Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 F250, ‘88 4Runner(sold)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Bronco Wins:
Ford Bronco Bronco vs 4runner Pro on the Imogene Pass [by TFL] 🐴😬 gt6
Love how they are constantly dismissing the front locker, open roof line and removable doors. And downplaying the camera usefulness. There was a wide drone shot in the middle where the 4runner was bouncing all over and the bronco was gliding up the pass. But they rate the comfort level the same.🤔 at one point they stated they could equal the performance with 11k in upgrades to the yota. Still leaves no disco no cams. But it would still have the reliability of the “old shoe”.

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ve lived in Colorado for 36 years and never even attempted this lol. Maybe in the Bronco. 😬

Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

They keep saying $11K more, but I can build a 4 door Badlands Squatch 2.7 with the same capabilities for $11K less, $9K if I keep the cameras in high package.

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 05 Volvo V70R, 17 Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

They should have chosen a different trail. They aren't proving much as Imogine can be done in a Suburu.
I haven't done any 4 wheeling, so i have to use the ratings in trail guides and Imogene is rated as the highest rating of "difficult". If it can be done in a Subaru, then I'll add it to my list of first trails i do.

srafferty25

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I haven't done any 4 wheeling, so i have to use the ratings in trail guides and Imogene is rated as the highest rating of "difficult". If it can be done in a Subaru, then I'll add it to my list of first trails i do.
Before I go getting someone into a bind, I will should say this: It has been about 8 years since I last ran it an and trails out there can change significantly from year to year due to weather, traffic, etc. When I ran it, we passed at least 2 Suburus coming from the opposite direction. The more "difficult" sections were optional from what I can remember as well.

Before you head out, check bushducks as people update it with the conditions of various trails throughout Colorado.

gimlithepirate

Heritage
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Imogene's rating in trail guides is a running joke in a lot of offroad communities. Doing it in a Subaru would require some serious skinny peddle action, and you would bang your tail all over the place, but it could be done.

The main reason for the "difficult" rating is there are some short sections that are off camber shelf roads. That means if your an idiot, don't hug the inside, and have a couple hundred lbs of gear on your roof, there is some danger of rolling off a cliff. It's nothing like Black Bear, but it is a factor. Also, its a skinny road, so there will be times you need to back up to let people pass, which can get hairy.

My preference is to go up from the Telluride side, and descend into Yankee Boy Basin. This makes sure you have right of way on the most butt clenching bits.

If you get a Bronco, this is a must do trail in CO. This and "Corkscrew Gulch" off the million dollar highway are fantastic. Black Bear Pass is cool, but its not for the faint of heart. Imogene is a great way to find out if you like serious offroading. It has a lot of the features of serious trails, but none of them are so bad you are likely to get stuck. I took an Isuszu Rodeo on 31.5" tires up it for reference.

If you need ratings for trails, check out OnX Offroad. It's 30$/year, but gets you detailed maps, and a 1-10 rating system. Imogene is a 6, but they are probably going to change it to a 5.

Sponsored

UNBROKN

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 F-350 CC dually, 97 Infiniti QX4, 21 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Imogene Pass is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. Now I want to take my Bronco out there when I get it.

mikey_photo

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They keep saying $11K more, but I can build a 4 door Badlands Squatch 2.7 with the same capabilities for $11K less, $9K if I keep the cameras in high package.
I think this video overall is really good and generally like the TFL content. Totally agree on this point though. I’d say you can even go sub-BL trim with Squatch (or regular Non Squatch BL) and it’s less expensive than the TRD Pro with similar or better capabilities.

pakrat

Badlands
First Name
JG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner-F250-Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Don't have my Bronco yet so I can't compare directly, but as a current 4Runner owner I can tell you there is a lot to be desired (why I am switching back to Bronco).

Can't say enough about the reliability and the transmission is bombproof. Unfortunately the engine/transmission combo is so outdated performance wise you can't even think about towing the smallest of adventure trailers in the high mountains. Constantly searches for gears and you need to redline it to pass with or without a trailer. Add what I consider the most uncomfortable seats I've ever had in a car for all but the shortest of drives and Toyota has some updating to do. And price wise? You don't need a FE to have the same features as a TRD Pro. You can come in under the price of a TRD Pro to have all of the same features, bigger screen, more cameras, and better off-road capability with a Bronco.

AgentKooper

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I really enjoyed that. Nice to see my exact 4R model holding its own on an iconic trail alongside the Bronco. I love the TFL Bronco with the fastback Bestop. TFL's coverage of the Bronco has been my favorite versus other reviewers. They seem to really be enjoying it without fanboying out over it.
Sponsored