Daemione

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 2-door 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
My experiences = extremely frustrating. It's been great to find trails - although the difficulty ratings are pretty liberal and very broad. I've done a couple "easy" trails that were WAY tougher than I thought they'd be - and a couple others that were just rough dirt roads (I literally got to the top of one of them in Montana and there was a Corolla that had just made the drive).

Biggest (and unforgivable) flaw is the need to have cell service to log in. Whenever the app logs you out for some random reason, the chances you've got cell service when out in the middle of nowhere is extremely slim. I've done 9 different trails so far with the app, been randomly logged out with no ability to get back in on 8 of them.
Sponsored

Imonamoose

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Moose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My experiences = extremely frustrating. It's been great to find trails - although the difficulty ratings are pretty liberal and very broad. I've done a couple "easy" trails that were WAY tougher than I thought they'd be - and a couple others that were just rough dirt roads (I literally got to the top of one of them in Montana and there was a Corolla that had just made the drive).

Biggest (and unforgivable) flaw is the need to have cell service to log in. Whenever the app logs you out for some random reason, the chances you've got cell service when out in the middle of nowhere is extremely slim. I've done 9 different trails so far with the app, been randomly logged out with no ability to get back in on 8 of them.
The log out issue is crippling for the Ford offroad app and i feel like the bloatware/Spyware connection issue is self defeating for this apps usability.

I have never been able to use the fordtrails effectively due to this persistent problem of connectivity. Bummer, because it could be so awesome if it actually worked properly when wheeling in da'woods.

brkdncr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Just look at the reviews for this app on its respective store. People that can’t get it to work are giving it 3 stars. It’s been 3 years since the Bronco was released. Ford needs to call the time of death on this thing.

Lilj4425

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I haven’t been able to get the app to open up on my 12 inch Bronco screen. Not sure what I am doing wrong. It comes up on my phone just fine. Piece of junk.

Sponsored

buzzcutt2

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Even after a few updates still no video when recording, I get audio and telemetry. but just a still image. I emailed a few times early on but have given up for now.

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm finding that issue in other apps and web sites as well. I had planned what I thought was going to be a fun outing on a medium-difficulty trail that was a well-groomed, unpaved road. It makes me wonder if some of these trails are rated by bikers or hikers based on length or incline. So far, though, I've yet to see a trail rated less difficult than it actually is. It is disappointing to plan an outing and only be let down by unmet expectations because of an improperly rated trail.

You can download the trails in advance, or at least before you get out of cell service.

I've been holding off on using the app as much as I'd hoped mainly because the trails near me are not in it. I'd even be happy to help Ford put them in if there was a way for me to send them the data. :) I'll try it again when I get back to Moab and other areas where they have more coverage.

brkdncr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I'm finding that issue in other apps and web sites as well. I had planned what I thought was going to be a fun outing on a medium-difficulty trail that was a well-groomed, unpaved road. It makes me wonder if some of these trails are rated by bikers or hikers based on length or incline. So far, though, I've yet to see a trail rated less difficult than it actually is. It is disappointing to plan an outing and only be let down by unmet expectations because of an improperly rated trail.

You can download the trails in advance, or at least before you get out of cell service.

I've been holding off on using the app as much as I'd hoped mainly because the trails near me are not in it. I'd even be happy to help Ford put them in if there was a way for me to send them the data. :) I'll try it again when I get back to Moab and other areas where they have more coverage.
Downloaded maps don’t matter if the app requires you to login and you don’t have data service.

Daemione

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 2-door 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
When the app logs you out, you don't have access to any of those downloaded trails or info. Cell signal is required to log in.

When I get out of the car to take a picture, stretch my legs, scout out a tricky section, etc. it's logged me out almost every single time. Or if the app crashes (happened twice for me) mid-trail, same thing.

OregonMike

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Fusion, 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

My two recent experiences have been different, same version of the app (iOS, v1.0.3). Both were in areas where there was little or no cell service, and in each case I had downloaded offline maps/trails for the areas I was in well ahead of time.

First time (no curated trails, but had map of the area downloaded), I had the app running on my phone and launched it in CarPlay in town w/LTE service to make sure it would come up. When I tried it again at our air-down spot (no service), it gave me the AppLink connection error initially, then started working the next time I tried it (still no service, only a minute or two later). I was able to record a chunk of the drive (I unintentionally stopped recording while trying to get video to work and then just didn't bother after that) and the GPS track was pretty accurate for the segment I recorded. I couldn't get video to record, no matter how many times I tried. Video would show in the app for a few seconds, then go back to the map screen. Nothing was recorded.

Second time (curated trails and map of the area downloaded), the app launched successfully right away. Nav on the curated trails and drive recording seemed to work fine (though the recorded segments seemed to have some weird GPS track in a couple spots). I didn't pay too close attention to the accuracy of the directions (wasn't lead vehicle), so can't comment there.
I tried to record video in multiple spots, and I thought it was failing every time like the previous drive. Again, there didn't seem to be any indication that video recorded, but I had two clips in my camera roll after we finished.
There was one point where the app logged me out, so I just stopped using it for a while. When I launched it again a while later it came up fine without me doing anything else. There were a couple instances where I had shut the vehicle off, and expected there to be problems after starting back up again, yet it worked. A couple times, it gave me the AppLink error. I had my phone plugged into the USB-C port most of the time, but I wasn't keeping track of whether or not I was having issues only with wireless CarPlay or what.

It really does feel like the users are Beta testing this thing, especially given how problematic the initial release was and all the challenges that still exist in the current version. The potential is there, though. I'm hopeful that sometime in the near future it would be at least reliably usable, but I don't have a ton of faith that they'll get it into fighting shape any time soon. I'll probably keep trying it out with the existing 'curated trails', but I don't see myself canceling my OnX subscription any time soon.

Sponsored

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ll add this to the current discussion, At first, had issues with the app freezing on the infotainment screen even with downloaded maps.

However, this was CarPlay wireless. When I plug the phone in, even with no cell service, it works fine. I have yet to try recording a trail, but did see the telemetry when testing it once.

Think if you try plugging in, you may get a better experience. Give a try and let everyone know.

wanna1

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford F150 Platinum 4x4 2022 Mach E
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My two recent experiences have been different, same version of the app (iOS, v1.0.3). Both were in areas where there was little or no cell service, and in each case I had downloaded offline maps/trails for the areas I was in well ahead of time.

First time (no curated trails, but had map of the area downloaded), I had the app running on my phone and launched it in CarPlay in town w/LTE service to make sure it would come up. When I tried it again at our air-down spot (no service), it gave me the AppLink connection error initially, then started working the next time I tried it (still no service, only a minute or two later). I was able to record a chunk of the drive (I unintentionally stopped recording while trying to get video to work and then just didn't bother after that) and the GPS track was pretty accurate for the segment I recorded. I couldn't get video to record, no matter how many times I tried. Video would show in the app for a few seconds, then go back to the map screen. Nothing was recorded.

Second time (curated trails and map of the area downloaded), the app launched successfully right away. Nav on the curated trails and drive recording seemed to work fine (though the recorded segments seemed to have some weird GPS track in a couple spots). I didn't pay too close attention to the accuracy of the directions (wasn't lead vehicle), so can't comment there.
I tried to record video in multiple spots, and I thought it was failing every time like the previous drive. Again, there didn't seem to be any indication that video recorded, but I had two clips in my camera roll after we finished.
There was one point where the app logged me out, so I just stopped using it for a while. When I launched it again a while later it came up fine without me doing anything else. There were a couple instances where I had shut the vehicle off, and expected there to be problems after starting back up again, yet it worked. A couple times, it gave me the AppLink error. I had my phone plugged into the USB-C port most of the time, but I wasn't keeping track of whether or not I was having issues only with wireless CarPlay or what.

It really does feel like the users are Beta testing this thing, especially given how problematic the initial release was and all the challenges that still exist in the current version. The potential is there, though. I'm hopeful that sometime in the near future it would be at least reliably usable, but I don't have a ton of faith that they'll get it into fighting shape any time soon. I'll probably keep trying it out with the existing 'curated trails', but I don't see myself canceling my OnX subscription any time soon.
This is the real issue. I've had it log me out on numerous occasions.
I've been told "off-the-record" that the APP is a huge disappointment for the Bronco team.

andersman02

Big Bend
First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend 2.7l SaS
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Even after a few updates still no video when recording, I get audio and telemetry. but just a still image. I emailed a few times early on but have given up for now.
PLEASE READ-

I have an upcoming trip and wanted to get this going. Easy enough to connect to it and get it up and running on the bronco screen.

However I was running into issues with recording video. Either it would record, but the file would say *unable to play file" or it would have telemetry and audio but a still image. Here's what I did that made it work.

From the bronco screen, click the camera on the top left to show your phones camera on the screen. Over you have it set, stop recording and start recording again by just hitting the red button in the middle of the screen on the Bronco. Don't touch anything else in the bronco screen app. Keep your "files" app open in Android do you can see if your recording worked at it should or if it still has a still frame. Remember don't f with the bronco screen app. Only hit the red recording button.

Works pretty much flawlessly for me by doing this.
This was on a pixel 7