First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So long story short the lady and I dont do much off-roading. We just enjoy hiking and camping or taking the kids kayaking/fishing. The more and more I see the new F150 I start to wonder if it will be a better camping rig than the Bronco. Especially because of the concerns with the roof racks/vehicle weight with the Bronco. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with this?
Sponsored

zrizik99

Black Diamond
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 2016
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Check out the new F-150 tremor that TFL just leaked. It has me second guessing myself ?. Probably won't be offered until next year probably late or 2022.

Sponsored

ramblinwreck

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
`22 Wildtrak, '21 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
A Bronco, like a Wrangler, is a purpose built off road vehicle. It will work fine for going camping, but there are better options for sure.

Delasangre

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hell I've been considering the Ranger tremor that's coming soon.

ronstar

Big Bend
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Jeep JL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I have a 2017 F-150 now and had a 2009 F-150 before this one. We've traveled a lot with these 2 trucks throughout the country sightseeing and hiking. Even though we don't camp, we fill the F-150 with stuff for the trips.

I'm keeping my F-150 for trips like these, even after I get the Bronco. I don't expect the Bronco to match the F-150 in storage, gas mileage and overall ride/comfort on trips.

Kino

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 GC Trailhawk; ‘20 Honda Passport; '74 VW KG
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So long story short the lady and I dont do much off-roading. We just enjoy hiking and camping or taking the kids kayaking/fishing. The more and more I see the new F150 I start to wonder if it will be a better camping rig than the Bronco. Especially because of the concerns with the roof racks/vehicle weight with the Bronco. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with this?
I have been trying to decide between the '21 F-150 Lariat and the Bronco BL (will probably get both). Pricing is the same in both with what I want ($55-60K). I already own a V8 GC, so I use that to tow my camper already. The new F-150s tow ALOT more than that. Mind you, I have never owned, driven, nor wanted a pickup, nor have I owned a Ford. The Bronco IMO is just a cool vehicle. It's something you get to drive to show "I've got a cool vehicle!" However, towing weight of 12K vs 3500 lbs, able to attach a rack for a rooftop tent and other Yakima/Thule accessories, on board electric, or comfortably tow a small or large camper (bonus of also getting a Guard green vehicle) makes the F-150 much more versatile FOR THE SAME PRICE.

Granted, you can't take the top or doors off of the F-150 and go crazy off-roading, but I would get the Offroad package on the truck. The F-150 (I believe) sits higher, too. Gas mileage is similar (I would think). The 3.5 is a darn good and strong engine. So, to me, it's "Status Symbol" vs "Practicality".

Of course, these are all my opinions.

BuzzyBud

First Name
TBD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Challenging decision. Both and great choices. Both are quite different. I am planning to buy a 2 door Badlands for off-road adventures. I have an F150 for camping/kayaking and plan to keep my truck and camper. I could consider using the Bronco for both camping and kayaking, but the F150 is better equipped for my camping/kayaking needs.

Ford Bronco Bronco vs 2021 F150 F150

Ford Bronco Bronco vs 2021 F150 Camper

Sponsored

FourHorses

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently own 6 Fords
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

F-150, much more versatile and capable. It will be able to do most anything you need it to with the exception of extreme off roading and rock crawling.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

So, the Jeep you tube channel folks all got Gladiators, and then fitted them with bed covers and pull out storage and racks, etc. (All of this to market stuff). And then one by one they seem to be saying they prefer the 4 door Wrangler for it's interior storage. (e.g., look at Trailrecon which tends to focus a little more on overland camping than extreme rock crawling like Wayalife)

I have no idea what the F150 rides like versus the Bronco, but on paper the longer wheel base should make for a better ride. Don't know what the interior space really feels like, but I can tell you a 4 door Wrangler feels more open inside than a Gladiator (and I don't feel a real difference in ride). If you want to tow a family sized trailer or a larger boat and haul bikes etc., maybe the F150 is the better choice. If you have parking constraints at home, or prefer your stuff not get dusty on the trail or be exposed to parking lot theft, maybe the Bronco is the better choice.

You are on to a real practical question. You'll need to make your own list of pluses and minuses.

MCG DAWG

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250 Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
For usability and ability to perform various tasks the F-150 will much more serve your needs. In my opinion EVERYONE needs a truck.

I have an F250 and my Bronco will be in addition to it. If I could only have one I'd by far go with the truck as my choice. Less "cool" but FAR more utilitarian.

Last edited:

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Bronco is for removable top and doors, manual transmission fun weekend convertible off-road rig.

F150 is for work

RG7

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
B8 A4, 2018 Triumph Street Triple R
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Fwiw if you don’t do any offroading, you probably should not buy the purpose-built off-road vehicle. You’re sacrificing a lot of comforts and other features for the money that goes into the offroad parts and design.
Sponsored