Bronco#2

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SD tremor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m on the fence here. Like everyone else, I’m waiting on my 2.7, hardtop, badlands. I found a 2.3, MT, soft top badlands at a couple thousand over sticker. I’m considering buying the 2.3, mt, soft top and trading it in when my order is finally built.
Should I remain patient or buy something I don’t want to buy me a little more time?

thanks for your thoughts
Sponsored

Wannabe Techie

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I have a 2.3L and it is solid. I was like you… I ended up buying it and haven’t regretted it. Had all summer with the top down and loved it all. YOLO!

I’m sure some will say you won’t lose money on it or it’s a great deal, but you never really know. The good news is you can always say no if your order comes in. So I don’t think there is a ton of risk for you at this point.

MnLakeBum

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Range Rover Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
For me it was well worth it to buy a second Bronco(soft top/lux/obx/2.7L) while I wait for my MIC top Sasquatch first week reservation that still doesn’t have a VIN. I bought it at MSRP and dumped $3k on wheels/tires and a leveling kit so a couple thousand over sticker is not bad considering what they should still be worth a year from now. I’ve been driving it since mid April and by the time my MIC top one arrives I could have 25,000 miles on it as we are averaging 2,000 miles each month.

Ford Bronco Buy now or keep waiting 533FFE9A-C9B4-4A6B-9CB1-6F7FA6FA0356
Ford Bronco Buy now or keep waiting E2CC8AAA-715E-48C7-B36D-833A5FB3F332

buck_6G

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Are you in need of a daily driver right now, or just bored and anxious waiting for your order?

I have one order being built on Wednesday, and my first order is still unscheduled - they're identical apart from the in production unit being a 2.3. I'm thinking of taking the second order and selling it back to Ford, but I'd advise anyone considering this to keep a very close eye on the following:

1. Used SUV prices (Cargurus has a good price index)
2. Used vehicle prices across the board (again, CG had a good index for this as well)
3. Repossession volume (lags borrowing rate hikes, causing a delayed softening of some used vehicle prices)
4. Bronco production volume (likely to remain constrained; Ford will not be accepting new orders for MY2023 until they've caught up on existing reservation production)

It's impossible to predict what your valuation will be in the future given the amount of uncertainty that precludes straight-lining your depreciation/appreciation. Knowing what you're trying to solve for will help the members here give you the right advice.

My personal take, if you're just anxious to get into a Bronco, is to not risk a large sum on something you know isn't what you want, when so much uncertainty exists - but I have a low tolerance for risk, so my approach may be right for me, and wrong for someone who isn't as concerned about losing money and stressing over the logistics of turning a profit; I'm happy with either of my builds, and placed my in production order in March to hedge my bets with different dealer allocations.

TheShark

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 4DR Wildtrak, 2023 Maverick XLT FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I think only you can answer that question. I certainly wouldn't buy something you don't want. I bought a '21 2dr OBX last year while waiting on my 2dr 2.7 Badlands Lux build. Got it for MSRP so I couldn't pass that up. It was just a standard OBX and the only option was the 4.27 locking rear. I'm not sorry buying it because I'm still waiting on the order which I'm sure will be pushed to '23 and I've really enjoyed all the adventures in the OBX.

Sponsored

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Basically comes down to "how bad is your current vehicle?"

Mine is only 15 years old, (2007 Expy) so it's not that big a deal to keep driving it. I just hate driving it because it's an automatic, and way bigger than I like.

On the other hand, it desperately needs new tires, and I'm not about to drop $1500 on tires for a car I plan to get rid of, so the sooner my Bronco gets here the better.

Honestly though, I'd much rather have the 7MT with the 2.3 than the 2.7 with the Auto, because Stick > Auto always and forever.

Squishy-top, really depends on your preference. In Luisiana, I expect you might have the top down a lot, and the soft top is a lot more convenient to put down, even if it doesn't actually go down all the way like a proper soft top (e.g. Mustang)

Costs you nothing to go test drive it though.

OP
OP

Bronco#2

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SD tremor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Are you in need of a daily driver right now, or just bored and anxious waiting for your order?

I have one order being built on Wednesday, and my first order is still unscheduled - they're identical apart from the in production unit being a 2.3. I'm thinking of taking the second order and selling it back to Ford, but I'd advise anyone considering this to keep a very close eye on the following:

2. Used vehicle prices across the board (again, CG had a good index for this as well)
3. Repossession volume (lags borrowing rate hikes, causing a delayed softening of some used vehicle prices)
4. Bronco production volume (likely to remain constrained; Ford will not be accepting new orders for MY2023 until they've caught up on existing reservation production)

It's impossible to predict what your valuation will be in the future given the amount of uncertainty that precludes straight-lining your depreciation/appreciation. Knowing what you're trying to solve for will help the members here give you the right advice.

My personal take, if you're just anxious to get into a Bronco, is to not risk a large sum on something you know isn't what you want, when so much uncertainty exists - but I have a low tolerance for risk, so my approach may be right for me, and wrong for someone who isn't as concerned about losing money and stressing over the logistics of turning a profit; I'm happy with either of my builds, and placed my in production order in March to hedge my bets with different dealer allocations.
I’m just anxious, and don’t mind if I go $5k the wrong way, but with the pricing I’m seeing on lots I’ll probably make money when I sell it.

OP
OP

Bronco#2

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SD tremor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Basically comes down to "how bad is your current vehicle?"

Mine is only 15 years old, (2007 Expy) so it's not that big a deal to keep driving it. I just hate driving it because it's an automatic, and way bigger than I like.

On the other hand, it desperately needs new tires, and I'm not about to drop $1500 on tires for a car I plan to get rid of, so the sooner my Bronco gets here the better.

Honestly though, I'd much rather have the 7MT with the 2.3 than the 2.7 with the Auto, because Stick > Auto always and forever.

Squishy-top, really depends on your preference. In Luisiana, I expect you might have the top down a lot, and the soft top is a lot more convenient to put down, even if it doesn't actually go down all the way like a proper soft top (e.g. Mustang)

Costs you nothing to go test drive it though.
I’m not needing a vehicle I have a couple extra right now. This is just a toy and I’m getting impatient waiting on my build

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I’m not needing a vehicle I have a couple extra right now. This is just a toy and I’m getting impatient waiting on my build
No reason to compromise on a toy. Wait for what you really want. Future residual value is... unpredictable at best.

Plus, if you are holding on to it in anticipation of trading it, how much serious playing will you do with it? If I am holding onto a vehicle for 10-20 years, I really don't give a damn about a mesquite tree pinstriping the entire side, I'd be extra cautious in something I wanted to keep nice to trade.

Sponsored

M4Madness

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Base
No reason to compromise on a toy. Wait for what you really want. Future residual value is... unpredictable at best.

Plus, if you are holding on to it in anticipation of trading it, how much serious playing will you do with it? If I am holding onto a vehicle for 10-20 years, I really don't give a damn about a mesquite tree pinstriping the entire side, I'd be extra cautious in something I wanted to keep nice to trade.
Great words of advice here.

To the OP, buy it, then your other order will probably be scheduled next Thursday. LOL!

OP
OP

Bronco#2

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SD tremor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Great words of advice here.

To the OP, buy it, then your other order will probably be scheduled next Thursday. LOL!
If I knew I’d be trading it in less than a year, I’d probably beat the crap out of it.
maybe not???

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

💯
I hedged my bets
I was willing to pay adm of 2000-4000 for only what I wanted because I knew I would see minimum 2000 increase (2022 job 1-2) and who knows what 2023 changes
Sponsored