells me engineering spec'd 7qt after the indicator was designed/approved and no one caught it. Anyway, they are "officially" aware of it and looking into it.

Sponsored

bytheway

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Oil is oil. Dinosaur goo or synthetic accomplishes the same thing. Oil only gets changed because it gets infiltrated with carbon from the combustion process. Dirty oil reduces the protective quality. Oil doesn’t “ break down”, it just gets dirty.
Oil doesn’t break down? Heat is the number one enemy of oil. A synthetic oil will stand up to heat better than conventional. If oil didn’t break down you would just change your oil filter and leave the factory fill in for life.

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Just don’t ask us to measure our dipstick please.
We already did in the other thread and my brother's is over 1/2" longer than mine 😭

PXL_20211121_200031997.jpg

Akinmx

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford F150, 2011 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Or..... follow the instructions in Ford's manual. Video record yourself putting 7 qts in. If something happens there is zero chance Ford would win in court if your warranty is denied.

Besides... how many Bronco owners will get their oil changed at a instant oil change (or a Ford dealer for that matter)? If the oil tech reads 7 qts on his computer screen he's putting in 7 qts.

This is a HUGE problem for Ford if thousands of Broncos start having engine problems from too much oil.

That being said, I haven't received my Bronco yet and when I do get it, I'll change my own oil and I'll be super careful filling it.

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

FSE was here and verified with bronco team engineering, 7.0qt for oil change is correct. My inquiry was the first they had received (through normal Ford channels) and they are investigating. One theory, which appears to be incorrect based on the last post, is they recycled the F150 stick. Beside it being longer, the part numbers are not the same so we can nix that. It's possible there was an engineering change since this 2.7 takes 1qt more than the other vehicles the Nano is used in. Gut tells me engineering spec'd 7qt after the indicator was designed/approved and no one caught it. Anyway, they are "officially" aware of it and looking into it.
Here is the May 12 post on Bronco Nation that explains why the oil capacity is greater for the Bronco version of the 2.7 Eco:

SmartSelect_20211122-231527_Chrome.jpg

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I think a bigger concern on the bronco is when climbing/descending steep hills for extended periods, when does the oil pickup go dry? Under normal road driving, I doubt a quart low or high is going to destroy the engine. LS motors in GM cars had issues with oil starvation under hard cornering on a race track. Normal street driving at low rpm, no problem.
Thats a good point, and Ford addressed your concern in the engine desugn, according to this May 12 article on Bronco Nation, to prevent oil starvation on the trail:

SmartSelect_20211122-231527_Chrome.jpg
Sponsored