First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan pup
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I went to BSCE in my WT with 11k on the odometer. My engine # is 21228. Felt pretty good about that, however, I had never been on a trip that was more than 130 miles one way.

I went to the BSCE in TN which was nearly 600 miles one way. In the back of my mind was the 2.7 engine fiasco. Even so, the 2.7 performed flawlessly. I now have about 12,500 miles on the odometer. I just wanted to share so that others in the dreaded 2.7 engine range might have hope.

I already had confidence in the engine (just had not tested it on a long trip), but the 1,200 mile trip was the icing on the cake. It put to rest the 2.7 engine failure thoughts in the back of my mind. I hope many of you are also feeling better about your 2.7. BTW, I averaged 19.8 mpg running 70 mph on interstate and posted speed limits on 2 lane highways.
Sponsored

luvmybronco

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Bronco sport, 1969 Bronco sport, 1990 F250 Lariat 4x4, 2015 F150 Lariat super crew 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That’s good news. When people post about engine failures reaching near 50 total so far, that is nothing. A very small percentage compared to the amount built with no problems. In manufacturing, you will always have a few bad eggs. Even if there were 100 blown engine out of hundreds of thousands of them built, that is less than 1% odds you might have trouble. Pretty good odds if you ask me. Even though, it is unfortunate. All manufacturers and other engines surfer the same issues. It’s just that Everyone posts issues on Bronco6g and we’re all reading it thinking our Bronco will do the same. I don’t want to think like that. I want to enjoy it without worrying about it. I have brand new F250 Tremor with 6.7L that can have the same fate as the 2.7. One never knows, so enjoy it. I’m not going to be afraid to drive mine because someone else had a bad egg.

FrankenRodz

Base
First Name
sheldon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Base 2 - Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Good to hear.
I plan on going Boston to Daytona a few times a year, and that’s my biggest concern.

luvmybronco

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Bronco sport, 1969 Bronco sport, 1990 F250 Lariat 4x4, 2015 F150 Lariat super crew 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It was nice meeting you Mark, hopefully I’ll have both broncos next year. The 68 & 69

FreshKsig

First Edition
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FE Bronco, 22 BB Bronco, 21 Mustang Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I had the same concern in mine before I did a 1,200 mile road trip. Decided to say "screw it" and glad I did. Engine felt great. I am a 21214. I have 5,200 miles now and I know that I am not completely out of the woods but definitely have a little more confidence.
Ford Bronco BSCE Trip vs. 2.7 Engine Failure IMG_1091.JPG

Sponsored

TheGhost

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands, 2009 Mazda RX-8
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Bronco BSCE Trip vs. 2.7 Engine Failure IMG_7225

21161 build on mine...just finished a 1700+ mile round trip visit to Colorado Springs. Just passed 10,000 miles.

Drive your rig peeps.

myrealname123

Badlands
First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

21160 (2 documented failures on that day)

I did 6000 mile trip in Feb/Mar that had some white knuckle days in Wyoming/Montana. Passed 11,000 miles now and I still slap her on the butt before I get in.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

That’s good news. When people post about engine failures reaching near 50 total so far, that is nothing. A very small percentage compared to the amount built with no problems. In manufacturing, you will always have a few bad eggs. Even if there were 100 blown engine out of hundreds of thousands of them built, that is less than 1% odds you might have trouble. Pretty good odds if you ask me. Even though, it is unfortunate. All manufacturers and other engines surfer the same issues. It’s just that Everyone posts issues on Bronco6g and we’re all reading it thinking our Bronco will do the same. I don’t want to think like that. I want to enjoy it without worrying about it. I have brand new F250 Tremor with 6.7L that can have the same fate as the 2.7. One never knows, so enjoy it. I’m not going to be afraid to drive mine because someone else had a bad egg.
Just to clarify, the documented blown 2.7 engines are from our limited membership, NOT from the total amount built so the percentage is way higher. AND if your engine built date falls within the 2 windows, your chances of your engine dropping a valve is most likely greater than not.

So if someone has an AB motor, the I would agree. Probably nothing to worry about. But an AA during those bad build periods.....

Reactions: Cat

Freedom5

Badlands
First Name
Freedom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Classic mini cooper
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
21160 (2 documented failures on that day)

I did 6000 mile trip in Feb/Mar that had some white knuckle days in Wyoming/Montana. Passed 11,000 miles now and I still slap her on the butt before I get in.
How do you identify when you're motor was made? I have a 2022 that should be here any minute.

Sponsored

myrealname123

Badlands
First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How do you identify when you're motor was made? I have a 2022 that should be here any minute.
There's a sticker like this. I think the newer ones are black.

Ford Bronco BSCE Trip vs. 2.7 Engine Failure 20211115_170015

CarStory

Big Bend
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, VW GTI, Subaru STI, Toyota Yaris HB
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Just to clarify, the documented blown 2.7 engines are from our limited membership, NOT from the total amount built so the percentage is way higher. AND if your engine built date falls within the 2 windows, your chances of your engine dropping a valve is most likely greater than not.

So if someone has an AB motor, the I would agree. Probably nothing to worry about. But an AA during those bad build periods.....
What are the engine build dates that the failures are falling within? My date is 21174. I think that puts me real close to the valve issue.

BroncocnorB

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Cobra,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well I’m doing a 600 RT to st Augustine this weekend. My 2.7 day 319 feels REALLY GOOD. Top off, nice weather, great times. I’ll check in next week let y’all know how it went

bytheway

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Feeling less and less worried in my 21209 engine. Over 7,000 miles with an 800 mile 2 day road trip under my belt. Coming from someone who sent the NHTSA a letter to investigate a few months ago.
Sponsored