First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I used to hit 21mpg in and extended econoline with a 302/aod combo at 55mph. 2bbl motorcraft carb. Weighed 6200lbs at the scales. I would imagine if you lost the top and put 225s on 300 6 cyl with the 5 speed and a no ac model that wasnt a california smogger. You could put a fuel consumption meter on the line and hit 27mpg on a flying mile. Any overdrive 2bbl 302 and below should hit 20 mpg avg highway at 55 mph.
Sponsored

@BadBlueBronco

Badlands
First Name
Kc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ve never gotten above 17mpg combined... I think I’m at 14 right now but those are good numbers to start with. I am eying 37s

martyb

Badlands
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra Denali, VW Atlas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had a 300 in an F150 with a 4 speed manual. No way that got more than 15 mpg. Also, no way it ever hit 70 mph.

Ruptured Duck

Wildtrak
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
My take on this...
For new vehicle releases Ford has builders produce SEMA builds that are displayed in the Ford booth. I would assume you will see a number of one-off SEMA built Bronco's in the Ford booth along with the production version. Some stuff on these builds are hints to production options and other parts are the builders creative liberties at work.

Sponsored

Dave2002ti

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
YES!! Its confirmed were bringing back RED CLOTH INTERIORS!!! I love it! Also it says best power and torque of any 6 cylinder wheeler so we are getting a 6 banger. Also maybe they are debuting somewhere where there is snow? Cant wait!
Define best? Normally aspirated or turbo. I want normally aspirated for off road use unless its a diesel. I dont give a f about cloth, vinly or leather I just want a seat that can support me offroad and chasing apexes like a good Recaro. A Porsche turbo V6 in the Cayenne has 435hp. And peak numbers are worthless its the area under the tq and hp curves that are important. Especially for off road work. Peak hp numbers are just talking points for high school boys and dudes with 6 inch lifts on their mall rated pick ups that have never been offroad.

Dave Apker

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
Define best? Normally aspirated or turbo. I want normally aspirated for off road use unless its a diesel. I dont give a f about cloth, vinly or leather I just want a seat that can support me offroad and chasing apexes like a good Recaro. A Porsche turbo V6 in the Cayenne has 435hp. And peak numbers are worthless its the area under the tq and hp curves that are important. Especially for off road work. Peak hp numbers are just talking points for high school boys and dudes with 6 inch lifts on their mall rated pick ups that have never been offroad.

Dave Apker
The odds of the Bronco having a naturally aspirated engine is approaching zero. Heck most of Ford’s lineup doesn’t have NA engine options anymore. Plus, most of Ford’s best and most reliable engines are turbo. One thing many people don’t consider with these things is that Ford has been overbuilding the Ecoboost lineup to make sure they’re reliable and have put a LOT of money into it. If you had asked the average F-150 buyer 10 years ago if they’d buy a turbo F-150 they probably would’ve all said not in a million years. As of 2017 the take rate for the V8 in the F-150 was 25% and I can guarantee it’s even lower now.

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The odds of the Bronco having a naturally aspirated engine is approaching zero. Heck most of Ford’s lineup doesn’t have NA engine options anymore. Plus, most of Ford’s best and most reliable engines are turbo. One thing many people don’t consider with these things is that Ford has been overbuilding the Ecoboost lineup to make sure they’re reliable and have put a LOT of money into it. If you had asked the average F-150 buyer 10 years ago if they’d buy a turbo F-150 they probably would’ve all said not in a million years. As of 2017 the take rate for the V8 in the F-150 was 25% and I can guarantee it’s even lower now.
there's what, 3 NA engines now? the 1/2-ton V6, the Coyote, and Godzilla? and like 15 different forced induction engines?

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
there's what, 3 NA engines now? the 1/2-ton V6, the Coyote, and Godzilla? and like 15 different forced induction engines?
The only other one I can think of is the explorer hybrid V6. But I have a feeling anybody who is worried about turbos is going to want absolutely nothing to do with a hybrid LOL

Sponsored

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The only other one I can think of is the explorer hybrid V6. But I have a feeling anybody who is worried about turbos is going to want absolutely nothing to do with a hybrid LOL
gotcha, didn't realize the hybrid ran a different engine than the F-150 motor, its a 3.3 vs the 3.5 in the 150. There is also the 5.2 FPC VooDoo, but it is on it's way out most likely (unlikely it'll come back in either the mustang or the mach 1 next year once the GT350 is gone)

Jook13

Base
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki samurai
Your Bronco Model
Base
They still offer the 6.2 gas in the HDs, no?

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
They still offer the 6.2 gas in the HDs, no?
ok, so we're up to 6 from what I thought was 3, and I guess there are probably 7-8 forced induction engines, so actualyl I guess yeah, a reasonable proportion of engine options are still N/A insetad of F/I.

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
ok, so we're up to 6 from what I thought was 3, and I guess there are probably 7-8 forced induction engines, so actualyl I guess yeah, a reasonable proportion of engine options are still N/A insetad of F/I.
There’s a reasonable number but every one of those engines is a pretty low take rate at this point except for the coyote and Godzilla. I would still bet that 75%+ of the engines that Ford sells are FI.