Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

"A quantum leap from a truck applying the brakes for you" I'm not sure what you mean by this. Auto-braking is already here.
It was in response to the other poster. I meant it's a quantum leap to go from auto-braking to "they’ll also be able to shut your car down or have it drive to the local police station because you didn’t eat enough broccoli that month."

Whoever "they" are.

I do agree with you though. I'm not super-interested in autonomous cars, I'm not inherently against them either, but I'm pretty against my car being continuously connected to any sort of network.
Sponsored

GotWake

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I guess I drive too aggressively because some of this tech tries to kill me. :sneaky:

rcbickle

First Edition
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 FX4, BMW M550i, BMW Z4, Mini Cooper, Bronco First Edition Reservation
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I for one will be buying all the Bronco technology I can afford, I have a number of these features on my 2017 Kia Sorento and my wife's 2018 Subaru Forester, I will never buy another vehicle without them. Sure you can say you want to do your own driving I get it, but it has saved both myself and my wife from stupid driver's, that did not use their turn signals or just slammed on the their brakes at the last second. We NEVER turn our systems off!

You can't fix stupid in other drivers but you can have insurance to protect yourself and your loved ones.
My wife and I have a lot of this technology on our BMW M550i. At first, I said I did not want it but being stuck in traffic on the beltway changed that and I, like you, want every once of capability I can get. I can decide how I want and when I want to use it, but I can tell you it makes traffic jams a lot more stress-free!

stickshifter

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Tacoma (1975 FJ-40, 1978 CJ-7, 2008 JKU)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It was in response to the other poster. I meant it's a quantum leap to go from auto-braking to "they’ll also be able to shut your car down or have it drive to the local police station because you didn’t eat enough broccoli that month."
Ahhh - got it!

stickshifter

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You’d trade it for convenience to talk online though? The thought of these safety features “tracking” you and “driving you to the police station” is ridiculous. You’re probably using a smartphone or computer to access this site, I’ll tell you right now both easily monitored and tracked and you have very little “control” of that. These are safety features so you don’t swerve out of lanes or accidentally rear end someone, not some new world order conspiracy lmao. You have all the liberty in the world to turn the steering wheel in any direction and use the pedals at your own will.
You should look into what hackers are already capable of doing - and this is long before the rollout of truly autonomous vehicles. Here is just one story about two "white-hat" hackers who consult for major car manufacturers, and how they can hack cars. Its from 2015, and there is more recent stuff available, but I'll let you use the google if this peaks your interest (and it should). The more computer systems that are built into cars the more they become vulnerable...
https://www.wired.com/2015/07/hackers-remotely-kill-jeep-highway/

Sponsored

stickshifter

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Here is a short quote from the 2015 Wired article, for those who won't bother to click on the link:

"As the two hackers remotely toyed with the air-conditioning, radio, and windshield wipers, I mentally congratulated myself on my courage under pressure. That's when they cut the transmission.

Immediately my accelerator stopped working. As I frantically pressed the pedal and watched the RPMs climb, the Jeep lost half its speed, then slowed to a crawl. This occurred just as I reached a long overpass, with no shoulder to offer an escape. The experiment had ceased to be fun."

Source: https://www.wired.com/2015/07/hackers-remotely-kill-jeep-highway/

You might want to re-think your skepticism about the vulnerability of onboard computer systems...

OP
OP
dpav02

dpav02

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Toyota 4Runner Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Awesome, can you post the quote where Mike says "Active Drive Assist with hands free driving is coming to Bronco". I don't have a twitter account, so I can't see all the comments. I'm not trying to be argumentative, I really want this tech, just not sure why Ford went full throttle with "HANDS FREE DRIVING from Active Driver Assist" with the F-150 and Mach-E, and then when huge Bronco reveal came out, they just said Co-Pilot360.
Disregard. You're right. I might be wrong here.... I was jumping the gun for wishful thinking.

You're right, EyeQ4 is more than just "Active Drive Assist". It *can* include it but doesn't mean it will.

Last edited:

BoostedBronco

Raptor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
It wasn't announced during the Bronco reveal because the deal with Intel wasn't public knowledge yet.

So they couldn't reveal this specific technology info.

As far as the link, there's a screenshot in the first post.

EyeQ = "hands free active drive assist".
Why was Ford able to announce "Active Drive Assist" specifically on the F-150 just a few weeks ago, before this deal was announced?

Last edited:

Delrey30

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Lol this entire thread is just full of boomers being upset about new technology. Huge shocker that a car coming out in 2021 will have modern technology and safety features. Either don’t use it or go buy a 60s Bronco.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

You should look into what hackers are already capable of doing - and this is long before the rollout of truly autonomous vehicles. Here is just one story about two "white-hat" hackers who consult for major car manufacturers, and how they can hack cars. Its from 2015, and there is more recent stuff available, but I'll let you use the google if this peaks your interest (and it should). The more computer systems that are built into cars the more they become vulnerable...
https://www.wired.com/2015/07/hackers-remotely-kill-jeep-highway/
This is old news only intended to scare people. It was a few educated people in a controlled experiment. The average job on the freeway with thousands of other people really doesn't have to worry about media hype unless you know someone smart enough with a reason they would really want to do something to your car, your more likely to get hit by lighting.

Sponsored

Imprezive

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati Mulitstrada, Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I’m not trading liberty for safety. You feel free to do so right up to the point where you have zero control of your own life.
Do you even know what the word liberty means? I have the choice to turn it off or on as I wish. There is no government mandate or law forcing me to use it. I chose to buy a vehicle with options that make my life more comfortable. I have the choice to buy something that suits me without it impacting other people. That’s, you know, actual freedom.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Lol this entire thread is just full of boomers being upset about new technology. Huge shocker that a car coming out in 2021 will have modern technology and safety features. Either don’t use it or go buy a 60s Bronco.
Stick your generational bias in your pocket, I know many older people that love technology. Many want more, like self driving cars, as it assures their freedom and independence as they age.

Imprezive

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati Mulitstrada, Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Stick your generational bias in your pocket, I know many older people that love technology. Many want more, like self driving cars, as it assures their freedom and independence as they age.
My parents do love their adaptive cruise but I had to convince them it was worth trying even though the car came with it.

BaseMod

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Frontier 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Do you even know what the word liberty means? I have the choice to turn it off or on as I wish. There is no government mandate or law forcing me to use it. I chose to buy a vehicle with options that make my life more comfortable. I have the choice to buy something that suits me without it impacting other people. That’s, you know, actual freedom.
I know what what freedom is more so than you ever will. This was in response to some Karens trying to convince me that driving my own vehicle was a bad idea. FOWTBS. My first ignore on this otherwise awesome forum.

Last edited:

stickshifter

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is old news only intended to scare people. It was a few educated people in a controlled experiment. The average job on the freeway with thousands of other people really doesn't have to worry about media hype unless you know someone smart enough with a reason they would really want to do something to your car, your more likely to get hit by lighting.
"Old news"? Okay, here are three references from the last seven months:

https://www.dallasnews.com/business...f-the-world-can-take-control-of-your-vehicle/

https://www.rd.com/list/ways-hackers-can-take-control-of-your-car/

https://purplegriffon.com/blog/carhacked-9-terrifying-ways-hackers-can-control-your-car

"only intended to scare people"? In July 2015, Chrysler issued a recall for 1.4 million vehicles as a result of Miller and Valasek's research. You don't recall 1.4 million vehicles in response to a bogus news story.

From the Dallas Morning News (ranked as "right-center biased" and receives a "High" score for factual reporting by Media Bias/Fact Check) - and its from your home state: "The threat of regular people having their vehicles carjacked by cyberattackers is real. Fact is, computer hackers on the other side of the world potentially could — while you’re driving — crash your navigation system, cut your brakes, disrupt your steering or remotely take control of the entire vehicle. Hackers do not need to be in close proximity; all they need is something as simple as internet connectivity. Cars have become heavily connected to the internet. They are essentially computers on wheels." (Published January 11, 2020)

I work in the field of global security, and cyberwarfare is very real. Iran is looking to expand its capabilities from hacks on banks (gen 1 Iranian tactics), to hacks on infrastructure (gen 2) like their recent hack on a water purification facility in Israel (Washington Post or Times of Israel, your choice), to hacks that will wreak more widespread economic devastation (gen 3). Iran is not alone in targeting the U.S. in this way (Russia and China are right there too). I'll stop here - a car forum really isn't the appropriate venue. I think we all really want to talk about whether we should rock KM2s, Trail Grapplers, or Toyo MTs on our new Broncos. But if you are willing to take the time to consider that there is more to the cyber threat than you currently believe, I suggest this starting here (published May 2020): https://www.unitedagainstnucleariran.com/history-of-iranian-cyber-attacks-and-incidents
Sponsored

Last edited: