Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GMC truck
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

AND
I had a great conversation with an engineer at Ford Performance in their booth at SEMA. He said a tune is expected in the 1 st qtr of 22. He also assured me that it will wake up the 2.3, adding about 25 hp move the torque lower down the rpm curve, and throttle response will sharpen. He also said it would be able to change tire size.
He said they are limited by carb, epa, and 50 state requirements. There will most likely be a 48 state version and separate Calif. version. Really great conversation. When it’s released I’m convinced Ill buy it.
Probably nothing for 2.7, to much touqe.
Sponsored

LHD

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Samurais, Corvairs, 914-6, TT, F350 SD
Your Bronco Model
Base
AND

Probably nothing for 2.7, to much touqe.
Just moving the torque down the curve and sharpening the throttle would make a big difference. We didn’t talk about the 2.7.

climb2descend

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15'F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
I had a great conversation with an engineer at Ford Performance in their booth at SEMA. He said a tune is expected in the 1 st qtr of 22. He also assured me that it will wake up the 2.3, adding about 25 hp move the torque lower down the rpm curve, and throttle response will sharpen. He also said it would be able to change tire size.
He said they are limited by carb, epa, and 50 state requirements. There will most likely be a 48 state version and separate Calif. version. Really great conversation. When it’s released I’m convinced Ill buy it.
I'll assume the tune is going to be different then the ranger ford performance tune, did the differences come up at all?

MWILD

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 - BB Sasquatch - Mid - 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Just moving the torque down the curve and sharpening the throttle would make a big difference. We didn’t talk about the 2.7.
Yep, peak numbers might not be that impressive but increasing boost at lower RPMs makes normal acceleration effortless and more enjoyable. I have a piggyback tuner on my 2.0L Turbo Jeep. While peak gains are low double digit it still feels more spritely and just more fun to drive without having to stomp it. I’d be okay with something like this, but I’d be lying if I didn’t want the same kind of peak gains the 2.7L F150s are seeing.

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Whipple superchargers!!...

...dumb little air filter

Sponsored

kevin.gt

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Is it surprising that an aftermarket tuner could do a better calibration than the OEM? No experience with these things though.
The way I understand it, it’s not that aftermarket tuners calibrate better than OEM. They are just willing to tell the computer to push the turbos harder. I believe the tunes customize engine map parameters like boost, fuel/air ratios, timing, etc over different rpm’s. Ford could push the engines harder if desired at the cost of longevity and eating into their 2.7L sales.

kevin.gt

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Does anyone know if Ford can detect removed tunes if flashed back to stock before being serviced? I believe VW’s have a flash counter on them or something that can’t be reset and is an indicator of previous aftermarket tune. Personally I’m not worried about modest tunes causing engine damage within the normal factory warranty miles, but I do worry manufacturers will try to blame the tune for unrelated leaking gaskets, etc.

GotWake

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does anyone know if Ford can detect removed tunes if flashed back to stock before being serviced? I believe VW’s have a flash counter on them or something that can’t be reset and is an indicator of previous aftermarket tune. Personally I’m not worried about modest tunes causing engine damage within the normal factory warranty miles, but I do worry manufacturers will try to blame the tune for unrelated leaking gaskets, etc.
I imagine they can. When they had to buy my daughter’s mustang back. They sent an engineer out to the dealership trying to prove I had a tune on it. They were looking at start cycles and everything. Of course. I didn’t have a tune on it.

Losy

Raptor
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen 1 Raptor, GL63, S7
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

By chance do you have a link for that? I will do a tune to help increase my drivetrain performance in the future depending on the Warranty impact. Might have to first do the Ford Performance Tune so there is a warranty.
My sons mustang GT has a tune and never had the Ford dealer question any warranty repairs. Might depend on the dealer, but worth asking your local dealer.

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Sponsored

andrusoid

Base
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Outback, '79 2G, '89 3G, '92 5G White!
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I think they have plenty of power without messing with them.
Agreed, Base in Sport mode is more than adequate for me, but then I am easily amused.

OP
OP
LethalPerformance

LethalPerformance

Raptor
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lethalperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 First Edtion 2.7L / 2020 Shelby GT500 CF
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
You didn’t answer my question. Is this an ECU swap, do you have to unlock the ECU to do this tune? If so, there is not a dealer in the US that won’t void a warranty for messing with your ECU. I’ve owned many sports cars, I know the drill with this.
This is not an ECU swap. The Tomahawk device has the ability to read and write on the stock computer where most of, if not all other aftermarket devices out there can’t.

As far as your experience with warranties go I’m not here to debate that. However my personal experience over the last 18 years with modding Ford vehicles has been completely different than yours. Out of all of the Ford cars and trucks I’ve owned, which is quite a lot, I’ve never had a warranty denied. Ever.

OP
OP
LethalPerformance

LethalPerformance

Raptor
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lethalperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 First Edtion 2.7L / 2020 Shelby GT500 CF
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
When I hear "high flow air filter" for an off-roader, I get a little skeptical...
I'd rather have guaranteed filtration and flow when it's been down 1000's of miles of dusty roads
No need to worry. These filters are made by an industry leader and are used in many different off-road as well as UTV applications. The filter is also just a stock replacement for the factory one and is still housed inside of the sealed airbox.
Sponsored