Sponsored

Build delays, chip shortages, and why you should absolutely not pay MSRP for your delayed vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.

abs

Badlands
First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't think customers should accept the customer satisfaction plan and should demand discounted pricing. Is this a first world problem? Yes absolutely. Should customers have to Pay full price for a one-year delayed vehicle? Absolutely not. Are the supply chain shortages only exclusive to Ford? Absolutely not, but it doesn't matter at the end of the day because this is all about managing expectations and being fair.

I wonder if anyone has looked at the data, I would be curious to see what percentage of customers receive a window sticker and blend date that actually get delayed even further.

Anyways, don't take booze and free parts.
Sponsored

TXAG96

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Bullitt, '01 Boxster, '87 TBird Turbo Coupe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I hear your point and agree it sucks @$$,
BUT....Supply and demand is how businesses live or die.
And right now there are a LOT of people who are willing to pay stupid money for these things.

Sponsored

JaxGtc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 EB Sport; 2021 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'm not sure we are in a position to demand anything. If Ford wants to throw something my way for the wait, I'm totally good with that. But they don't "owe" me anything. Everyone has known since July 2020 that a wait was coming and for some it might be a long wait.

ChrisD

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands, 2021 Lincoln Corsair
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is how we're seeing all these broncos for sale up on EBay with $20K and more markups on them.

Customer: "I demand a discount. I won't pay MSRP!"

Dealer: "Oh, do you mean you are refusing delivery unless we discount it?"

Customer: "I won't pay MSRP. You must discount it."

Dealer: "OK, thanks for refusing delivery. The Johnsons were in just yesterday asking about incoming broncos and are willing to pay $20K over MSRP for one."

I get what you're saying, but good luck with that bold plan.

FlyingBronco

Badlands
First Name
The Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't think customers should accept the customer satisfaction plan and should demand discounted pricing. Is this a first world problem? Yes absolutely. Should customers have to Pay full price for a one-year delayed vehicle? Absolutely not. Are the supply chain shortages only exclusive to Ford? Absolutely not, but it doesn't matter at the end of the day because this is all about managing expectations and being fair.

I wonder if anyone has looked at the data, I would be curious to see what percentage of customers receive a window sticker and blend date that actually get delayed even further.

Good luck buddy. Every industry and almost every company is feeling the supply chain and labor squeeze right now. You are correct about companies needing to manage customers expectations, some will do better than others. In the end, Ford is a company and do what they can to survive those issues and others that manifest themselves due to some side effect of the the last year. Ford absolutely botched the communication side of it all, but they won’t, nor should they have to eat increasing costs in the long run. They are a business and feel the need to survive. They will not take a loss on Bronco.
Our company has worked all 2021 to manage our customers expectations and are passing down cost increases down to our customers, who also pass it down to theirs if they are smart businessmen who want to keep their company strong. Our main issue at the moment is freight cost and availability. If we ate those cost spikes, we would struggle and so would the rest of our industry.
the fact Ford is saying they will honor original order holders to 2021 MSRP, even if they get a 22, is actually the one redeeming quality in all this. They shouldn’t, nor need to give a discount. If you don’t want to pay their rate, go elsewhere for a new car. Sucks, but you have to understand the other side.
If companies make less money, layoffs are inevitable, that could be you or me. Do you really want more turmoil so you can save some money on a luxury item?

Oneand0

Badlands
First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is how we're seeing all these broncos for sale up on EBay with $20K and more markups on them.

Customer: "I demand a discount. I won't pay MSRP!"

Dealer: "Oh, do you mean you are refusing delivery unless we discount it?"

Customer: "I won't pay MSRP. You must discount it."

Dealer: "OK, thanks for refusing delivery. The Johnsons were in just yesterday asking about incoming broncos and are willing to pay $20K over MSRP for one."

I get what you're saying, but good luck with that bold plan.
Exactly!

Sponsored

shoelessjoe

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just let us know how that works out when you stroll into your dealership and demand a discount for having to wait for your Bronco?!?!?!?

ChrisD

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands, 2021 Lincoln Corsair
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

the fact Ford is saying they will honor original order holders to 2021 MSRP, even if they get a 22, is actually the one redeeming quality in all this. They shouldn’t, nor need to give a discount. If you don’t want to pay their rate, go elsewhere for a new car. Sucks, but you have to understand the other side.
This, pretty much. I work in an industry that manufactures things that are constrained due to all the COVID stuff. Right now, anything involving a microchip is 200-300% higher in cost from our suppliers. I'm having a hard time figuring out how Ford is making a profit right now honoring MSRP that came before all the price increases and product shortages.

The weird thing is that the supply chain shortages change every week. I agree that Ford is not keeping the communication up to speed, but what isn't coming is changing fast and it's completely unpredictable. Chip shortages, we all know about that, but I had an order held up several weeks back on account of a shortage of stamped sheet metal. That was hard to explain. "Mr Customer, we are lacking a sheet metal piece that everything else must bolt on to. Our suppliers tell us it will arrive in six weeks."

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Do they not teach kids how capitalism works in our schools any longer?

Supply and demand sets price. Low supply and high demand = high price; high supply and low demand = low price.

Count the number of Broncos delivered this year and think whether your strategy will work.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.