First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
67 Bronco,75 F250 CS,88 M35a2c,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Same fried electrical odor the first time I used the rear defroster. Since then no more odor. But was pretty paranoid for a bit.
Sponsored

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Same fried electrical odor the first time I used the rear defroster. Since then no more odor. But was pretty paranoid for a bit.
That's an interesting point, as my rear defrogger comes on automatically when remote starting.

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have the same issue. Happens with remote start or normal start, but the common denominator is that it's cold out, and I let it warm up for 10 minutes.

Looking around the interwebs, it looks like Maverick owners also have this issue, and they don't know the cause either. One guy had a glowing red cat converter, so the theory was a rich fuel mixture dumping fuel into the converter. But not everyone has that glowing red converter, so another hypothesis is something to do with the booster heater.

"Electric Booster Heater Operation

The electric booster heater ensures that the passenger compartment can be quickly warmed up when ambient temperatures are low. It is a heater element made up of ceramic resistors that is mounted in the climate control housing. It directly heats the airflow into the passenger compartment rapidly in the case of low ambient temperatures. "

Maverick Forum Thread

The saddest part is I never got my new car smell phase. I have 53 miles on the car and it smells like burnt cloth inside.
Does the Bronco have an electric heater?
As for the catalytic glowing, it's not from dumping a rich mixture thru it.
There is an air pump that runs on cold starts to get more oxygen to the cat to get it to heat up (and work) quicker. Has nothing to do with warming up the engine 👍🏻

Sven

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
67 Bronco,75 F250 CS,88 M35a2c,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That's an interesting point, as my rear defrogger comes on automatically when remote starting.
That was my first remote start experience. Since then no more stink.

Sponsored

ameration

Wildtrak
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting: Bronco 4-Door Wildtrak & 2-Door Base
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I sure did! I love those guys, worked with Curt on mine. Glad to see they’re getting more delivered!
Curt has been my guy at Preston for years.

We will have to meet up sometime coming up so my son can see and touch a BaseSquatch in person.

IceSoldier88

Badlands
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I picked up a 22 BB this past weekend. It was 1 degree out, started my bronco. And when I went out after about 10 minutes it smell like burning. Glad to hear it seems like it’s a normal thing.

MacBrown73

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BroncoSport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I’m currently driving a Bronco Sport while waiting for our OBX order and the very same thing happened to me. Eventually the smell went away after a few days. Only months later did I realize what (I believe) the issue was…my rear defroster. Wonder if big brother has the same issue.
Ford Bronco Burning electrical smell coming from HVAC 784B2890-D5DB-4652-B075-C5DE72B6AE49

RUBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 OBX 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The burnt smell is now gone - and the new car smell has returned.

Definitely wasn't the rear defroster since I have a soft top.

Sponsored

Romano

Badlands
First Name
Roman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bmw/Honda/Ford
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hi there! Please send us a private message with your VIN and the name & location of your Ford dealership, along with some more details about your situation. I’ll look into this for you. Thanks!
Keep an eye on defrost solders on rear window. Those have been burning up too.

Detroit0486

First Edition
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SVT Lightning, Audi S7
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I have a similar issue that I had my dealer look at in January but they couldn't find anything. Mine happens every time I get off the highway or drive at speeds above around 50MPH for say 10-15+ minutes, and even with 5,600 miles it still happens so it's going in again at the end of the month. I've never had any smell come through after I utilize the remote start though.

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m currently driving a Bronco Sport while waiting for our OBX order and the very same thing happened to me. Eventually the smell went away after a few days. Only months later did I realize what (I believe) the issue was…my rear defroster. Wonder if big brother has the same issue.
Ford Bronco Burning electrical smell coming from HVAC 784B2890-D5DB-4652-B075-C5DE72B6AE49
I don't see anything wrong here...
And is this a Sport??