Sponsored

Bronco vs. Wrangler: Who cares?

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think I needed to balance it out after having an 76 Bronco, 81 CJ-5, & a 93 XJ. I have always been nostalgic for my 76, but would never buy another EB for trail use for a few reasons #1 the going rate / perceived value for replacement. I can buy new tech updated for less than I can buy a nice EB for. I love the retro cues the new Bronco has. I had been haunted by my XJ ever since I sold it so I need a replacement. So being as I can get an updated Bronco with similar lines of the original which I appreciate the styling cues better than the any Jeep (except a J-10) & what is appearing to be a pretty capable truck, Bronco has it for me. Everything else is gravy because the aftermarket is going to provide for the shortcomings of both vehicles. :cool:
Sponsored

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
man...threads like this are what years of people w/stickers of a Ford urinating on a Chevrolet have got us. Guys...get out on the trails and have fun! Wheeling isn't like that at all. More like there's a party going on and the same old faces are dancing to the same old music and drinking the same drinks and a new attractive gal shows up and we all wana see her shake her stuff on the dance floor!

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I bleed Ford blue but also have a '13 JKU in the driveway as Ford has not offered anything comparable with modern conveniences and technology (up until the Bronco debut).

The Bronco is going to force Jeep to up their game and Ford is going to have to answer in return. Many horsepower wars have already been fought between the Big 3. It's time for a 4x4 war.

Last edited:

High Proof

Badlands
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2018 Panamera
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I dislike douchebags who grab one random stat or feature to say why their auto choice is better. They seem to think it makes them superior as well.

Cars are subjective choices for the most part. Even if you can prove that one is better at one particular thing that doesn't make it a better choice for everyone.

I have had a Corvette, a few Miatas, a few Porches, a couple of Jeeps, a VW Thing, a 1973 Lincoln Mk 4, a 76 Mercury Capri II, Toyota Sequoia, and probably a few others I am forgetting at the moment. All were fun in their own way. Miata - autocross, 911 - track car, Corvette - track and drags, Thing - ?? ? - doors and top off with windshield down, etc.

The new Bronco is badass! Perfect modern retro. Like a Singer but at a mass produced price.

I will miss my Wrangler (going to my 15 year old son) but Ford nailed its with the Bronco in a way few vehicles nail it. I don't care if it may not make it over as big of a rock. Doesn't matter to me so I don't want to hear shit about solid axle vs IFS. There is so much else it does way better for me.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have had Jeeps and Broncos. For me, living in MI currently, the solid axle Jeep (test drove the last gen and it still tracked poorly) just isn’t a pleasant daily driver or really any pavement use in SE MI. I am hoping the IFS tips the scales and gives me enough ride and handling compliance to make it a fun daily driver and weekend wheeler!

Sponsored

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ve had neither a Jeep or a Bronco but always been a fan of CJs and Early Broncos. I’ve had a couple of Fords in the past but have mostly bought Japanese CARS, with the exception of a couple of trucks. Im not Brand loyal. I like specific cars and features and the fact that Ford was specifically bringing back a removable top and doors, manual transmission 4x4 Is what made me want a Bronco. If Toyota brought back a Landcruiser with removable top and doors and manual, I would have considered that too.

Garemlin

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
---
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have had Jeeps and Broncos. For me, living in MI currently, the solid axle Jeep (test drove the last gen and it still tracked poorly) just isn’t a pleasant daily driver or really any pavement use in SE MI. I am hoping the IFS tips the scales and gives me enough ride and handling compliance to make it a fun daily driver and weekend wheeler!

It's funny how people who own Wranglers defend them. I see people all the time raving how great they were for their cross country trip. my Wrangler was miserable for anything over a two hour drive. I'm really hoping the Bronco does better. One of the many reasons I'm waiting it out. I want real world experiences to be able to base my buying decision on. I don't care how cool the Bronco is. How awesome taking the doors and top off are. If I'm not comfortable on a six hour trip to see my daughter I'm not buying it. I really hope it has great on road mannerisms as well as being fully cabable for my off-road needs. If not I'll probably end up taking a good hard look at the Sport.

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
We all know there will be endless comparisons between these two vehicles. My question to the Bronco folks here: do you care?

Sure, I get it, we all want OUR thing to be the BEST thing, but does having .1 inches more ground clearance matter to you? Does .2 degrees of departure angle matter to you?

I like Wranglers. I always have. I've never bought one. I like Gladiators. I think they're cool. I'll never own one. When I saw the new Bronco, ahhhh, it got me. It got me for a number of reasons, but none of those reasons have to do with it being "better" than the Wrangler.

In the future, whatever current advantages the new Bronco has over the Wrangler will most likely be eliminated, and these two vehicles will pretty much be the same vehicle and the differences will, I assume, be minor or just aesthetic. In that moment, will the .1s, and .2s matter to you? Can you be swayed with an advantage here or there?
No, I don't care.

I'm most interested in whatever would make my wife and I the happiest.

When it comes to off road, the stock specs only matter a little. Anybody who takes their stock vehicle to the absolute limit, would likely be better served by a slightly modified vehicle. Sure, you can do the Rubicon in either a Wrangler or a Bronco, but it's more fun when you're not dragging your skid plates constantly.

You will see all kinds of nonsensical trash talking though. It is starting already. I was watching a recent Busted Knuckle video, with of a bunch of highly modified Jeeps and buggies taking on an extreme trail. Some genius commented, something along the lines of where are all the Broncos, if they are so good off road?" LOL. You can't even buy the Bronco yet, and most of the Jeeps in the video had very little "Jeep" left in them, beyond a few frame and interior parts.

Flourman

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F350 Tremor, 2019 Beta 300RR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ve always wanted a Jeep, parents wouldn’t let me buy one when I was younger because “they roll over too much”. Likely good words for a 15 year old. So I bought an 87 Bronco XLT with a 300 and a T18. I fell in love with it. Even after dropping the tank 2-3 times for fuel pump replacement. I learned how to wheel in it, camping, dates etc. Even drove me halfway across the country to my first “real job”

I sold it later and had about a 5 year gap with not bronco. I bought a 95 Bronco that had some trail work done to it. Wheeled the crap out of it and later sold it before I moved.

Fast forward to now, I finally got my Jeep (traded a shotgun for a non-runner and proceeded to dump a lot of money into it). Guess what, I’m more excited for the Bronco because I’ve been waiting close to 20 years for this.

Competition is great. And I think Ford came out swinging and it will make Jeep have to build better stuff.

Part of me has never liked the “Jeep crowd” as they’ve seemed elitist. I always envisioned them as either the people who take a 2nd mortgage to afford tires and wheels or the grumpy old guy with gray hair and a fuzzy gray mustache (no offense) that complains about “them kids” out on the trails.

I like to rebel and the Bronco is the perfect vehicle to rebel against my perception of the “Jeep crowd”. It fits me. Well, it fits my wife because it will be her vehicle......

CinciGP

Base
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
`72 Jeep CJ6, `04 Jeep Rubicon, '18 Jeep JLU sport, `09 Mercedes CLK550
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Because I can't get the jeep as I want it from the factory. I want the base 4 door model, with half doors and with all the offroad rubicon parts. Nothing else.

I can get exactly that with the bronco, plus no side curtains, more hp, mirrors stay on when doors are removed and the doors store in the back. The only thing i cant get is a washout interior. But jeep does not have marine interior any trim level.

But I agree, Jeep has not had much competition. The lack of significant improvements over the years shows this.

Sponsored

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'd have a Gladiator now if they were available when I needed a truck

I'm basically thinking of waiting to sell my Audi and buying a TJ as a holdover toy with half of what I got saved, then selling it high in the summer to recoup some loss, that or a Miata/MR2 Spyder

Way I see it, competition keeps you on your toes, and Jeeps gotten lazy with no natural competitors, so while I don't care about the specifics, glad to see that this is back

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have had one Jeep (LJ) one Dodge Pick Up, two Chevys (Tahoe and Comaro) 1 Toyota Camry and 17 Fords (4 F150s, 1 Bronco, 2 Bronco II’s, 3 Rangers, 5 Explorers and a bunch of sedans). Competition is good and fun. It can get out of hand, but I will surely enjoy pulling out and stuck Jeep (Toyota, Chevy, Nissan.....) and telling them they should have bought a Ford. First On Race Day ??

iamchewby

Badlands
First Name
Chewby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't care. I like Jeeps, always have. I was even about to buy one until the Bronco was revealed. My dad had an 83 Bronco while I was growing up, by the time I got old enough to drive, the newest Bronco was already 10 years old... I want a Bronco of my own.

csj

Outer Banks
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Tacoma OR
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I don't see how someone could like the new Bronco, and not like the Wranglers. The 4 doors in particular are very, very similar, the exterior and interior dimensions are all within inches of each other, the payloads and tow capacities are almost identical, looks like Ford saw a good thing and copied it. The Bronco has the advantage in supposedly better reliability, it sounds like the 2.7l will be easier to mod than the Wrangler v6, and imho the IFS is better for almost all buyers. From what I've seen so far I still think the Wrangler Rubicon's are better looking, but I haven't seen a Bronco in person yet.

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't care. I love both, and OHVs in general. Scouts, Blazers, Land Cruisers, Defenders. Love 'em all.

I've owned two Jeeps and this'll be my first Ford.

It seems that a lot of people on this forum have never paid attention to Jeeps at all which I find weird.
Sponsored