Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’ve never reserved a new model like this. I typically shop around and have patience to get the best deal possible through research, leverage, and patience. This won’t be the case for the new Bronco. I’ve never leased either.
Will we get better pricing by having a reservation or would waiting a year or two allow more buying power? In other words, will brand new Broncos on the lots 2 years from now have more or less markups that the reserved ones today? Leasing the reserved one may make the most sense in this case due to bugs that may need to be worked out. Thoughts?
Sponsored

dpav02

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Toyota 4Runner Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ve never reserved a new model like this. I typically shop around and have patience to get the best deal possible through research, leverage, and patience. This won’t be the case for the new Bronco. I’ve never leased either.
Will we get better pricing by having a reservation or would waiting a year or two allow more buying power? In other words, will brand new Broncos on the lots 2 years from now have more or less markups that the reserved ones today? Leasing the reserved one may make the most sense in this case due to bugs that may need to be worked out. Thoughts?
I think there are too many factors to possibly know that...

1) Is COVID still a big issue and our economy gets even worse?

2) Did Ford have any major manufacturing defects and the first model year is riddled with serious issues?

3) Basically the opposite of 2. Did Ford completely knock it out of the park and the Broncos become even more popular?

4) What if there's a major war and gas prices spike to like $8 per gallon? SUVs are suddenly uncool again and everyone now wants an electric vehicle?

5) What if this is such a niche vehicle that anybody who wanted one got it in the first year? Ford can't move them so they have to slash prices to get them off of the lots.

In general though, my 2 cents is if you can wait, I'd say wait. Eventually the demand will cool and prices will come down and the product will probably be improved.

Will that happen in 2 years or 4 is the question.

Again, just my 2 cents but I could see this being a hot vehicle for 2 or 3 years until you can get some decent deals barring a crazy spike in gas prices or the economy getting much worse than it already is.

ccsami4x4

Black Diamond
First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GX470, Evoque
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
For a lease, the first production run can offer a sweet spot as the finance companies might overestimate the future value (such was the case with the Jeep Gladiator where they greatly overestimated the vehicle's future worth and some folks got smoking hot lease deals before the lenders lowered the RV). The catch is that some manufacturers would prefer you buy, so they won't make the lease as attractive (think higher MF and RV which equals a poor lease).

There's no question the price will be highest when first released...this is a highly anticipated vehicle and the "keeping up with the Joneses" folks are going to happily pay whatever their local dealer wants for it. That said, there's no reason you cannot do your research and know what the costs are upfront, as well as find out what the MF and RV are as soon as it's released (which is what you need to calculate the lease price).

The first model run tends to have the most kinks, so your thinking on leasing vs. buying has some merit. Either way, you'd be covered by the warranty and they should have all the bugs worked out before the factory warranty expires (unless you drive 36k miles per year...in which case you really need to buy a Prius or something instead of a Bronco).

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have leased every one of my cars, and always have two leases on rotation. I do NOT like the idea of buying given limited mileage needs. However, I dont think we have an option here. Generally, Fords have HORRIBLE leases, and as a new model, this will be even worse. I am buying - which says a lot because I will probably average 5-7.5k miles a year per car.

I think a good lease is $100/mo per $10k (with taxes and down payment rolled into your monthly). I DOUBT a $50k bronco will be $500/mo. It may be closer to $700 if you roll in those items.

My last two cars included a search for a Ford Edge
Car 1 - Volvo S60 T6 ($49k sticker), leased for $339/mo with tax and fees out of pocket (no down payment) 7.5k/year
Car 2 - $41k Outback, leased for $335/mo with tax and fees out of pocket (no down payment) 10k/year
Quote on a $43k Ford Edge - $490 with tax and fees out of pocket (no down payment)

This is largely due to poor Ford residuals. While i think the Bronco is an outlier, and will have a really strong residiaul, it wont be calculated that way. Or they will jack up the money factor. Even a Wrangler has a proven 70% residual, but the Jeep dealers certainly dont calc their leases that way.

So you could either lease a Bronco and drastically overpay (given the lease is running off a lower residual than what it likely will be in reality), or you could purchase and actually have a good residual that saves you money, not the dealer.

So for the first time, i am buying...the bronco...Besides, i've already convinced the wife, and dont want her to tell me to get rid of it in 3 years after the lease because the kids are not safe enough, or the rear AC is possibly non existent, or their isnt enough cargo room etc. etc. So she said yes, reservation has been made, and now I am buying and keeping for 10 years which is worth it's weight in gold muahaha

Last edited:

Jp215

Outer Banks
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I intend to trade in my f150 and lease the bronco that way by the time the 2 or 3 year lease is up I’m not trapped with it if I end up not liking it

Sponsored

ScientistNK

Big Bend
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
How does the x-plan work if you were to lease the bronco? Would it be cheaper monthly payments?

Cooknn

Badlands
First Name
David Cook
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'll be 61 years old when I take delivery. Gonna put down as much as I can and trade in my ’15 Focus Titanium. I could go 60 months and have it paid off well before I retire. Then I drive my ’21 Bronco for the rest of my days. No payments. That's the plan anyways.

thehermdawg10

Base
First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma, 1985 Toyota Corolla GTS
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Ford leases have always been pretty poor, I'd say it would be better to buy. Or if you want to wait and maybe get the deal, then have at it.

Hardhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Jeep Wrangler, 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Sign up mustang club of america and get an x plan pin, Then you dont have to haggle with the dealer on price of the bronco. $25 well spent IMHO

Last edited:

Fuzion2Bronco

Base
First Name
Asher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I was having the same Question lingering in my mind, whether I could even Lease the Bronco if I Reserve one. I have leased around 4 Cars so far the present one being the 2020 Fusion SE. Very much interested in Bronco Base w/Sasquatch Pkg, which would be within my Budget if I could Lease it and Not Finance it.

I guess there are people in this Forum has done it before, looking for some suggestions. I watched TFL Podcast on Bronco yesterday night and Roman was saying that to Find a Base Bronco would become nearly impossible at Dealer Lots as no one would keep it and would only have other Trims as they make more volume sales.

Thinking about Reserving one before it Stops but had this doubt whether I could Lease my Reservation at all.

Sponsored

CT-Man

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Multiple
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
This is a tricky one. I've never leased a car because it is ALWAYS more cost effective to buy if you are willing to keep the car for 5-8 years. If you don't care about money, sure, then leasing the car is great --- you get a new car every few years.

Anyway.... I'm a little nervous with the Bronco because I feel like first year models often run into issues. Yes, they'll fix them, but I'm considering leasing and then maybe buying in three years (buying the latest model, not the lease). I dunno. Tough call.

FLSTFI Dave

Raptor
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Grand Sport, Carbon 65, 2017 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I have never leased, numbers do not ever seem to work for me. I plan to buy. Not to worried about a first year vehicle in this case. The 2.7 has been used in the F-50 for quite awhile and people seem to like them. The first year 10 speed auto is in my F-50. Its has the 3.5 Eco boost so the 10 speed should be fine with a lighter vehicle and a less powerful engine.

ATXGuy

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RSQ8
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Leasing numbers never work out for me. I plan on buying the Bronco cash or finance at 0% if they have it and it is a true 0%.

I figure demand will be high on the Bronco and I could sell after 2 years without significant depreciation.

bobbleheadguru

Base
First Name
Farris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

It was eye opening to me to see how good residual values are on Jeep Wranglers.

If I get the base model for 4 years and the car depreciates from $30K (base model) down to $18K... it is better to buy than lease (assuming low interest rate or cash).

My dealer sales guy guessed that the lease rates would be $350-400 (similar to a Mustang), but was not too definitive.
Sponsored