Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not sure how they figured the fording number but vent locations for the driveline components may be one of the factors. Someone needs to try and measure the height of the air inlet trapdoor to ground and see what that comes out to. If that is the overwhelming factor, common sense would then say max fording would be different on all of the different trim levels due to ride height.

Still, the biggest "flaw" I'm seriously concerned with is the ease at which water is able to enter the air box. You hydro lock it, kiss $8K goodbye. Water in connectors or sensors can be dealt with an relatively inexpensive compared to an engine. I'm no serious wheeler but the air filter sitting in the middle bottom of the box and extremely exposed, IS A MAJOR ISSUE for this vehicle. If you do wheel in water, you should take along at least one air filter (FA-2022) for a backup.
Sponsored

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Its crazy to me why anyone would take a new $50K vehicle thru deep water, or anything more than a foot. Even if you don't get stranded its extremely hard on the vehicle, water and electronics don't mix.
yeah and there’s a bunch of them doing it….for fun. I don’t understand. I’m definitely appreciative of a 4x4s water fording capability if I needed it to escape a flood or a high tide, but I would never purposely do this with a new vehicle.

CGCarolinaBronco

Big Bend
First Name
Rachel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Base (Hubby) 2021 Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Wonder if any of this is covered under warranty?!?! Definitely something to consider.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not sure how they figured the fording number but vent locations for the driveline components may be one of the factors. Someone needs to try and measure the height of the air inlet trapdoor to ground and see what that comes out to. If that is the overwhelming factor, common sense would then say max fording would be different on all of the different trim levels due to ride height.

Still, the biggest "flaw" I'm seriously concerned with is the ease at which water is able to enter the air box. You hydro lock it, kiss $8K goodbye. Water in connectors or sensors can be dealt with an relatively inexpensive compared to an engine. I'm no serious wheeler but the air filter sitting in the middle bottom of the box and extremely exposed, IS A MAJOR ISSUE for this vehicle. If you do wheel in water, you should take along at least one air filter (FA-2022) for a backup.
Yes...spare air filter SHOULD always be part of your trail gear! What we used to do w/jeeps is take the airbox and fill any and all holes/seams w/black RTV and rubber or plastic plugs as needed. The old 4.0L airbox drew air right behind the headlight, similar to Bronco. They had pretty outstanding water fording ability right out of the box. Even better w/a snorkle. Of course the old ones like mine had distributors, so once that was submerged you were done...but if you didn't hydrolock, you could dry the cap out trailside, and get back to it! 2.3 overall seems like a pretty good engine for wheeling in wet conditions. I would pack a set of coils and plugs, just to make clearing a swamped motor quicker (remove wet stuff, crank to clear water, install dry stuff, let wet stuff dry in the back while I wheel!). It's all real easy to say "you shouldn't have even tried that" after the fact...but you don't know how deep it is till your in it! Trust me I know!

jjack50

Black Diamond
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 VW Jetta TDI, 2016 F350 4WD Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Fording depth DOES vary with trim levels, or more accurately, with ground clearance. Ford expresses fording depth as a variable with a maximum based on the highest ground clearance, except for the Everglades.

Sponsored

Bud2020

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch 2.7 Lux
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My new BL came in and before I do ANY off road driving am going to cut some more splash shields and put them in several different exposed areas.
I’d love to see what you come up with. Being in Florida this is almost a necessity even for driving in rain. 2nd day I had mine there were major storms and hitting standing water in the road was sending huge blasts of water up onto the windshield.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Fording depth DOES vary with trim levels, or more accurately, with ground clearance. Ford expresses fording depth as a variable with a maximum based on the highest ground clearance, except for the Everglades.
My bet is going to be vent plus intake trapdoor are big factors more than alternator configuration. I've suggest this before but will say again, if you do many water crossings get some Ford dielectric grease and put it in the connectors that will be below the waterline. Although most of the exterior connectors are considered "sealed" they can allow water to enter.

Last edited:

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
i will have to disagree. It is actually causing a divide with responsible Bronco owners specially here in FL. There’s a lot of us down here not seeking fame, or fortune and just want to enjoy our Broncos and time with each other. Some of her shenanigans are making the rest of us look bad.
Being a Fox Mustang punk, I completely understand being frustrated with the guilt by association but there's not much point in getting upset about what other people do with their cars. Just shake your head and move on.

prospectfour

Outer Banks
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco, '18 Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Its crazy to me why anyone would take a new $50K vehicle thru deep water, or anything more than a foot. Even if you don't get stranded its extremely hard on the vehicle, water and electronics don't mix.
The influencer economy is a strange place for sure. Breaking things collects the clicks which funds the next thing to break!

Go cross post your content to all the 4x4 communities to drive the views. Don’t forget the clickbait thumbnail photo!

No hate from me to the people in the video though. Everyone’s got a hustle 😁

Sponsored

BlueOvalBandit

Badlands
First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Someone needs to try and measure the height of the air inlet trapdoor to ground and see what that comes out to.
It's a slow day at work and I forgot my coffee so... 34ish inches to the bottom of the air box if that's where the trapdoor is on a stock Badlands.

Melwatson

Badlands
First Name
Malena
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco 2 door; 1969 GMC C-15;
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Come on seriously? How many millions of people in florida? Her channel is very small. Lets not over blow this. I dont think anyone reading this thought anything about anyone in florida or the few thousand people across the world that watch it on youtube. Little dramatic
He is not being dramatic at all. Did you read this whole post where several people wrote something about it being Florida?! So actually a lot of people knew or thought it was florida. Several bronco owners have distanced themself from events/groups because of the negativity and drama. People need to stop making excuses for these types of influencers who make videos to line their pockets, with incorrect and misleading information. The video is not to help or create awareness. It's to cause drama and get clicks. The whole “one bronco didn’t go through that puddle and seemed to have taken in water" seriously? A lot of the ride her group took was hitting water. The video makes us look stupid. Makes it look like none of us there know what happens when you trail ride or put a vehicle through water/mud….and most of the people out there were very knowledgeable on the subject! The issues that happened that day were not “bronco issues” they were issues with people putting their vehicles through mud and water. I know the limits of my vehicle, I’ve been off-roading for years. I don’t dog my bronco till it has issues and then make videos bashing or blaming it for failing! And while Florida may have millions, the bronco community is still on the smaller side. But thanks 👍🏽

Hey Buddy

Base
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Base Model 2-Door 2.3L 7-Speed
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I guess my Base Model will be safe in the Mall parking lot?
:ROFLMAO:

Triceratops

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 speed Huffy
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My bet is going to be vent plus intake trapdoor are big factors more than alternator configuration. I've suggest this before but will say again, if you do many water crossings get some Ford dielectric grease and put it in the connectors that will be below the waterline. Although most of the exterior connectors are considered "sealed" they can allow water to enter.
but what truly is the likelihood that water could get past the airbox through the turbo through the intercooler and up maybe 24 inches to the intake?

I do wonder if it’s more likely to just snuff the engine out like here. Then it can be restarted. Hopefully with continue driving it would dry out components. Probably not the nicest on your turbo though.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.