AgentKooper

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Why does Tommy always badmouth the Bronco? Ford must have butthurt him some time ago because he always talks about the shortcomings of the Bronco every chance he gets. (n)
I dunno -- that wasn't my takeaway. He seems to appreciate it. They do avoid treating it like a holy grail, which makes their overall very positive take on it more credible.
Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Why does Tommy always badmouth the Bronco? Ford must have butthurt him some time ago because he always talks about the shortcomings of the Bronco every chance he gets. (n)
Tommy definitely seems to prefer "old-school" vehicles. Not that type of person who likes a lot of technical gizmos and lux packages and whatnot.

In this video I think his primary point is that the 4runner (which has basically been unchanged since 2009) is still an extremely capable vehicle, and you don't need the super high-end $60,000+ brand new Bronco with 35" to complete these trails. But yet, you can clearly see the advantages that Bronco brings.

Which honestly, I appreciate, keeps things in perspective.

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

good video and fun comparison. I like the 4runner, but I'd certainly pick what I picked again and stick with the Bronco. Like the convertible part. Gotta say though, I really don't like that bimini top, way too many black lines across, are those zippers so you can remove the hard top panels? And a big solid lip right above the driver, I'm gonna look elsewhere if I ever want one of these.

What a gorgeous trial though, I really hope to drive mine out to Colorado eventually and tackle all these wonderful passes. Both took them on like not much at all. It's always hard to judge how steep things really are in a video, looks like there were some fun technical parts here. But I want to drive this more for the scenery than challenging obstacles, just wonderful up there.

I am looking forward to see what Toyota does with the next gen 4runner.

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35’s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They should have chosen a different trail. They aren't proving much as Imogine can be done in a Suburu.
Agreed, Imogene is not a challenging pass. Beautiful yes, but it’s a complete goat rodeo on weekends. All the full size tour guide vehicles are a PITA.

ChrisCozart

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond (non-Sas.)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I’ve lived in Colorado for 36 years and never even attempted this lol. Maybe in the Bronco. 😬
You should try it for sure. Lived in CO for a few years and camped all over the Lake City and Alpine Loop area. Done this trail and most of the others around the "loop" in nothing more than my '06 Expedition with the factory 4x4 system that's nothing more than traction control (no lockers). Beautiful area!

Sponsored

ChrisCozart

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
They keep saying $11K more, but I can build a 4 door Badlands Squatch 2.7 with the same capabilities for $11K less, $9K if I keep the cameras in high package.
Or in a Black Diamond with Sas....or maybe even without Sas for considerably less than the First Edition.

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You should try it for sure. Lived in CO for a few years and camped all over the Lake City and Alpine Loop area. Done this trail and most of the others around the "loop" in nothing more than my '06 Expedition with the factory 4x4 system that's nothing more than traction control (no lockers). Beautiful area!
Those 1 lane areas though.

Ford Bronco Bronco vs 4runner Pro on the Imogene Pass [by TFL] 🐴😬 1631298609244

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If Tommy can compare his stripped Willy's to the 4DR FE, why not the 4 Runner TRD? They only have so many vehicles to produce content, but they then compare to wildly different vehicles. I think they are doing a decent job and I totally respect they are making a living doing something interesting and cool, but you don't really need to watch to know Tommy thinks everything bigger than his 2dr Jeep is huge and they are not big fans of Ford in general. BTW, the Bronco constantly gets the "its $63K" and should be xxx, but the $77K TRX and $75K Jeep 392 gets "they are expensive, but"...the exhaust note is so awesome....

I get it, Hemi V8s are cool and V8s sound great, but it's rarely an objective set of tests or outcomes. Still fun and entertaining.

ChrisCozart

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Those 1 lane areas though.

Ford Bronco Bronco vs 4runner Pro on the Imogene Pass [by TFL] 🐴😬 1631298609244
indeed. Expedition was a bit wide for some of them. Had to fold in mirrors a lot in order to pass. I have video of us passing a Toyota on a shelf road, us on the outside, and the kids saying "we're gonna' die!". LOL.

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
indeed. Expedition was a bit wide for some of them. Had to fold in mirrors a lot in order to pass. I have video of us passing a Toyota on a shelf road, us on the outside, and the kids saying "we're gonna' die!". LOL.
Yikes lol. I don’t think I have enough cajones for that! We did that when I was a kid with my dad, I did not enjoy passing another car on a 1 lane mountain road lol.

Sponsored

Hemisfear

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bronco Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If Tommy can compare his stripped Willy's to the 4DR FE, why not the 4 Runner TRD? They only have so many vehicles to produce content, but they then compare to wildly different vehicles. I think they are doing a decent job and I totally respect they are making a living doing something interesting and cool, but you don't really need to watch to know Tommy thinks everything bigger than his 2dr Jeep is huge and they are not big fans of Ford in general. BTW, the Bronco constantly gets the "its $63K" and should be xxx, but the $77K TRX and $75K Jeep 392 gets "they are expensive, but"...the exhaust note is so awesome....

I get it, Hemi V8s are cool and V8s sound great, but it's rarely an objective set of tests or outcomes. Still fun and entertaining.
That's you, I prefer more expertise when seeking vehicle reviews! lol

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
There is no better value for off-roading than a base sasquatch right now and probably for quite some time.
Except for the base 2-door manual at $28k. It already has 4.46 diff gears, so wait for a deal on 33" tires and you are set for fun on many trails. I think Sas is maybe 7k more - kind of steep. Maybe the upcoming manual Sas will make the lesser jump in price easier to stomach.

Ambassador

Badlands
First Name
Standing_Bear
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic, 2022 F150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

TFL is banned by Rivian as well. Rivian is partly owned by Ford.
Sponsored