Sponsored

Built in the USA-How important is it for you?

ohvrider

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F-150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Important to me. I bought a Cannodale Motorcycle after 9/11 for same reason.
Sponsored

KyTruckPlant

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Mustang, 05 F150, 08 Expedition EL, 21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I buy what my company builds.

I'm a tradesman that maintains the assembly tooling at the Super Duty and Expedition/Navigator plant, and I can at least tell you that they have engineered the assembly of these vehicles down to a science. We have had our share of engineering mistakes, but I can tell you from a manufacturing standpoint, we do strive to build the best vehicle we can.

Last edited:

FlyingSpaceLlama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Lockheed Blackbird
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
It would be a dealbreaker if it wasn't. I have VERY in-depth firsthand knowledge of how Japanese manufacturing is run and even putting aside the fact that they have a culture of deliberately treating their workers as poorly as possible, the products themselves are engineered to shave off every fraction of a penny in order to make the cheapest product that can still be considered "functional." There's a reason that old American cars become classics and old Japanese cars become soda cans.

Many other countries have similar corporate cultures. Mexican plants treat their workers like garbage and pay them virtually nothing, though that is slowly starting to improve as companies see that as morale goes up so does quality.

The distinction between "employment" and "slavery" in China is virtually none. No wonder their products have the reputation they do.

More companies need to embrace the mantra "Made in America or not at all." If the price goes up a little over foreign products, then people will pay that price for an infinitely better product.

Ford is only successful because of products they make in the USA, even with the drop in quality and the spike in price that comes about as a result of union labor. Imagine how legendary Ford products would be if they were assembled in a state that allowed at-will employment so that union leeches weren't draining 50% or more of their payroll costs with no added value. At least they're assembled in a factory where workers are treated like human beings unlike most foreign companies.

TXJeepScientist

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Toyota Avalon, 08 Honda Civic, 01 Nissan Pathfinder, 10 3T Saab, 94 Jeep Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Built in the USA-How important is it for you?

As all of you know, the new Bronco will be built in Wayne, Michigan USA. (Compared to it’s little sister built in MX)

So, I am curious to know, how important is this fact for all of you?

Is this one of the deciding factors to purchase this vehicle?
This is why I was considering the Jeep Wrangler and Tesla Cybertruck.

Sponsored

dpav02

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Toyota 4Runner Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Boy oh Boy people are going to hate my response.

I generally do not want my vehicle assembled in the united states as the UAW is the most corrupt union in the developed world.

I was a launch engineer - that means I literally lived in the plants doing technical work. The shit I saw union workers get away with day in and day out was incredible. They are not fireable. They borderline would have to murder a man to get canned.

Every single day I watched these dudes get BOMBED in the parking lot and then come into the plant and shittly assemble your vehicle that I assure you was well engineered and designed.

There is zero accountability and that is what leads to most quality issues that customers report.

its bad. very bad.

The plant in Japan that assembles 4runners currently is a gold standard. The one that is going to produce the bronco? Not so much...
I feel the same way. I actually tend to avoid American cars. They're largely trash.

However, I'm taking a chance on the Bronco because it's so damn cool and loaded with tech.

Ford has one chance to convert me. Otherwise, back to boring but reliable Toyota.

dpav02

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Toyota 4Runner Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'd rather have a US made vehicle. My 17' Tacoma is my first foreign vehicle out of 12 vehicles I've owned. I also bought my wife a 17' Audi S3; no US made corresponding vehicle.
Tacoma is produced in the United States though... So it is American made.

OP
OP
Bronco_Mando

Bronco_Mando

Badlands
First Name
Mando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Ranger; MDX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Tacoma is produced in the United States though... So it is American made.
Some Tacoma’s are in San Antonio, others in Mexico.
The San Antonio plant will shift production to MX starting this year.
How can you tell? Check your VIN number, if it starts with a 3, it was assembled in Mexico.

First digit in a VIN:
1, 4, and 5 made in USA;
2, Canada;
3, MX.
J, Japan
K, Korea

Last edited:

Orangeinthebarn

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 z71, 1992 bronco, 1977 F-150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Boy oh Boy people are going to hate my response.

I generally do not want my vehicle assembled in the united states as the UAW is the most corrupt union in the developed world.

I was a launch engineer - that means I literally lived in the plants doing technical work. The shit I saw union workers get away with day in and day out was incredible. They are not fireable. They borderline would have to murder a man to get canned.

Every single day I watched these dudes get BOMBED in the parking lot and then come into the plant and shittly assemble your vehicle that I assure you was well engineered and designed.

There is zero accountability and that is what leads to most quality issues that customers report.

its bad. very bad.

The plant in Japan that assembles 4runners currently is a gold standard. The one that is going to produce the bronco? Not so much...
I agree with Toyota sets a high standard with their production. I like American made trucks. I have purchased Nissan Honda and Toyota vehicles also and they make good stuff too. Bronco is an American Icon. Only suitable that it’s produced in America

EvlNvrDys

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'84 Bronco, '93 Bronco, '94 Bronco, 2012 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

one of the biggest factors for me
Um not trying to be a wise ass..... but....

Ford Bronco Built in the USA-How important is it for you? 1595423373372

piece of junk Korean car? Ok fine, I'm just being a wise ass, I can't lie ?

Sponsored

SamG

Black Diamond
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sas
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If you don’t mind my asking are you planning on buying the Bronco? Or would you recommend something else? I for one was planning on purchasing a 4Runner until I saw the Bronco. For me the 4Runner is proven and has the durability/reliability most competitors idolize; the bench mark. I have reserved the Bronco and want to give Ford a shot but I am gonna make sure the Bronco hits all the marks for me to be able to make a decision. I don’t see myself loosing out if I move on the 4Runner.
I am super late to this response but I would say it depends on what you want

spec for spec (on paper) the bronco will be better - and subjectively more fun

However, I would be willing to bet anyone on this thread that a 4runner bought today will have less measurable issues than a bronco bought in 2021. New models always have issues + the aforementioned assembly issues that I already touched on.

I am still on the fence about getting the Bronco. Love the vehicle but I know that is a chance for issues.

Even when I worked for Ford corporate they wouldn't help me out with my 2018 mustang which had a litany of issues caused by poor assembly (I am looking at you, front fascia)

MadJawa889

Black Diamond
First Name
Aric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I am super late to this response but I would say it depends on what you want

spec for spec (on paper) the bronco will be better - and subjectively more fun

However, I would be willing to bet anyone on this thread that a 4runner bought today will have less measurable issues than a bronco bought in 2021. New models always have issues + the aforementioned assembly issues that I already touched on.

I am still on the fence about getting the Bronco. Love the vehicle but I know that is a chance for issues.

Even when I worked for Ford corporate they wouldn't help me out with my 2018 mustang which had a litany of issues caused by poor assembly (I am looking at you, front fascia)
Awesome input, I kinda like to hear opinions from everyone on both side of the spectrum. I really like the. Bronco but I want to make sure I am going to make the right investment.

Straight 6

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The market is so global now, and even car guys don't know where their vehicles are built

You have guys in Canadian or Mexican built "American" vehicles looking down on people with Indiana or Alabama built "Japanese" vehicles.

Tesla and Honda have more models on this list than most would expect
https://www.cars.com/american-made-index/

I will say my American assembled cars have not been put together as well as my German built ones. Just all kinds of rattles and small stuff that tells me either the American labor didn't care about quality or the American management didn't set their labor up for success. A lot of quality comes down to the manufacturer making the assembly process bulletproof for the folks on the line.

FLSTFI Dave

Raptor
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Grand Sport, Carbon 65, 2017 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
For years the F-150 and Corvette have been top 5 most American content and built in USA. I own both.

Straight 6

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
For years the F-150 and Corvette have been top 5 most American content and built in USA. I own both.
I haven't seen the F150 on the most American list for a few years, I suspect Tesla pushed it out of the top ten (and the new Honda passport too)

Ford does pretty well for American made,
https://www.cars.com/articles/cars-...ex-what-about-the-least-american-cars-422712/

• Tesla: 100.0%
  • Ford: 79.9%
  • Honda: 67.2%
  • Fiat Chrysler Automobiles: 61.2%
  • Industry average: 51.0%
  • Subaru: 50.1%
  • GM: 48.4%
  • BMW: 47.7%
  • Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi: 46.1%
  • Toyota: 43.9%
  • Hyundai-Kia: 37.8%
  • Daimler (Mercedes-Benz): 30.6%