Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have a 2018 ZR2 and a 2022 Ford Bronco OBX. Let me say, I love them both for different reasons.

Ride Quality: great in both vehicles. I tried a Tacoma before I bought the ZR2 and hated it.

Fuel Efficiency: about the same. I get 18MPG on average for both.

Handling: about the same. I think the ZR2 is more stable and seems to sit down well on curves.

Driving: The Bronco is just FUN to drive. The ZR2 isn't "bad" it just isn't as fun.

Steering and Turn Radius: hands down the Bronco wins HUGE here. The ZR2 has a terrible turn radius while the Bronco is simply amazing.

Off Road: Both are great. My ZR2 has front and rear lockers and I've never had a problem with it. The ZR2's underbody is better engineered than the Bronco. I worry much less about getting hung up or damaging something underneath on the ZR2 than the Bronco. The Bronco wins hands down on the ease of engaging the lockers. Engaging the lockers in the ZR2 is like trying to figure out a padlock. The Bronco locker is so simple.

Payload and Space: ZR wins here because well, it's a truck. I can haul dirty, crappy trash in the ZR2 that I would never put in my Bronco.

Aftermarket: The Bronco has exponentially outpaced the ZR2 for aftermarket products. It's not even close.

The 2023 ZR2 looks very impressive and much more refined. I think it comes down to your purpose and what you want. I'm fortunate to have both and each is great in its own way.
So you have both?! Do you also have two
I have a 2018 ZR2 and a 2022 Ford Bronco OBX. Let me say, I love them both for different reasons.

Ride Quality: great in both vehicles. I tried a Tacoma before I bought the ZR2 and hated it.

Fuel Efficiency: about the same. I get 18MPG on average for both.

Handling: about the same. I think the ZR2 is more stable and seems to sit down well on curves.

Driving: The Bronco is just FUN to drive. The ZR2 isn't "bad" it just isn't as fun.

Steering and Turn Radius: hands down the Bronco wins HUGE here. The ZR2 has a terrible turn radius while the Bronco is simply amazing.

Off Road: Both are great. My ZR2 has front and rear lockers and I've never had a problem with it. The ZR2's underbody is better engineered than the Bronco. I worry much less about getting hung up or damaging something underneath on the ZR2 than the Bronco. The Bronco wins hands down on the ease of engaging the lockers. Engaging the lockers in the ZR2 is like trying to figure out a padlock. The Bronco locker is so simple.

Payload and Space: ZR wins here because well, it's a truck. I can haul dirty, crappy trash in the ZR2 that I would never put in my Bronco.

Aftermarket: The Bronco has exponentially outpaced the ZR2 for aftermarket products. It's not even close.

The 2023 ZR2 looks very impressive and much more refined. I think it comes down to your purpose and what you want. I'm fortunate to have both and each is great in its own way.
‘Fun to drive’ is a pretty big factor.

So you have both, eh? Do you also have a wife and a girlfriend? 😆
Sponsored

ColeTrain84

Badlands
First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've actually been tossing around the idea of ordering a highly optioned 2023 ZR2. $5k lower MSRP than my Badlands and I've put 8400 miles on my Badlands and I got offered MSRP +$2k to buy my Bronco off me. That was a local dealership offering it. It's very tempting to have $5k less in payments and(only owe $20k on the badlands) and I think I'd use a truck bed more than the back of an SUV. Idk it's a tough choice because I love my Bronco.

emulous74

Badlands
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 ZR2 Bison D , '23 Bronco 2DR, MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've actually been tossing around the idea of ordering a highly optioned 2023 ZR2. $5k lower MSRP than my Badlands and I've put 8400 miles on my Badlands and I got offered MSRP +$2k to buy my Bronco off me. That was a local dealership offering it. It's very tempting to have $5k less in payments and(only owe $20k on the badlands) and I think I'd use a truck bed more than the back of an SUV. Idk it's a tough choice because I love my Bronco.
Honestly, if you think the truck will provide you more utility and it's easier on your wallet than I would suggest going for it. A bed rack, like the Leitner with the easily no tool movement of the bed rails will increase the functionality immensely. But like I said before and I realize I'm lucky to be able to keep both vehicles, because for me they will serve different purposes.

I believe the 2023 ZR2's won't start being produced until this summer, so you have some time to think about it.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Bronco vs ZR2
278838860_3168839510104645_9156523249636478499_n.jpg

JK, kinda anyone would have been stuck where he was, driver error

projectbadlands

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Colorado ZR2
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I own both a Colorado ZR2 and a Badland Bronco and both have their place. Long weekend overland trips, I am choosing the ZR2. Quick day trips, I am choosing the Bronco.

Comparing rides, sasquatch shocks vs DSSV are extremely similar but the fact that the bronco is coils in the rear vs leaf springs in the ZR2 does allow for a smoother ride in the bronco. Leafs just dont have as much forgiveness.

Cargo, ZR2 wins hands down and gets fully loaded for long trips. I just can not fit what I need in the bronco even though its a 4 door.

Gas mileage, Bronco wins all day. ZR2 just chugs fuel.

Ford Bronco Bronco vs Colorado ZR2 IMG_20220531_161320_388

Sponsored

UM_Ftown

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 5.9, 01 XJ
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I had a diesel ZR2 and it was basically so good at everything it was basically “boring” if that makes sense?

emulous74

Badlands
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I had a diesel ZR2 and it was basically so good at everything it was basically “boring” if that makes sense?
It does make sense, I say the same thing for my prior ATS-V to my current Miata. However it's when you get into the thick of things, that the "boring" wins out in my experience.

UM_Ftown

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 5.9, 01 XJ
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

It does make sense, I say the same thing for my prior ATS-V to my current Miata. However it's when you get into the thick of things, that the "boring" wins out in my experience.
Like I’ll just sip this cup of tea while going over washboards on trails up north at 60 mph lol. It was great on road too.

My Bronco may not be as nice, it’s more fun to me and puts a smile on my face every time. I hope I can get close to the same type of suspension feel if I install the HOSS 3.0 in mine.

Yeti-X

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm not really sure why anybody is comparing a zr2 to an suv of any kind a truck will never ride like a suv especially with comparable ifs the ride should always go to a suv spring weights and weight distribution is the biggest reason bronco easily

ColeTrain84

Badlands
First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Honestly, if you think the truck will provide you more utility and it's easier on your wallet than I would suggest going for it. A bed rack, like the Leitner with the easily no tool movement of the bed rails will increase the functionality immensely. But like I said before and I realize I'm lucky to be able to keep both vehicles, because for me they will serve different purposes.

I believe the 2023 ZR2's won't start being produced until this summer, so you have some time to think about it.
The wallet part isn't a big deal its just an added bonus. Had the new ZR2 been announced earlier i may have had a MUCH harder choice to make

Sponsored

emulous74

Badlands
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm not really sure why anybody is comparing a zr2 to an suv of any kind a truck will never ride like a suv especially with comparable ifs the ride should always go to a suv spring weights and weight distribution is the biggest reason bronco easily
My assumption is because vehicle purchases for enthusiasts are rarely entirely rational decisions. I first went with ordering a 4-door Bronco as a replacement for my ZR2 Bison, they would essentially meet my same needs and I went with the Bronco because I could get it with a manual transmission. Instead I'm going to get rid of my Miata for the Bronco and they definitely can't be compared in rational terms except they both have 2-doors and a manual transmission.

Fmuguira

Badlands
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I ve been reading up on the Ranger Raptor and there’s been comparisons with the ZR2…. Both sound comparable and both very capable. Gets a guy “thinking” if you know what I mean.

Have had two crew cab Tacomas in past and very useful/utilitarian and those dont compare to what a ZR2 or Ranger Raptor will be!!

22Badskwatch

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You are a good dad, MJJ! Thank you for your input! Good to know.
I actually bought a 2021 ZR2 Bison (the most off-road capable version of the Colorado available from a dealership) in December 2020, when I was ready to throw in the towel on the Bronco journey. I managed to get it for a great price the day after Christmas - I actually got it at employee pricing, plus another $1000 off for being a Costco member. I also test drove a Bison with the 2.8 Duramax - it was literally the SLOWEST vehicle I've ever driven. I stepped on the gas pedal when leaving a light and my wife started laughing. within ¼ mile I knew I'd be miserable driving it every day. We immediately went back and then I test drove the V6... much better, and I bought it. Great truck. Then, in February, my dealer called me asking if I wanted to convert my Bronco reservation to an order - I said 'yes', and decided I'd drive the Bison until my Bronco was ready. Well, over the 20 months I had the Bison, I put about 26k miles on it - it was the 3.6 V6 engine, 4 door.. again - great truck. 4 hi/lo, front and rear lockers, skidplates, winch-ready front bumper, heavy duty rear bumper with recovery points, good ground clearance, leather interior with Bose sound... then in June 2022, I got the email that I was assigned a build date for my Bronco... I ended up selling the Bison to a dealership for $42,200.00 (I paid about $50k for it) on 9/1/22. on 10/12/22, I picked up my Bronco. I have nothing but respect for the Bison - it looked good, it handled well on the roads and off road, it was my first off road vehicle, so it allowed me to get some experience before I got my Bronco. My opinions of the pros/cons of each:

Bison:
Pros:
Looked great
nice road manners
decent power from the V6 (again, the 2.8 duramax is a joke - my old 1986 Isuzu Pickup was quicker)
good ground clearance
great off road performance from the dual reservoir DSSV shocks that came factory
factory integrated holes in the rear bumper for pod lights
the sound system was very good for a factory system (again the upgraded Bose)
factory rock sliders/skidplates
gas mileage was decent on the highway - I often got 23-24 mpg on the highway, overall was 17 mpg (50/50 around town and highway)

Bison
Cons:
the factory 32" tires were a bit small
the factory seats were very uncomfortable for any drive of significant length - very firm
the infotainment screen was small compared to what I wanted in my bronco
It's a truck, so be prepared for your friends to ask for your help doing 'truck things' like moving
it wasn't a bronco

Bronco:
Pros:
I think the ride quality of the Bronco (I have a badlands sasquatch 4 door 2.7 Luxe) is better than the Bison
It is definitely quicker (acceleration) than the Bison
Seats are far more comfortable than the Bison
better ground clearance
It's a Bronco
Seat warmers can practically cook an omelette if you want them to
soft top is super easy for opening up at a stop light
Infotainment screen is 12" - significantly larger than the Bison, which is nice for my 52 year old eyes

Cons:
Sound system (I have the 'premium' B&O is 1/10 as good as the Bose system in the Bison
Gas mileage is about 14.5 overall, with same driving habits as what got me 17 in the Bison
It's a little louder inside (to be expected with a soft top)

Honestly - they are BOTH great vehicles for offroading - and both very capable. I think if you could get 35" tires on the ZR2, it would probably get closer to the gas mileage of the Bronco, and you'd have better ground clearance which would help.

In the end - I have no regrets about getting the Bison and then getting the Bronco - I learned a lot with the Bison, and now have my dream vehicle.

here's some photos of both of them.
Ford Bronco Bronco vs Colorado ZR2 bronco and bison

JCSmith

Big Bend
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Suburban
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

For what it’s worth, I just took my 2018 Colorado V6 “work truck” (not a ZR2, basically a base model) on a 50 mile highway ride yesterday, and hated pretty much every second of it. It’s in near mint condition with 25k miles, its my commuter truck to and from work for the most part (10 miles round trip). Around town the Colorado feels peppy with more than adequate ride comfort, but over 60mph the truck is miserable. The wind and road noise is easily twice the volume of my non-sas Big Bend MIC, it was kinda jittery and at times I thought the hood was going to pop up. I just took pretty much the same trip again today in my Bronco and the difference was significant. Again, the ZR2 is clearly a different animal than my work truck, so take it for whatever its worth.

OP
OP

Mark T

Black Diamond
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

For what it’s worth, I just took my 2018 Colorado V6 “work truck” (not a ZR2, basically a base model) on a 50 mile highway ride yesterday, and hated pretty much every second of it. It’s in near mint condition with 25k miles, its my commuter truck to and from work for the most part (10 miles round trip). Around town the Colorado feels peppy with more than adequate ride comfort, but over 60mph the truck is miserable. The wind and road noise is easily twice the volume of my non-sas Big Bend MIC, it was kinda jittery and at times I thought the hood was going to pop up. I just took pretty much the same trip again today in my Bronco and the difference was significant. Again, the ZR2 is clearly a different animal than my work truck, so take it for whatever its worth.
Wind noise in a pickup?! That’s surprising! Thanks for the input.
Sponsored