Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hello Bronco Badasses! I'm in search of a list of essential tools for emergency trail repairs. I understand that the tools needed may differ depending on how your Bronco is built, how you wheel, and if you know how to use them. As such, I would like to minimize the number of tools I carry and only bring those that are necessary for emergency repairs to get me home.

Although unexpected situations may arise, I don't want to bring unnecessary items, such as a complete set of impact sockets in SAE and Metric if they are not needed. I believe that I can leave out the SAE impacts since Ford mainly uses metric, but please correct me if I'm mistaken.

I hope that you can recommend the essential tools that one should always bring and not include recovery gear, tire repair, compressor, jack, spare tie rods, and others as I already have them covered. I appreciate any feedback.

Here are the tools that I am currently carrying:

• Complete socket set with SAE (standard) and Metric with 3/8" and 1/2" drives, including deep and standard sockets.
  • Crescent, open-end combination box wrenches in SAE (standard) and Metric.
  • Allen wrenches.
  • Torx and TorxPlus socket sets.
  • Standard and Phillips screwdrivers in large, medium, and small sizes.
  • Hammer (I may need a bigger dead blow ball peen hammer).
  • Pliers (regular, vice grips, needle-nose, and large channel-lock).
  • Utility knife or razor blades.
  • Crescent wrenches in medium and large sizes.
  • Telescoping magnet.
  • 1/2" impact driver.
  • Impact socket set in SAE (standard) (7/16 to 1 -1/4)and Metric (10mm to 32mm)
  • Impact adapter/reducer set.
  • Multimeter.
In addition to these tools, I also carry nitrile gloves, spare fluids, rags/towels, zip ties, JB Weld, electric tape, and duct tape.

Other tools that I have seen suggested but am not carrying include slip joint pliers, pipe wrenches (2 medium ones may be useful for tie-rods), a breaker bar/pry bar (which I need to add), snap ring pliers, CV puller, a brass drift for unsticking steel parts without damaging them, snap-ring pliers, and a spare serpentine belt with the correct sized socket for the belt tensioner.
Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm still building out my travel tool set myself, so admittedly I don't have a whole lot contribute. BUT... I can contribute something...
  • Everything on the Bronco is metric, they do not use SAE sizes. The only reason to bring SAE is if you have accessories (roof racks, bumpers, whatever) on your Bronco that have SAE fasteners.
  • The largest nut I've encountered on the Bronco so far is 36mm... and that was the wheel axle nut. The smallest was 8mm.
Alright back to stealing ideas. :p

Last edited:

Dmorty217

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camery
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
OP
OP
DangerMTBBronco

DangerMTBBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm still building out my travel tool set myself, so admittedly I don't have a whole lot contribute. BUT... I can contribute something...
  • Everything on the Bronco is metric, they do not use SAE sizes. The only reason to bring SAE is if you have accessories (roof racks, bumpers, whatever) on your Bronco that have SAE fasteners.
  • The largest nut I've encountered on the Bronco so far is 36mm... and that was the wheel axle nut. The smallest was 8mm.
Alright back to stealing ideas. :p
Great info thanks. Leaving the SAE impacts behind.

OP
OP
DangerMTBBronco

DangerMTBBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@Tricky Dick has a nice tie rod repair kit with all the needed tools for a very reasonable price. Also the trickflate is nice to have for a fraction of the price of a on onboard compressor.
https://td-distributing.myshopify.com/
Thanks slready have an on board compressor, icon tie rod upgrades, backup stock tie rods, and tool for that job. Hoping I never need to pull them out. I have seen TrickyDicks kits look solid. Thank you.

Sponsored

Neps

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MX-5, Focus EV, F150, F350, Scout II (2)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Don't forget one of these, with extra plugs (rope).

Ford Bronco Building Essential Tool List for Emergency Trail Repairs 71Zh8bC1WtL._AC_SL1500_

A roll (or three) of this

Ford Bronco Building Essential Tool List for Emergency Trail Repairs 71suM2QorzL._AC_SL1500_

I also carry some permatex gasket sealant, Wire -both electrical and baling, Hose Clamps, Bars Leaks, First Aid Kit, and survival gear.
Fuses and fusible links, electrical cleaner (dryer), Starting fluid. and a couple of flashlights- usually one good one.

Sorry for the huge images :-(

OP
OP
DangerMTBBronco

DangerMTBBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Don't forget one of these, with extra plugs (rope).

Ford Bronco Building Essential Tool List for Emergency Trail Repairs 71suM2QorzL._AC_SL1500_

A roll (or three) of this

I also carry some permatex gasket sealant, Wire -both electrical and baling, Hose Clamps, Bars Leaks, First Aid Kit, and survival gear.
Fuses and fusible links, electrical cleaner (dryer), Starting fluid. and a couple of flashlights- usually one good one.

Sorry for the huge images :-(

Thanks good suggestions.

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'93 4Runner, '84 Vanagon, '93 Miata, '14 LittleGuy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I think you've got it covered pretty well, but I'm definitely interested in seeing what others suggest.

JojoReady

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
ZIP ties

Edit: oops, reading comprehension problem.

maybe add bucket, a tarp and a funnel.

Last edited:

telenerd

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Maybe a portable battery jumpstarter in case you accidentally leave lights or your battery is on the verge of failing.

I’d also recommend an heavy duty saw for removing downed trees along trail or pin stripe branches in tighter sections of trail.

Sponsored

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Maybe a portable battery jumpstarter in case you accidentally leave lights or your battery is on the verge of failing.

I’d also recommend an heavy duty saw for removing downed trees along trail or pin stripe branches in tighter sections of trail.
NOCO GB-70 is a great option.

I never go out without my EGO battery powered chainsaw. It’s helped me clear a bunch of full trees. I also bring an inverter and charger if need be. Oh, and chain oil.

Ford Bronco Building Essential Tool List for Emergency Trail Repairs 7B986174-C5ED-4491-ADC4-AC8316920387

Ford Bronco Building Essential Tool List for Emergency Trail Repairs D1EEE1C8-B4A5-4807-B06E-03B1293780EC

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ll add, it’s good to get a tool roll, as it takes up far less space than some sort of boxy thing and easier to fasten down using straps or less space in a recovery tool kit bag or box.

I’ve got tool sets with both metric and SAE, but as others have pointed out, everything Bronco is metric, but mods may be SAE.

Also and most important, it’s good to have 2 sets of tools or wrenches. The better stuff stays at home in the garage in a tool storage center. The cheap stuff goes in the tool roll because while doing something on a trail, it’s so easy to lose crap. Best to loose or leave that cheap wrench than the fancy one or the Snap On (just don’t!).

My cheap set is Cresent, which isn’t a cheap brand, just they were inherited and maybe 30 years old. My good stuff is Tekton which are tools made in the USA. Impact and ratchet wrenches are Milwaukee. 1/2 and 3/8.

A decent torque wrench is a good investment as well; that’s for the garage.

Reactions: Jdc

Butzy

Base
First Name
Butzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150 & bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

That's a lot of weight to haul around.
Seems like you could remove and install just about anything you aren't also packing. Not an insult, just an observation.

Shifts And Grins Fab

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shiftsandgrinsfabrication.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands, 2022 Bronco Wildtrak Sas
Your Bronco Model