Sponsored

Broncos Not Selling —> Dealers Moving (Broncos) to Auction?

voxel

Heritage
First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I picked up my 2 door manual in November. I was the second person to get a manual they said. This is a enthusiast forum so a lot of people on here post that's what they want, but general public all want automatics nowdays. This was from a good sized dealership, no idea how many broncos they have sold but I'm sure it was a lot of people prior to mine.
Yup. I'm see a LOT of manuals available at MSRP.

This Florida dealer has no markup and all the available ones are all manuals

https://www.jarrettfordavonpark.com...Ford&accountId=billjarrettfordfd&model=Bronco
Sponsored

Fly

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I've been getting a lot of calls/texts from dealers I haven't talked to in months. I suspect the bottom is about to fall out of the new car market.

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I might buy a 24' leftover 2-door in spring 25', assuming I can get it for about $7k-$10k under MSRP.
I hope they don't make you pee in a cup.

DC4MVP

Big Bend
First Name
D.C.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F-150 Platinum, 2022 Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Their money, their car. It can sit if they want.

I'm not like that, but if someone is, ah well.

I have seen a lot of Bronco's on lots when I've been driving around lately. The shitty dealer I bought mine from has had any on their lot so I guess they are selling them. The used car market seems to finally be slowing and hopefully will come back to reality soon.
Oh wasn't knocking the guy for treating it as an investment I just hate to see fine machines being garage queens. 100% understand why he's doing it.

The dealer I'm working with must have gotten 6 2023's allotted as they're posted on their website (including a sasquatch). Saw the 6 on there yesterday morning and one must have been sold between now and then as it's no longer listed.

Must depend on the area/dealer.

broncoj11

Badlands
First Name
Trunks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier Pro 4X
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The TFL studios first edition auction was only 55 last I checked…. I think values are going down

Sponsored

Hossfire

Wildtrak
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Jeep Commander
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

A lot of the dealers here in Texas are still trying to get $10k-$12k ADM, but are not selling, and not budging on price. I think they are trade-ins or auction buys they overpaid for, and can't even break even at the auctions. I guess they aren't ready to take the hit yet, but they have been sitting on the lots since June. Some of the ones listed at $5k ADM have sold, but that may not be what the dealer gets.
You can find some at MSRP if you look hard and far. I watched a Wildtrack list at MSRP and then sold a few days later. I got my BL -Lux, soft top, & manual at $2k over. It has about $1k in accessories, and Gold pre-owned cert, so it was worth it to me since I keep my vehicles for a very long time. Had to go to Dallas to get it, and I live on the Texas cost 5.5 hours away.
I'll throw some math out. Prime lending rates are now 7.75%. That's the best rate a dealer can get. Interest rates are still going up. They have a car costing them $50,000 on the lot. So the dealer borrows $50,000*.0775/12= $323 every month the car sits. They also need to maintain the vehicle, which cost them money. Eventually, they need to cut a deal and sell.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
They had a lightning MSRP of $97.7k, listed at $150k on sale at $119.9k:
Lightning prices have crashed. My boss just passed on his order (Lightning Lariat ER) last week.

He realized it wouldn't fit in his garage, and when we checked prices on BAT they were bringing MSRP.

TallDude

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The TFL studios first edition auction was only 55 last I checked…. I think values are going down
I was watching that one. Went to $60.1k, reserve at $69k.

PrepVet

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I'll throw some math out. Prime lending rates are now 7.75%. That's the best rate a dealer can get. Interest rates are still going up. They have a car costing them $50,000 on the lot. So the dealer borrows $50,000*.0775/12= $323 every month the car sits. They also need to maintain the vehicle, which cost them money. Eventually, they need to cut a deal and sell.
I'm waiting to replace my familytruckster for the prices to come back down to reality on used cars. I've reached out to a few places on some Expy Max's but they didn't want to move on price. So I declined, a few have reached out to me about it. I am just going to sit tight until I find exactly what I want. Several of these used cars have been listed for a while.

Lightning prices have crashed. My boss just passed on his order (Lightning Lariat ER) last week.

He realized it wouldn't fit in his garage, and when we checked prices on BAT they were bringing MSRP.
This is not bashing electric cars, but the real world usefulness and how ford marketed the new Lightning is horrid. They look to be a great fun toy but as a replacement for a gasser F150 for real world use? Not even close.

Someshoes

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford truck
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

This is absolutely not true. I signed a loan less than a week ago and was MILES below that with a loan from the dealership who beat my credit union. It was more than 2% under what you stated.

I can't discuss these things because of my job but I assure you, if someone told you 7.75 is the lowest they can go they're lying to your face.

https://www.datcu.org/Loans/Auto-Loans that's 5.99%

https://www.pnc.com/en/personal-banking/borrowing/auto-loans.html This shows a range of 5.74% to 7.69% so below your range even for the highest rate.

I am not recommending either company, I am using facts to demonstrate examples.

Last edited:

Sponsored

huey

Badlands
First Name
kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI VW EOS GMC Envoy Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is absolutely not true. I signed a loan less than a week ago and was MILES below that with a loan from the dealership who beat my credit union. It was more than 2% under what you stated.

I can't discuss these things because of my job but I assure you, if someone told you 7.75 is the lowest they can go they're lying to your face.

https://www.datcu.org/Loans/Auto-Loans that's 5.99%

https://www.pnc.com/en/personal-banking/borrowing/auto-loans.html This shows a range of 5.74% to 7.69% so below your range even for the highest rate.

I am not recommending either company, I am using facts to demonstrate examples.
I closed my deal end of December, my rate was under 5%. I did have to look around but I did see quite a difference from credit unions to dealerships to national banks.

As expected broncos are moving at different paces in different markets. Near me there are 2 dealerships, only 1 has broncos. Last week they had 4, this week they have 1 new 23 & it's not one of the 4 from the previous week. this dealership had ADM on the raptor they had, not sure about the non raptors

Last edited:
OP
OP
CrystalRedTintCoat

CrystalRedTintCoat

Wildtrak
First Name
BertJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Bronco Wildtrak; ‘13 Camaro 1LE
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Dealers don't pay for the cars they get, at first. This is what holdback is for.

The manufacturers front the dealers a percentage of the total vehicle cost to cover the holding cost for six months. This is cover dealer costs like advertising and whatnot. It's called holdback. The dealer owes the MFR the cost of the vehicle upon sale.

When you custom order a car, you should NEVER pay MSRP. You SHOULD pay TRUE dealer cost. Something like ~ MSRP - Dealer Invoice - Holdback - Incentive + Profit. You and the dealer should ONLY negotiate on the profit amount. You have to decide what is a fair and reasonable profit for a 50k vehicle. a 30k vehicle. a 75k vehicle. etc. Models, markets, and demand affect your offer too. You also have to know how long the car has been sitting on the lot and then adjust the holdback amount correctly. I'll get back to this below.

Here's an illustration of how you should negotiate. Dealers HATE this. But, I assure you, I've done this with MOST of the cars I've purchased (Jeep Grand Cherokee, Audi S5, Toyota Highlander, Camaro 1LE, Silverado 2500 HD). Exception: Saturn and Bronco. When done correctly, firmly, politely, without showing your cards, the SELL SELL SELL mode of your dealer's sales rep turns into TRANSACTION mode. They treat you differently. They talk differently. The move briskly.

Aside from the finance manager who tries to sell you the moon, they whisk you through the mechanics of buying super quickly. I've bought most of my vehicles in less than 2 hours from the test drive to leaving the lot. I've bought using a Fax machine sending a canned letter from the Bay Area down to L.A. up to Santa Rosa and East to Nevada. BUT, YOU have to do HOMEWORK beforehand to figure out the dealer invoice, holdback percentage for the manufacturer you're buying from, the incentive and to know the market conditions.

Ford Bronco Broncos Not Selling —> Dealers Moving (Broncos) to Auction? 1675448845631

Holdback -- Look at the date code on the inside of the car door. If it said 8/22 that means it was manufactured in August 2022. Look at your watch. If it says Nov 2022 and it's, say, end of Nov calculate how long that car has been sitting on the lot and, therefore, consuming the holdback. Sept + Oct + Nov equals three months. Three months is half of the holdback period, six months. Now, calculate your holdback. In the illustration above it's 2% or $877. Half that. $439. In your offer, don't use $877 but use, rather, $439. Why? The dealer already spent half of the holdback.

Summary: for a car listed at MSRP of, say, $47,208, you should offer no more than ~ $43,500. Your "negotiation" should be on the $500 only but you don't have to explicitly state that. Know your bottom offer number, your top offer number, try and land in between. Dont' go higher. Walk if you have to.

For this illustration, depending on how much I'd want the car, I'd offer $40,500 ($200 profit), expect the dealer to ask for $51,500($800 profit) and try and land the negotiation at $43,449 ($500 profit). Just DON'T start at MSRP; if you do, you're leaving serious money on the table.

CAVEAT EMPTOR: given the Bronco market "today", none of this may work. :)

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford put out an announcement a few months ago about dealers selling vehicles to locator companies. I probably get 10 emails from "Holly" at Sunbelt Transfers now "William" at Advanced Auto Transfers. Dealers are getting more $$ going this route or auction than they likely would a retail customer. Quick sale, big gross, don't have to pay a sales person and you're out a transportation and maybe sellers fee. Ford wants the limited supply vehicles in a retail customers hands, not sold like this. They even started threatening dealers with allocation if they saw "untitled" vehicles going to these third party sellers. Was not much of a deterrent because now dealers are presumably selling (registering) it to themselves to get around it.

Here's the latest one from "William"

Load 1:

2-23 Raptor w/37

MSRP+$10,000 each

8-22 F150

Invoice+$1000 each

3-22 Explorer

Invoice+$850 each

3-22 Escape

4-22 Mustang

1-22 Edge

2-22 E Transit

Invoice each Delivered

Load 2:

2-22 Raptor

MSRP+$6000 each

1-22 Demo Edge

Invoice minus HB

1-22 F250

Invoice+$3000 Delivered

Load 3:

3-22 F150

Invoice+$950

6-22 Escape

Invoice Delivered

Load 4:

2-23 Raptor w/37

MSRP+$8,000

1-23 Bronco Raptor

MSRP+$35,000

5-22 Bronco Sport

1-22 Ranger

1-22 F150

1-22 Expedition

Invoice+$1000

17-22 Explorer

Invoice+$850

8-22 Edge

5-22 Escape

6-22 Mustang

3-22 Mustang

Invoice

1-22 F250

Invoice+$3000 Delivered

Load 5:

2-23 Raptor w/37

MSRP+$14,000 each

1-23 Bronco Raptor

MSRP+$45,000 Delivered

WHICH LOAD WORKS FOR YOU TO TAKE DELIVERY OF THESE 23 RAPTORS/BRONCO RAPTOR?

Hossfire

Wildtrak
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Jeep Commander
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Dealers don't pay for the cars they get, at first. This is what holdback is for.

The manufacturers front the dealers a percentage of the total vehicle cost to cover the holding cost for six months. This is cover dealer costs like advertising and whatnot. It's called holdback. The dealer owes the MFR the cost of the vehicle upon sale.

When you custom order a car, you should NEVER pay MSRP. You SHOULD pay TRUE dealer cost. Something like ~ MSRP - Dealer Invoice - Holdback - Incentive + Profit. You and the dealer should ONLY negotiate on the profit amount. You have to decide what is a fair and reasonable profit for a 50k vehicle. a 30k vehicle. a 75k vehicle. etc. Models, markets, and demand affect your offer too. You also have to know how long the car has been sitting on the lot and then adjust the holdback amount correctly. I'll get back to this below.

Here's an illustration of how you should negotiate. Dealers HATE this. But, I assure you, I've done this with MOST of the cars I've purchased (Jeep Grand Cherokee, Audi S5, Toyota Highlander, Camaro 1LE, Silverado 2500 HD). Exception: Saturn and Bronco. When done correctly, firmly, politely, without showing your cards, the SELL SELL SELL mode of your dealer's sales rep turns into TRANSACTION mode. They treat you differently. They talk differently. The move briskly.

Aside from the finance manager who tries to sell you the moon, they whisk you through the mechanics of buying super quickly. I've bought most of my vehicles in less than 2 hours from the test drive to leaving the lot. I've bought using a Fax machine sending a canned letter from the Bay Area down to L.A. up to Santa Rosa and East to Nevada. BUT, YOU have to do HOMEWORK beforehand to figure out the dealer invoice, holdback percentage for the manufacturer you're buying from, the incentive and to know the market conditions.

Ford Bronco Broncos Not Selling —> Dealers Moving (Broncos) to Auction? 1675448845631

Holdback -- Look at the date code on the inside of the car door. If it said 8/22 that means it was manufactured in August 2022. Look at your watch. If it says Nov 2022 and it's, say, end of Nov calculate how long that car has been sitting on the lot and, therefore, consuming the holdback. Sept + Oct + Nov equals three months. Three months is half of the holdback period, six months. Now, calculate your holdback. In the illustration above it's 2% or $877. Half that. $439. In your offer, don't use $877 but use, rather, $439. Why? The dealer already spent half of the holdback.

Summary: for a car listed at MSRP of, say, $47,208, you should offer no more than ~ $43,500. Your "negotiation" should be on the $500 only but you don't have to explicitly state that. Know your bottom offer number, your top offer number, try and land in between. Dont' go higher. Walk if you have to.

For this illustration, depending on how much I'd want the car, I'd offer $40,500 ($200 profit), expect the dealer to ask for $51,500($800 profit) and try and land the negotiation at $43,449 ($500 profit). Just DON'T start at MSRP; if you do, you're leaving serious money on the table.

CAVEAT EMPTOR: given the Bronco market "today", none of this may work. :)
I think you’re right about the mechanics, but it all boils down to working capital management. Dealers are incentivized to push vehicles so that Ford doesn’t have borrow more money. The example I was using was more of the “slightly used” vehicles they have bought to resell. Time value of money always exists. We have been in fairy tale land of 12+ years of absurdly low interest rates due to Fed policies. Now that interest rates are back to historic norms, sitting on inventory is really costly. I think the dealers can wait 6 months to find a Raptor buyer @ $30K over MSRP. Other models just aren’t that scarce.

Hossfire

Wildtrak
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Jeep Commander
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Another interesting explanation I heard from guest on ATN was that the advertised ADMs were to deter nuisance buyers who were wasting their time.

If you’re going to let the buyer haggle down to MSRP, just price it at MSRP and tell people the car is here today, maybe gone tomorrow. People can look at your lot inventory and judge that risk themselves. The car negotiation and selling the overpriced extras is the major turnoff to car buying.
Sponsored