Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mercedes E350, 2023 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hello All,

After reserving my Bronco on October 15, 2020, I finally took delivery of it on February 11, 2023! I thought this day would never come, as I kept getting my hopes up; many of you know that feeling. But, I got my name pulled out of the FOMOCO magic hat and was chosen. This post will be updated with my build progress as well as my impressions of the vehicle - basically a build journal. Feel free to add suggestions/comments/questions and follow along. Good luck to everyone who hasn’t been scheduled/built yet, or as ford would say, “hang in there”.

Contents:
  1. Specifications
  2. Modifications (Planned & Completed)
  3. Process Timeline
  4. Photos (More coming soon!)
  5. Purchasing Process
  6. Initial Impressions
  7. Extra

Specifications:
Ford Bronco Build Journal and Initial Impressions/Review | 2023 Bronco Badlands window_sticker

Planned Modifications:
TypeBrandStatusDate
WheelsFifteen52 Traverse HD 6x139.7 ET0 | 6x5.5" | BS 4.75" / 17x8.5Completed2/11/23
License Plate RelocationValkyrie License Plate Relocation KitCompleted2/11/23
Mud Flaps21 Offroad Mud FlapsCompleted2/12/23
Second Row Seat CoversMabett Rear Seat Back Cover Backrest ProtectorCompleted3/3/23
Lug NutsBimeccOrderedNA
Light BarHeretic Studio 40" LED Light Bar KitInstallingNA
Ditch LightsHeretic Studio LED Ditch Light KitInstallingNA
Fog LightsHeretic Studio LED Fog Light KitInstallingNA
Window TintsNANANA

Timeline:
  1. Reserved October 15, 2020
  2. Ordered March 13, 2021
  3. Updated November 1, 2021
  4. Updated again September 28, 2022
  5. Received a schedule email November 17, 2022 for build week of January 9, 2023
  6. Build week pushed to the week of January 16, 2023
  7. Build finished January 22, 2023
  8. Shipped January 24, 2024 to California by Rail
  9. Arrived to dealer February 8, 2023
  10. Purchased January 11, 2023
Total Days: 849

Stock (February 11, 2023):
Ford Bronco Build Journal and Initial Impressions/Review | 2023 Bronco Badlands stock_photo

As of February 13, 2023:
Ford Bronco Build Journal and Initial Impressions/Review | 2023 Bronco Badlands february13.JPG

Description:
Went to my local tire shop to have them installed by aftermarket wheels. I loved the look of the fifteen52 lineup, and went with the Traverse HD. They add around 1-2 inches of poke from the stock Badlands wheels, which makes the Bronco appear more aggressive. I have black lug-nuts on the way to replace the low-quality stock two piece ones. Although it’s close, there isn't any rubbing.
Also installed the 12 Offroad no-drill mudflaps once I got home, which was unfortunately a 5+ hour process. The instructions were not clear and I had to watch two different YouTube videos to figure it out. Also, I had to make a trip to Home Depot to purchase an 18mm socket (I literally had almost every single size besides this one, go figure). After a lot of elbow grease and many hours later, the front and rear mud flaps were installed. I know the community is divided on flaps, but with the poke of the wheels due to the offset, they are almost a necessity if you want to protect your paint from rock chips.

Extra Photos:
Ford Bronco Build Journal and Initial Impressions/Review | 2023 Bronco Badlands Bronco

Ford Bronco Build Journal and Initial Impressions/Review | 2023 Bronco Badlands IMG_2364

Ford Bronco Build Journal and Initial Impressions/Review | 2023 Bronco Badlands IMG_2373

Ford Bronco Build Journal and Initial Impressions/Review | 2023 Bronco Badlands IMG_2366

Ford Bronco Build Journal and Initial Impressions/Review | 2023 Bronco Badlands IMG_2372

Ford Bronco Build Journal and Initial Impressions/Review | 2023 Bronco Badlands IMG_2375

Ford Bronco Build Journal and Initial Impressions/Review | 2023 Bronco Badlands IMG_2374

Ford Bronco Build Journal and Initial Impressions/Review | 2023 Bronco Badlands IMG_2371

Ford Bronco Build Journal and Initial Impressions/Review | 2023 Bronco Badlands JT1

Ford Bronco Build Journal and Initial Impressions/Review | 2023 Bronco Badlands JT2

Ford Bronco Build Journal and Initial Impressions/Review | 2023 Bronco Badlands JT4
Ford Bronco Build Journal and Initial Impressions/Review | 2023 Bronco Badlands JT3

After Installing the Mabett Rear Seat Back Cover Backrest Protectors:
(Photo Coming Soon)

Purchasing Process:
My dealer was fantastic and the payment process was streamline and clear. They honored MSRP + the rebates from the price protection plan. No hidden fees. I did notice a pen marking on the passenger seat - as if someone accidentally had an uncapped ballpoint pen and accidentally drew a 3 inch line (the dealer said they will have me come back in to get this fixed). I was happy that they honored my request to NOT drill in the front license plate bracket, as it looks awful and I already had an aftermarket solution.

Initial Impressions (more of a jumble of thoughts):

Driving:

Coming from a sports sedan, I was expecting to feel quite disconnected from the road, but that was not the case. Although the car eats up and manages bumps and holes well, I can still feel the road (it does not give a floating sensation). The first thing I noticed was how high up I was compared to other vehicles. I was never used to being able to see the roofs of other cars including other SUVs. During my 400 mile drive, I averaged around 16 MPG in a mix between Eco and Normal modes, driving around 70-80 MPH, resulting in a total range of around 280 miles. I wasn’t expecting a lot of tire noise, and there was basically none. But, there was definitely a lot of wind noise from the MIC top. The wind noise didn’t really start until around 50+ MPH. You habituate to it very quickly, and it gets drowned out by conversations and music. I cannot speak on the acceleration too much as I am waiting for the 500 mile “break in” period to floor it, but it definitely has pep in its step. The v6 has acceleration in the low end and picks up well even to calm driving so far (Eco and Normal modes). Another small annoyance is that the camera will not stay on when driving in Eco/Normal modes. I haven’t tested this in any other modes, and recall that Baja mode enables the vehicle to keep the cameras on even when driving at faster speeds.

Appearance:
I was worried that, without SAS, my Bronco would look disproportionate, but I was pleasantly surprised. The 33” that came stock with the Badlands looked fantastic with the 2 door. I would say that a 4 door definitely looks the best with SAS, since anything smaller than a 35” on that large of a vehicle looks off. A small gripe about the rear bumper is that it isn’t fully steel. It is 50/50 steel and plastic, with the parking sensors in the steel lower half (the front bumper is fully steel). This might be an unpopular opinion, but I actually like the whip-style antenna. It adds to the overall “buggy” and “rugged” look to the vehicle. The roof rack from the factory is a must. I looked at other broncos without it and knew they looked a bit off - it was the missing roof rack. It truly changes the overall look of the vehicle and makes it a lot more aggressive and is sort of like the cherry on top. Cactus Gray really does change colors under different lighting conditions. It can appear more blueish, grayish, or even sometimes a bit of greenish. The hoop step looks great. Since I don’t plan on going on super technical rock crawling trails, it shouldn’t impede the capabilities of my vehicle. It does stick out to around 6 inches and will prevent a runaway shopping cart or would-be door dinger from smashing into your door.

Features:
I drove the car around 400 miles this weekend (all pavement) and am confident to say that the adaptive cruise control is a great feature and extremely useful. Although some people said that the B&O sound system was lackluster, I thought that it sounded good. I wouldn’t recommend turning up the bass too much more than standard, as it does begin to rattle at those settings. But, with that being said, the surround sound was not bad at all and was more than adequate. The screen is very responsive and my iPhone connects extremely quickly. The wireless charging pad does heat up more quickly than other charging pads I have used before. I do wish that the gage cluster had more customization options, since the default screen is always there, and you only get a small sliver in the right corner to customize. It would be a great addition if Ford added the ability to change the ambient lighting from the standard blue. The lane-keeping assist feature is almost useless, as all it does is vibrate the steering wheel and show a graphic when you are drifting out of your lane. There is no active steering aid to help guide the vehicle back into the lane.

Other:
The build quality feels pretty good: no rattles yet. Another small, yet good detail is the no-cap gas filling process: it’s a small convenience but goes a long way. Another great surprise was how great the visibility is in the 2 door. There are windows everywhere; you feel like you are in a glass box. Thus, the blindspots are almost non-existent. The rear seats are actually quite usable. A 6’ person can easily get in the back and not be crunched even with the front seats in normal positions. I might be the only person that has complained about this, but the front two cup holders are not large enough to fit some types of water bottles (think the large, 30 oz+ metal ones). If you click the key once to lock, there isn’t a horn indicator beep, but a double-click will blast a loud horn (that will wake up anyone nearby haha). When I picked up the car, it had around 30 miles on it. My dealer said (yes I know) that they were not taking any walk-in orders and haven’t been for a while. All of the Broncos being delivered are for reservation holders or previous early orders. Due to the windshield being so vertical, it collects a LOT of bugs. Be aware that this might translate to more rock chips.

Extra:
I plan on keeping this vehicle for its entire lifespan (>10 years). I have been looking for a new car for the past 3+ years since my daily driver sedan is now 13 years old and maintenance costs are piling up like an (ice) mountain. I also got stuck in a gravel driveway since it is a rear wheel drive only system as well as a flat tire and bent rim from driving over a small rock (the former was an annoyance, the latter was an expensive annoyance). The Bronco will be my daily driver and I also will use it to explore mountains, deserts, trails, and basically anywhere - I enjoy photography in my free time and the Bronco will help me get shots that I haven’t been able to reach before as well as being a very practical SUV.

More updates to come!

-JAX
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
JAX

JAX

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Reserved for future updates

OP
OP
JAX

JAX

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Reserved for future updates

kojack19

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Congrats and great start. Add some more pics of that Bronco though!

Reactions: JAX

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
<much snippage>
Features:
I drove the car around 400 miles this weekend (all pavement) and am confident to say that the adaptive cruise control is a great feature and extremely useful. Although some people said that the B&O sound system was lackluster, I thought that it sounded good. I wouldn’t recommend turning up the bass too much more than standard, as it does begin to rattle at those settings. But, with that being said, the surround sound was not bad at all and was more than adequate.

-JAX
Your sticker says HIGH package but you are saying you have the B&O? Did you do something post-install with your dealer? Is this new in 2023 as prior to this MY the B&O was only optioned within the LUX package?

Edit: So just ignore this as it's been pointed out I can't read (very well). :oops:

Last edited:

Sponsored

Badger_Dad

Wildtrak
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco 4 dr Hardtop
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Your sticker says HIGH package but you are saying you have the B&O? Did you do something post-install with your dealer? Is this new in 2023 as prior to this MY the B&O was only optioned within the LUX package?

Clearly says LUX package in equipment group.

C00TER

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I finally got the courage to step on the gas in Baja mode, and I didn’t know what I was missing!! Select Baja then select 2wd with traction control off and my 2 door badlands transformed into side by side!!! Every thing changed from holding R’s and growling like a beast with aggressive shifting patterns, to softer suspension dampening to soak up the bumps on the rutted dirt road I was on.
Let the fun times begin đŸ˜ŽđŸ€©đŸ˜Ž

OP
OP
JAX

JAX

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I finally got the courage to step on the gas in Baja mode, and I didn’t know what I was missing!! Select Baja then select 2wd with traction control off and my 2 door badlands transformed into side by side!!! Every thing changed from holding R’s and growling like a beast with aggressive shifting patterns, to softer suspension dampening to soak up the bumps on the rutted dirt road I was on.
Can't wait!

OP
OP
JAX

JAX

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Congrats and great start. Add some more pics of that Bronco though!
Thank you! I'll add more photos ASAP - going up to some mountains soon with my camera so I'll have some great pictures from that.

Sponsored
OP
OP
JAX

JAX

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just added a bunch of photos from my most recent trip to Mount Baldy. Scroll up in the original post to see the rest :)
Here is a sneak preview:
Ford Bronco Build Journal and Initial Impressions/Review | 2023 Bronco Badlands IMG_2373

Last edited:

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Nice Bronco.(y) Are those still the stock BFG 285/70R17? They look great on your 2DR with those wheels.

OP
OP
JAX

JAX

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nice Bronco.(y) Are those still the stock BFG 285/70R17? They look great on your 2DR with those wheels.
Thank you! Yes, those are the stock tires.

Sardine

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Elantra N - 6 speed & 2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Every thing changed from holding R’s and growling like a beast with aggressive shifting patterns, to softer suspension dampening to soak up the bumps on the rutted dirt road I was on.
Huh? I don't think the Bronco's suspension is adjustable. Am I wrong?

C00TER

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Huh? I don't think the Bronco's suspension is adjustable. Am I wrong?
Damping changes I believe
I do know it felt completely different
Sponsored