Sponsored

Bronco vs. Defender (pay gate for non Detroit News subscribers/Sorry)

gtx_bronc

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

bleh for linking a paygated article

VGK_Fan

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Audi S5 Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What's the verdict?

OP
OP
Mattwings

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The Bro
What's the verdict?
Bronco is a beast off road, the Defender is cool and modern and a better sled to get to the Country Club in appropriate style (my unbiased summary).

Sponsored
OP
OP
Mattwings

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The pictures were what I thought was cool, here are a few-
Ford Bronco Bronco vs. Defender (pay gate for non Detroit News subscribers/Sorry) 1642107771543

Ford Bronco Bronco vs. Defender (pay gate for non Detroit News subscribers/Sorry) 1642107792299

Ford Bronco Bronco vs. Defender (pay gate for non Detroit News subscribers/Sorry) 1642107819432

Ford Bronco Bronco vs. Defender (pay gate for non Detroit News subscribers/Sorry) 1642107864926

Happy

Black Diamond
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Interesting you post this.
Just a couple hours ago, I parked my 2 door on a hilltop and worked for a while.
A few times I looked over at the Bronco and thought how it actually looks more like the classic Defender than the new Defender looks like a classic Defender.

Square and boxy wins the day

stellandter

Black Diamond
First Name
Stella
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mits outlander, Chrysler Pacifica, 67 Chevy Impala
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Interesting you post this.
Just a couple hours ago, I parked my 2 door on a hilltop and worked for a while.
A few times I looked over at the Bronco and thought how it actually looks more like the classic Defender than the new Defender looks like a classic Defender.

Square and boxy wins the day
I grew up with a couple of vintage defenders and loved them. Am British so have nostalgic emotional attachment to them. Agree the new bronco is closer to the visual spirit of them than the new defender. Funnily enough when I popped into the dealer the other day to see an EG they had a new defender parked right by the Broncos and it did not look as good by far.

OP
OP
Mattwings

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I loved the original Defender and worked on a few back in the day. The new one is growing on me too. To each their own, I am a Ford Fanboy to the core, only occasionally straying from the family.

stellandter

Black Diamond
First Name
Stella
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mits outlander, Chrysler Pacifica, 67 Chevy Impala
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I loved the original Defender and worked on a few back in the day. The new one is growing on me too. To each their own, I am a Ford Fanboy to the core, only occasionally straying from the family.
Don't get me wrong, I think the new defender is fine. Just wish it was boxier 📦

Sponsored

pfbz

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Turbo, 991 Turbo S, 996 turbo, Q5 Turbo
Your Bronco Model
Base
Here's a non paywalled version of the article... But be warned, it has a ridiculous amount of flat-out incorrect information in it.

https://www.nny360.com/artsandlife/...icle_b23913a0-cc57-543c-ae33-3d8f5e1a98ca.htm

I've owned LRs before, some great attributes, some horrible attributes (previously service and reliability were pretty weak). I also took an extended test drive in a low-option Defender 90, which you can build for very similar sticker price to my Wildtrak 2-door ($52K vs $54K, though lack of availability for both makes comparing sticker prices a bit of a moot point). A zero option D90 is about the same level of finish and extras as a highly optioned Bronco.

Some things I really liked about the Defender, even more so than the Bronco, and my previous off-road experience with other LRs shows it as being excellent+ on the trail (none with the NEW D90).

Ford I think did a better job creating that classic, iconic, retro styling than LR did. Both the Bronco and Defender IMHO look far better in their 2-door guise.

Last edited:

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I had an LR3, son had an LR4. Defender was on my short list and I compared specs. Very close but Bronco won on price
Sponsored