Sponsored

BuiltRight Industries - Cargo Area MOLLE System - Seeking feedback!

BuiltRight Industries

Wildtrak
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.builtrightind.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor, 2020 Gladiator, 2020 Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Alright, the time has finally come to share a bit of this project with you guys. If you aren't familiar with @BuiltRight Industries, have a look at the two threads that I'll link to below for an idea of what we do and check out this page for who we are. We invented (and patented) the MOLLE panel system for the bed of a pickup truck and we've been excited to bring the experience and feedback of tens of thousands of customers to the Bronco platform. I've got a 2dr Big Bend myself, which has been our R&D vehicle for the past month or so. Loving it so far!

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/builtright-industries-innovative-gear-mounting-systems.15443/
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...oduct-development-small-business-style.16269/

Project: Cargo Area MOLLE System for 2dr and 4dr Bronco

Purpose: The goal with this system is to offer a modular way to mount tools, gear, accessories and so on in the cargo area of your Bronco. We want the panels to be easy to install and unobtrusive when it comes to using the cargo area for other purposes. The panels must be strong enough to support the weight of heavier items, like an ARB compressor or recovery gear. The goal is to make use of otherwise unusable space in order to keep your cargo area clear for other gear.

Background: I had typed out a long story here but decided to just keep it simple. Ford reached out in 2019 asking us to design MOLLE panels for the Bronco. Excited by the opportunity (but taking care to protect our best ideas), we met virtually and in person a number of times, reviewing Ford objectives, Bronco models and so on. We developed some concepts, shared rough details and manufacturing costs before it was made clear to us that we'd need to sacrifice our quality and manufacturing standards in order to meet price targets. I expressed concern and that was basically the end of that. Fast forward and the dealer catalog shows some MOLLE panel products that are nearly identical to my sketches. Luckily, we didn't share actual CAD models and I'm a terrible artist :LOL:. That being said, by now you've all seen the quality (or lack of) being demonstrated there, so we're even more excited to share what we've been working on.

We're damn close, but would love some feedback or to hear your ideas before we proceed to production and get these ready for you. We've been tight lipped until now, knowing that copycats won't be far behind, but I can't stand to bring a product like this to market without feedback from my fellow enthusiasts that might improve the product and its usefulness!

Process: With every project, we begin by collecting 3D data from the vehicle. In this case, I had the opportunity to fly out to the SEMA Garage in California with my scanner and 3D scan a 3dr and 4dr badlands for about 6hrs. This gave us what we needed to begin designing so that when our R&D vehicles arrived, we'd be able to hit the ground running. From there, we produce prototypes, test, break, revise, produce again, test again and so on. Being a very small business, we have the freedom to experiment and refine the product without 'bean counters' breathing down our necks to cut costs or speed up development. The result of both of those things can be seen in a lot of the 'first to market' products that have been shipping, in our opinion.

Ford Bronco BuiltRight Industries - Cargo Area MOLLE System - Seeking feedback! bronco_molle_panels_7.JPG

Features (we can add to this based on the discussion):
  • No-drill installation, easily completed with basic hand tools
  • Compatible with top-on and topless driving
  • Does not impact factory tie downs of their ability to lay flat
  • Does not negatively impact storage capacity of cargo area
  • Solid steel construction with factory fit and finish
  • Provisions for attaching a cargo basket that doubles as security lid

We'd like your help! We've already been through a few iterations here and I'm very happy with the mounting and installation procedure (no drilling being a primary requirement). I'm just going to share a few photos of my 2dr below to get the juice flowing and kick off the conversation. Would love to hear from you guys regarding thoughts, concerns, feedback, ideas, how you'd use panels like this and so on. Keep in mind that these panels are really a 'blank canvas' and will be used as a platform for a host of other mounts and accessories that we've been working on (cargo trays, etc).

I'll respond to every single comment in this thread and will be keeping a list of people that indicate that they're interested (something like "I'm in!" works) so that we can circle back when pre-orders are live.

Matt Beenen
Engineering

Ford Bronco BuiltRight Industries - Cargo Area MOLLE System - Seeking feedback! bronco_molle_panels_4

Ford Bronco BuiltRight Industries - Cargo Area MOLLE System - Seeking feedback! bronco_molle_panels_1

Ford Bronco BuiltRight Industries - Cargo Area MOLLE System - Seeking feedback! bronco_molle_panels_5

Ford Bronco BuiltRight Industries - Cargo Area MOLLE System - Seeking feedback! bronco_molle_panels_6
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
BuiltRight Industries

BuiltRight Industries

Wildtrak
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.builtrightind.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Reserved for future updates!

Bronco21fan

Black Diamond
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco black diamond 2 door Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Alright, the time has finally come to share a bit of this project with you guys. If you aren't familiar with @BuiltRight Industries, have a look at the two threads that I'll link to below for an idea of what we do and check out this page for who we are. We invented (and patented) the MOLLE panel system for the bed of a pickup truck and we've been excited to bring the experience and feedback of tens of thousands of customers to the Bronco platform. I've got a 2dr Big Bend myself, which has been our R&D vehicle for the past month or so. Loving it so far!

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/builtright-industries-innovative-gear-mounting-systems.15443/
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...oduct-development-small-business-style.16269/

Project: Cargo Area MOLLE System for 2dr and 4dr Bronco

Purpose: The goal with this system is to offer a modular way to mount tools, gear, accessories and so on in the cargo area of your Bronco. We want the panels to be easy to install and unobtrusive when it comes to using the cargo area for other purposes. The panels must be strong enough to support the weight of heavier items, like an ARB compressor or recovery gear. The goal is to make use of otherwise unusable space in order to keep your cargo area clear for other gear.

Background: I had typed out a long story here but decided to just keep it simple. Ford reached out in 2019 asking us to design MOLLE panels for the Bronco. Excited by the opportunity (but taking care to protect our best ideas), we met virtually and in person a number of times, reviewing Ford objectives, Bronco models and so on. We developed some concepts, shared rough details and manufacturing costs before it was made clear to us that we'd need to sacrifice our quality and manufacturing standards in order to meet price targets. I expressed concern and that was basically the end of that. Fast forward and the dealer catalog shows some MOLLE panel products that are nearly identical to my sketches. Luckily, we didn't share actual CAD models and I'm a terrible artist :LOL:. That being said, by now you've all seen the quality (or lack of) being demonstrated there, so we're even more excited to share what we've been working on.

We're damn close, but would love some feedback or to hear your ideas before we proceed to production and get these ready for you. We've been tight lipped until now, knowing that copycats won't be far behind, but I can't stand to bring a product like this to market without feedback from my fellow enthusiasts that might improve the product and its usefulness!

Process: With every project, we begin by collecting 3D data from the vehicle. In this case, I had the opportunity to fly out to the SEMA Garage in California with my scanner and 3D scan a 3dr and 4dr badlands for about 6hrs. This gave us what we needed to begin designing so that when our R&D vehicles arrived, we'd be able to hit the ground running. From there, we produce prototypes, test, break, revise, produce again, test again and so on. Being a very small business, we have the freedom to experiment and refine the product without 'bean counters' breathing down our necks to cut costs or speed up development. The result of both of those things can be seen in a lot of the 'first to market' products that have been shipping, in our opinion.

Ford Bronco BuiltRight Industries - Cargo Area MOLLE System - Seeking feedback! bronco_molle_panels_6

Features (we can add to this based on the discussion):
  • No-drill installation, easily completed with basic hand tools
  • Compatible with top-on and topless driving
  • Does not impact factory tie downs of their ability to lay flat
  • Does not negatively impact storage capacity of cargo area
  • Solid steel construction with factory fit and finish

We'd like your help! We've already been through a few iterations here and I'm very happy with the mounting and installation procedure (no drilling being a primary requirement). I'm just going to share a few photos of my 2dr below to get the juice flowing and kick off the conversation. Would love to hear from you guys regarding thoughts, concerns, feedback, ideas, how you'd use panels like this and so on. Keep in mind that these panels are really a 'blank canvas' and will be used as a platform for a host of other mounts and accessories that we've been working on (cargo trays, etc).

I'll respond to every single comment in this thread and will be keeping a list of people that indicate that they're interested (something like "I'm in!" works) so that we can circle back when pre-orders are live.

Matt Beenen
Engineering

Wow that came out great and looks amazing well done

bigblueboing

Black Diamond
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
IM IN!!
Awesome stuff
I for one will wait for your products. And not the cheap knockoffs sure to be on amazont
maybe a rear hatch panel too?
One suggestion maybe the panel can extend all the way to the rear because some of the panel will be unusable with the seat up.

just noticed the full racing seat !!

Last edited:
OP
OP
BuiltRight Industries

BuiltRight Industries

Wildtrak
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.builtrightind.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Wow that came out great and looks amazing well done
Thank you!
Awesome stuff
I for one will wait for your products. And not the cheap knockoffs sure to be on amazont
maybe a rear hatch panel too?
Thanks for the feedback! Yes, definitely a rear hatch panel as well. That'll be a separate thread, I think. I bought the factory catalog rear molle table thing and am so disappointed that I can't bring myself to install it. We have a universal side MOLLE plate that we already sell that just needs some clean mounting brackets. Otherwise will make awesome table-like solutions as well, I'm sure - I just want a mounting plate.

Matt

Sponsored

Greener

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1960 VW Double Cab
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Those panels look great! At some point, I'll get my vehicle and your product will be on my upgrade list. I especially like the way the panels seem to conform to the interior dimensions, which I would hope would allow the doors to still be stored in the back (on the 4-door and with no gear hanging off).

Just a thought to explore...The Ford rear security enclosure looks awkward to install/uninstall and use. You might think of Front, Top, Back panels that quickly hook into maybe the Keymod-looking small slots, so that we can "secure" gear/cargo in this open-back vehicle.

Good luck with the product!

FJ 432

Badlands
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I currently am waiting for a 2 door modular top badlands that will be MY2023.

Have you considered a MOLLE system attached to the Boron roll cage (so in the area that will be the removeable glass) higher up on the sides?

JTBros

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GR Corolla
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I need to know what's going on with that drivers seat. Looks like the first I've seen that's aftermarket.

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm in, please keep me posted. Very handy product.

Bjj101

Outer Banks
First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco OBX, 2020 Lexus RX450
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Nice, very nice! Count me in!

Sponsored

LSU Jonno

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm in!

It looks like one of these panels would cover the subwoofer from the LUX package. Any idea how this install would rattle?

stras27

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes, well done. Could you also put a removeable cover on it too which would give it security in the back if riding naked and the ability to store on top and underneath the panel. I like how thin the mettle is and doesn't take away from the storage space.

To expand. Add a separate top cover that can connect and disconnect when needed to the side panels (with a key or lock) that is fitted from the rear seats to the truck door. It would have the ability to tie down on the top of the panel and store underneath the panel inside of the security area. This would create additional surface area, security, and modularity that could be customized.

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
On my watch list - thanks.

The Molle mount for the compressor caught my eye. I’d like to put that on the rear door Molle panel.

codydb19

Big Bend
First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Just a thought to explore...The Ford rear security enclosure looks awkward to install/uninstall and use. You might think of Front, Top, Back panels that quickly hook into maybe the Keymod-looking small slots, so that we can "secure" gear/cargo in this open-back vehicle.
I know it’s a little “out of the wheelhouse”, but I second this!

After watching that video of the Tuffy cargo enclosure I am... less than impressed... to put it nicely. I was hoping for a smoother/easier passthrough for when I need to put longer items in. I also don’t need something impossible to break into, just something to deter idle hands from reaching in and grabbing. If BuiltRight can design something better and simpler, then take my money.

mtap

Black Diamond
First Name
Mervin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra, Hummer H3, Harley Sportster
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Following!!