First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Tacoma OR
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Correct me if I'm mistaken, the Aviator hybrid only has that amount of power when the battery is fully charged? When the battery is dead, the power is much less, and you're lugging around a heavy battery? Don't get me wrong, I think a plug in hybrid Bronco would be great, just not sure if that would work for a performance Bronco? I guess we'll all find out eventually.
Sponsored

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Agreed. Everyone wants a hybrid but no one is accounting for the battery weight. The f150 powerboost is 600 pounds heavier than the ICE F150. This is why the gen3 raptor did not have a powerboost.

I will wager that when the warthog comes out there will not be a hybrid option.

GoTigersGoBronco

Badlands
First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think a 2.7 Powerboost hybrid option would be cool. Not sure the plug in credit would be worth the extra weight and higher depreciation.

bodie_38

First Name
Bodie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac ELR, Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Correct me if I'm mistaken, the Aviator hybrid only has that amount of power when the battery is fully charged? When the battery is dead, the power is much less, and you're lugging around a heavy battery?
This is not how a PHEV works (at least it shouldn't be). The battery is never allowed to run all the way down. There is an artificial, minimum state of charge (SOC) set by the vehicle computer to prevent that. Lithium batteries do not like to be all the way full and they hate to be all the way empty. On the battery gauge, fully charged is not 100% and fully empty is not 0%.
"Empty" may be about 30% SOC and when the battery reaches that state, the gas engine will start regardless of the drive mode selected to maintain the minimum SOC. It starts to work like a regular hybrid at that point with power coming from the engine and battery when necessary and the engine charging the battery (to get back to the minimum SOC) depending on demand. Even at a stop, the engine may continue to run to put charge back into the battery. My current PHEV has several drive modes, one of which is called "mountain". Mountain mode sets a minimum SOC of 50% to help ensure there is enough battery to assist (max engine+battery) on a long ascent (high demand) situation. If the battery SOC is less than 50%, the engine will immediately start and begin charging the battery up to 50% and will then maintain 50%. This kind of mode might be called "off-road" and ensures max power remains available even if there is a long period of high demand.
You do always have to lug the weight of the battery though. On the bright side, the bigger the battery, the more instantaneous power can be drawn out without damaging the pack.

Sponsored

MDbeachguy

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Aviator 3.0L PHEV 494 horsepower and 630 lb-ft of torque

Wrangler 392 470 horsepower and 470 pound-feet of torque

That's before any performance tuning is done to the 3.0L Ecoboost PHEV

Not to mention I'd be the Bronco Warthog will get better MPGs too.

The Coyote out of a Mustang GT doesn't even have those numbers.
its still an embarrassing hybrid on their flagship "performance" desert runner

put the hybrid in all the other cars and slap the coyote or godzilla in the car and let people put superchargers and shit on it.

bodie_38

First Name
Bodie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac ELR, Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

put the hybrid in all the other cars and slap the coyote or godzilla in the car and let people put superchargers and shit on it.
What's embarrassing about a drive train with potentially 24 more HP and 160 ft-lb more torque? Hybrid does not necessarily equal non-performance. It can, but it depends on the application , engine, size of battery, etc.

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus ST, '21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What's embarrassing about a drive train with potentially 24 more HP and 160 ft-lb more torque? Hybrid does not necessarily equal non-performance. It can, but it depends on the application , engine, size of battery, etc.
I mean just look how embarrassing these halo-car hybrids are. EW. Gross.

maxresdefault.jpg

BHShaman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Plus, this frame is already fairly packed. I wonder how big of a battery could fit?
All it needs is 25 miles. A majority of people in the US work within 10-15 miles of their home. That is basically a gas free daily commute, making it hurt a lot less when you burn a ton of fuel going off-road and spinning wheels and making REVs.

Sponsored

Sherminiator

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

For what? to make 1% of buyers happy who would actually do that?

It makes zero sense for Ford to operate like that-Part of the reason FCA, err Stellantis did that was just for wow factor, all the while lining Telsa's pockets with CAFE credit $$$ they had to pay to "Hellcat everything"

You sound like a knuckledragger that can't embrace technology when there are plenty of ways to skin a cat when it comes to performance...

Not to mention a using the 392 Jeep as an example-13 seconds is NOT fast what so ever when comes to a performance vehicle. My 2013 SHO could run high 12 seconds with a 93 tune on it.

OP
OP
rivasrubicon

rivasrubicon

Raptor
First Name
Patric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Genesis G70, 2018 Corolla
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I will wager that when the warthog comes out there will not be a hybrid option.
I would hope there would be, understanding the weight would likely be the reason they wouldnt. I am looking at it from

I don't know if I can agree with what you said. The Godzilla and Coyote engine are nice in their own right, but I can see a almost 500 HP hybrid being more efficient and thrilling than that. But to each their own.

OP
OP
rivasrubicon

rivasrubicon

Raptor
First Name
Patric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Genesis G70, 2018 Corolla
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Aviator 3.0L PHEV 494 horsepower and 630 lb-ft of torque

Wrangler 392 470 horsepower and 470 pound-feet of torque

That's before any performance tuning is done to the 3.0L Ecoboost PHEV

Not to mention I'd be the Bronco Warthog will get better MPGs too.

The Coyote out of a Mustang GT doesn't even have those numbers.
Exactly. I would hope people understand the power unlocked from PHEV. You can't match that torque with a coyote. I will cross my fingers in hope of the PHEV setup.

Sherminiator

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Exactly. I would hope people understand the power unlocked from PHEV. You can't match that torque with a coyote. I will cross my fingers in hope of the PHEV setup.
Its not even that-the 3.0L Ecoboost might be able to be tuned. The P/HEV 10 speed is an extra 75-100HP with a gob a torque.

The real gains come from a tune adjusting the Turbos etc. The 1st Gen 3.5L Ecoboost ran into a brick wall because the fuel system couldn't support more then 450-500HP. That is part of the reason why the second gen 3.5L Ecoboost has dual injectors (along with the 2.7 and 3.0L ecoboosts) with Direct and PFI style systems on it. The other reason is emissions and carbon build up in the head.

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

There is no question that the PHEV can produce serious power. My apprehension is in the weight, packaging, and durability. How much weight would be added? Where will that weight be located? Can the electrics (motor, batteries, controllers, etc) stand up to the off road pounding a Raptor may be subjected to? Adding 500+ pounds to an already tightly package vehicle will be a challenge. Further complicating that is that vehicle will have soft long travel suspension with the intent that it is used off road. I do think it will have something other than the 2.7L and definitely not a 5.0L.
Sponsored