Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My wife has most of these features in her Hyundai Palisade and doesnā€™t use them... I love them when Iā€™m cruising down the highway especially the auto high beams so I donā€™t blind other drivers or the adaptive cruise control.

If weā€™re driving in down, we donā€™t use any of these features, which a majority can be turned on and off.

LorenzeTorres

Badlands
First Name
Lo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser/ 2002 BMW M3/ 2016 BMW M2/ 2016 Triumph Thruxton R
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
His point still stands. It's intended to make it safer. Can't blame the technology because people abused it's intended purpose.
Real talk, I was dating a girl who didnā€™t understand or respect the autopilot feature in her Tesla. We were driving up hill, with the sun in our face/ windshield where the front camera is, and about the enter into the mouth of the tunnel where thereā€™s a bend right at the beginning. She had her feet up on the seat, one elbow on the window sill, the other chilling by her side. I could see the car wasnā€™t making the proper adjustments to make the turn and the girl was completely oblivious. We ended up grazing the wall of the tunnel because of her negligence.

This is one of the very few moments where I had to readjust my expectations on the tech. Also Iā€™m no longer seeing her LOL!

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
Somthing like this would be appealing to me as I hate driving over big bridges which limits my travels if I need to drive alone. Having the car take over during a situation like that would be great for me.
You sure are placing a lot of trust in a computer system. Count me as one that is not going to allow a vehicle to take over on a large bridge over a big river/sound/ocean.

Imprezive

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati Mulitstrada, Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Woohoo probably seals the deal for me. I donā€™t understand why anyone prefers to drive themselves on long mind numbing highway slogs. You arrive at the fun places (or home) so much more refreshed with something like this.

Sponsored

tyrobronco

Badlands
First Name
CC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco,2017 Ford Fusion Energi
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you don't signal your intent to change lanes then you are one of the worst types of drivers; right up there with people doing under in the far left and people who do under on the highway but speed through little towns making it impossible for other motorists to pass them on 2 lane country roads.
Now that would be a cool feature.

Drive longer than 1 mile with the blinker on - it automatically turns it off.

Driving in the left lane and no vehicle is within 100 feet in front or in the next lane - it activates the blinker and begins nudging the vehicle to the right.

As has been stated by people who have vehicles made in the last 3 years (at least), these types of things can be turned off.

That being said, one cannot disagree there is a sizeable number of questionable drivers on the road. And if this tech becomes standard and prevents me, my wife and kids (and your families, too) from being killed because <insert distraction here>, you have to be real ass to think it's not worth it.

Sure there are people who think they are great drivers and go off and kill someone - but there are hopefully more people who won't think to turn this off and avoid injuring or killing someone due to it.

Again - you find it distracting, turn it off. But to boo the idea is too short-sighted.

Fireshifter

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Tacoma TRD | '08 VW R32
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This could be a good thing even though I hate complex computerized cars.

When in school, I had a class mate lose his life because he fell asleep at the wheel of 4x4 "on stilts".

I'm sure many of us have been through that scenario or close to it. If anything we should also train our drivers to make sure they pull over and find a safe place to sleep off the drowsiness.

aplm7

Black Diamond
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer 2015
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Somthing like this would be appealing to me as I hate driving over big bridges which limits my travels if I need to drive alone. Having the car take over during a situation like that would be great for me.
Sounds like a bad time

aplm7

Black Diamond
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer 2015
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Which trim/package do you think will have this?

Sponsored

Scohin

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Which trim/package do you think will have this?
Looks like the Lux package has a lot of the driving assist, so likely that one :/

Scohin

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

sscott87

Big Bend
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Itā€™s not a technology issue as much as itā€™s a people issue, and to that point, every generation has their unique issues.

Older generations had hot rods with no power steering, no traction control, drum brakes, etc. Letā€™s talk about who wrecked, how frequently, because of an inability to control a vehicle of that era that they pushed too hard. Thatā€™s user error often enough.

How about the classic RV cruise control stories? Thought it would drive itself

The past 10+ or so years weā€™ve had to contend with the cell phone era and distracted driving. Thatā€™s, again, user error.

Now, weā€™re progressing in that technology making its way to the vehicle to aid in safety. And itā€™s not just the safety of the driver or passengers but safety of others on the road. Absolutely, yes, some will misuse and abuse that technology. But again, see the above references. Each generation has a new something to deal with and the old timers, every time, will point to say itā€™s the technologyā€™s fault.

We arenā€™t yet to the point of ā€œset it and forget it,ā€ but eventually will be. In the meantime, the tech is advancing but we have to beat people upside the head to not abuse or misuse it. Theyā€™re intended to augment the driving experience, to assist, not to do it all entirely (yet).

Iā€™m loving the adaptive cruise and lane departure in my wifeā€™s new Mazda. Itā€™s wonderful. Iā€™m already a regular blinker user but the lane departure warning and steering feedback makes me even more cognizant of my blinker use, and the adaptive cruise is great in light freeway traffic as a click up or down changes my distance as the vehicle slows itself to maintain spacing. And turning off either as desired is ridiculously easy.

BaseMod

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Frontier 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

By that time Iā€™ll be gone and you feel free to turn over your lives and freedom to computers. I wonā€™t. Soon your vehicle will be hooked up to the transportation grid/net. The government will control how fast you go, how you get to where youā€™re going, etc. Very good news for the lazy, but theyā€™ll also be able to shut your car down or have it drive to the local police station because you didnā€™t eat enough broccoli that month. That is not a world I want any part of.
Sponsored