Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I went up into the Owyhee Mountains yesterday with my wife. It didn't look all that muddy, but on some of the roads I could hear all kinds of mud being thrown up into the wheel wells. It reminded me of when they spray concrete for pools or something.

Once down out of the hills, when I was airing back up the tires, I used a plastic stick thingy and scraped at least 15 pounds of mud out of the wheel wells. This was nowhere close to all of it, but the best that I could do in ten minutes without getting too muddy myself.
qpgKI9o.jpg

Once home I used a hose to spray as much as I could out of it. Probably another fifteen pounds of mud overall. The corners of the bumpers are real good at holding a bunch of mud in place. It's tough to get the mud out of there. Are other 4x4's like that for holding mud?

In any case, I got it clean enough to take to the local car wash to get it one step cleaner. This one will never be really clean, at least as long as I own it. Now I still have some work cleaning up my driveway, trying not to run any more mud down the gutters than I can help. I need to make friends with a local farmer so that I can do this on their dirt driveway where there is no final cleanup step.
3h5JPxq.jpg
Sponsored

Bronco1010

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am still finding mud and dirt everywhere whenever I start taking something apart. They hold the mud well. I always try to find a self wash carwash on the way home to get as much mud off of it as possible so I don't do that to my driveway.

OP
OP
Scott R Nelson

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I always try to find a self wash carwash on the way home to get as much mud off of it as possible so I don't do that to my driveway.
I'm trying to be a nice guy and not leave piles of mud at the do-it-yourself carwashes, but I've done that a time or two when it was too cold to have my own hose hooked up. I doubt that they appreciate an inch of mud in their wash bays.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There're a ton of open ends in the radiator support inner fender frames that need to be plugged with expanding foam or something.

buck_6G

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Under the fenders and behind the HD Mod bumper are the worst places where mud collects, in my experience. I drove through a touchless wash with underbody spray twice, then drove home to use my pressure washer to get the missed spots. Two weeks later, I realized my front bumper was holding pounds of mud around the pocket fog lights - and this is from one trip.

Sponsored

Bschurr

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Braptor / 2023 Heritage LE / 2016 JKU
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

It sure doesn’t help that the wheel linings are reinforced with cross hatch/square plastic patterns which holds the mud like a mold!

Billnchristy

Black Diamond
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bmw m440i gc,2022 BD 2dr, 1966 mustang
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Agreed, even after pressure washing it seems like there is always additional mud.

I was surprised that there wasn't a huge amount under the oil pan cover, it was covered, but not caked.

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wait until you discover what the fuel tank skid has held onto for you.
Long experience talking here:
Get you a lawn sprinkler, one of the rainbow types.
Put it under the vehicle, let it do its thing for a while.
Move it, continue to rinse and repeat (literally) for a day or two.
It will let most of the caked-on mud fall off.
Get on under there with a pressure washer and get all the angles (front of the rear diff as an example) to things you wouldn't outright see or think of. You'll learn more and more about these hidey-places as you gain experience washing the underside.
If you want super-clean factory-black undersides again, best of luck.
Some simple Green and a long-handled scrub brush (and a LOT of elbow grease and sweat) go a long way to helping this happen.

helifino16

Wildtrak
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Dodge Challenger, 2007 FLHTC "Classic"
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

For a LOT of people, carrying 20-30 extra pounds of mud on that shiney new Bronco is what it was meant for. Not me mind you; I'm the guy with a soft cloth erasing fingerprints off the edge of the doors (lol).

Sponsored

helifino16

Wildtrak
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Dodge Challenger, 2007 FLHTC "Classic"
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Wait until you discover what the fuel tank skid has held onto for you.
Long experience talking here:
Get you a lawn sprinkler, one of the rainbow types.
Put it under the vehicle, let it do its thing for a while.
Move it, continue to rinse and repeat (literally) for a day or two.
It will let most of the caked-on mud fall off.
Get on under there with a pressure washer and get all the angles (front of the rear diff as an example) to things you wouldn't outright see or think of. You'll learn more and more about these hidey-places as you gain experience washing the underside.
If you want super-clean factory-black undersides again, best of luck.
Some simple Green and a long-handled scrub brush (and a LOT of elbow grease and sweat) go a long way to helping this happen.
Or get one of these attachments for your power washer. I see detailers use these.

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Or get one of these attachments for your power washer. I see detailers use these.
Yep.
I have one of those as well, works like a charm to get the majority off.

My above was more for the people I guess who like to sit in lawn chairs drinking a cold beverage whilst the sprinkler does its thing.
Experience also tells me a large percentage of people are those people.

Glad you brought that attachment up, though! I can't recommend it enough.

OP
OP
Scott R Nelson

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Get you a lawn sprinkler, one of the rainbow types. Put it under the vehicle, let it do its thing for a while. Move it, continue to rinse and repeat (literally) for a day or two.
You must live somewhere with more than enough water. Out west we have to conserve it somewhat, although people still waste water in Idaho more than some of the other drier states.

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You must live somewhere with more than enough water. Out west we have to conserve it somewhat, although people still waste water in Idaho more than some of the other drier states.
No. I don't.
On a well 450' deep that can/will run dry.
It was more of a means of "hey here's what others have done that helps" post up.

emulous74

Badlands
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 ZR2 Bison D , '23 Bronco 2DR, MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You’ve got to pay to play. On a trip to Montana I had to spend 3 hours at a pay spray yourself car wash to try to get all the mud off my Colorado Diesel Bison so I could take it to a dealer to try to get the emissions problems fixed. Just like sand you can never get all the mud off.
Sponsored