Sponsored

Broncos Broken @ Off-Roadeo (I broke a CV shaft or joint)

goatman2

Badlands
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gandgautorepair.com
Vehicle(s)
F450, Jeep XJ, Porsche 911, 2dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It was not. Red OBX

I drove a red OBX at Vegas Off Roadeo. I went back in Sept. Stock front shafts can break, unfortunately. If we did the same thing with Jeep Wranglers there would be some broken front axle u-joints. Most Jeeps that get bigger tires and wheel regularly automatically upgrade to Chromoly front axles. Interesting that Ford right away had upgraded front axles in the dealer accessory parts catalog.

Techguy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford & Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
2 Broncos I was in at the Austin Off-Roadeo lost the ability to use the lockers. The team (and they were awesome, by the way) speculates that there is high iron content in the soil at that location and the ABS sensors get clogged/screwed up which disables the ABS and all the AdvancTrac features. They said the other Off-Rodeos don't seem to see the same failures, hence the high-iron content speculation. They also think that, since these live on the course (some very hard miles), they never get out on the road at high speeds which might help clean the sensors. But, I don't think they have found a great solution.

When it happened on the first Bronco, we were in a location where it was easy to back out and return that broken pony to the corral and replace it with another.

When it happened to the second Bronco, it was right in front of THE hardest 2 stage rock face. The team coached me through the first stage of that face using left-foot braking. They then coached me through the harder second step (felt almost vertical) using the same technique. We gave it several attempts and on the third attempt the driver's side front axle snapped near the CV joint. They said that I did everything right, but the torque it placed on the axle was just too much. It was a bummer, but they just kept saying not to worry about it. They said they were going to get it fixed "under warranty" LOL. It was very cool. Two pluses from the experience, (1) watching how easily the other Broncos tackled that insane rock face with lockers engaged show how special the Bronco is, and (2) it was my first time to experience a winch recovery (and the young lady driving the Bronco with the winch got to experience the recovery from her driver's seat ... she was also awesome).
Sponsored