Build up a repairable?

ferbm

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Couple SUVs, couple clunkers, one sweet ride.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't mean to pass any bad ju-ju to any future Bronco owners, but stuff happens. The Jeep world has a pretty aggressive market for totaled daily drivers to serve as a platform for a ground-up rig build. These almost always come with a salvaged title, so you aren't likely to make your money back if you ever sell the end product. However, could it be a way to get a G6 on the cheap, build it exactly as you want it, beat the crap out of it and not lament over every dent and scratch from the trail?

I'm still waiting on the Warthog, but this idea crept into my idle mind.
Sponsored

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I’m guessing after repairs and upgrades, you’re not really that far off from new. Especially, if you pay someone else to do any of the work.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I currently have an 05 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited that has a "Rebuilt from Salvage" Title. I saved a few thousand $ when I bought it in 2007 and will be selling it to buy the Bronco. It has been as reliable and solid as any Jeep and allowed me to get into a Rubicon I otherwise couldn't have afforded. So I think it's a valid strategy. (So maybe a Badlands or Wildtrak you couldn't otherwise swing). The issue will be finding a quality rebuild on the vehicle you want, may be rare for a while.

That said, I'll probably have to take a hit when I sell my Wrangler, but I won't give it away. LJ Rubicon's are a unicorn so I should be OK

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
That's my plan, but I'm not going stock. I may not even keep stock engine. Probably a used 7.3 gas, 6 speed auto (I don't need even that many gears, but an overdrive would be nice), a 205 (if it adapts, and only because I have 6 of them and the mogs are a 7.56 overall diff ratio, so don't need super deep TC ratio) and full width mog 404's (maybe 406's, I have both sets)

drive21bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Would be a cool idea for a hardcore trail rig but I think that’s it

Sponsored

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Would be a cool idea for a hardcore trail rig but I think that’s it
Yes, that's all I want. Something lighter overall than my 79, easier to get parts for (78/79 parts are going through the roof, as nice one's are starting to go for classic bronco money), and maybe AC.

OP
OP
ferbm

ferbm

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah, when I think like this, I see this as a 3rd or 4th vehicle just for fun and not caring. Dogs, mud, fishing gear, camping. No washing EVER. Just good mechanical maintenance and then let the rest be what it is. In this scenario, I don't see any reason to overspend, or think of it as a precious investment. Buy it broke, fix it, and beat it. Shoot! Likely NEVER have the doors or top on it!

Hey19

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands 2dr 7spd, 1966 A code Mustang coupe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nothing wrong with your idea at all and I'm sure some pretty cool builds will come out of some of the wrecks.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

LOL, just was talking to the wife about this yesterday, regarding an F250 though.

Find out how the insurance companies are dealing with hurricane/flood vehicles and they often just start totaling anything that was in a certain region that is presented for claims.
I've seen really good vehicles that really just needed the interior, removed, cleaned and dried, check the electonics very throughly, fluid change etc etc etc and guys have gotten really good trucks on the very cheap.
The ones I saw were for personal use and the salvage title was not a concern and they would deal with any issues as they came up.
It's a motorhead thing I guess....

Rollerstud98

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Nissan Titan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes, that's all I want. Something lighter overall than my 79, easier to get parts for (78/79 parts are going through the roof, as nice one's are starting to go for classic bronco money), and maybe AC.

Funny thing is, 6G’s aren’t much lighter than gen 2 Bronco.

Sponsored
OP
OP
ferbm

ferbm

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You can find all kinds of stuff on copart.com, but I'm just learning about them and I think you might need a dealers license or broker to buy from them in some states. Does anyone know more about buying from an insurance reseller like this?

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You can find all kinds of stuff on copart.com, but I'm just learning about them and I think you might need a dealers license or broker to buy from them in some states. Does anyone know more about buying from an insurance reseller like this?
Depends on the state the sale is occuring in. You can sort by "No License Requirement" to see what a layperson can buy outright. If they do require a license, you can use a broker. Everything I've read about Copart says to expect a bunch of extra fees on top of the sale price. The thing that irks me most is that there's no way to see what things are selling for unless you follow the auction live.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Funny thing is, 6G’s aren’t much lighter than gen 2 Bronco.
Will see after it's gutted of all the crap I don't want. Even a body swap onto what I
have now would probably save significant weight. A 78/79 hood is 75 lbs, just by itself. :)
Sponsored