Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2.7 BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hey all, first post but steady lurker, I have a July reservation and plan on ordering, super excited! Problem is wife and I only have little 4 door sedans and after going mudding in our friends 4runner this past weekend we've got the itch to get out there asap

I'm searching for somewhat cost-effective options for getting a 4x4 to use for now, then switching to the bronco on delivery, some things I've thought of so far are:

- rent 4x4 with turo/rental agency each time we want to go out on weekends
- buy a super cheap used 4x4, hope it doesn't crap out and leave us stranded
- buy a slightly used 4runner and rely on strong resale value to come up mostly net-neutral (minus fees and taxes) when trading in for bronco (or private sale)

Obviously some pros/cons with each, but I'm curious if anyone else is in a similar boat or has suggestions?

In PNW if that matters any

Thanks!
Sponsored

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

- buy a slightly used 4runner and rely on strong resale value to come up mostly net-neutral (minus fees and taxes) when trading in for bronco (or private sale)
This is your answer.

Play it right and you could probably get your fees and taxes back when you sell it.

Fordboi

Badlands
First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Ford Ranchero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey all, first post but steady lurker, I have a July reservation and plan on ordering, super excited! Problem is wife and I only have little 4 door sedans and after going mudding in our friends 4runner this past weekend we've got the itch to get out there asap

I'm searching for somewhat cost-effective options for getting a 4x4 to use for now, then switching to the bronco on delivery, some things I've thought of so far are:

Obviously some pros/cons with each, but I'm curious if anyone else is in a similar boat or has suggestions?

Thanks!
i would go with the 4runner just because of the strong resale value. also, @JAGSarge you have work to do

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Man, I had exact same idea a week or two back when the Outback gave me a scare.

Prior to reading the replys I was thinking "Maaaaybe the 4runner route like I was thnking...."

Good to know we both were looking down a similar path and others found merit in it.

I'd also add a crew Tacoma to the list for all the same reasons.

Sponsored

jonwithanelcamino

Black Diamond
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
El Camino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thanks!
Easy. Get one that’s already depreciated and can expect to sell close to what your bought it for.

I bought an manual Audi for $10k that I actually may end of keeping. But the plan was to sell it for the same in a year.

andi

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
-
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Thanks!
get a hummer for 8k

Fordboi

Badlands
First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Ford Ranchero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Easy. Get one that’s already depreciated and can expect to sell close to what your bought it for.

I bought an manual Audi for $10k that I actually may end of keeping. But the plan was to sell it for the same in a year.
^^^what he said. this is a great idea

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Get an old Jeep Cherokee. Drive it for a year and sell it for what you paid for it.

Sponsored

aplm7

Wildtrak
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Wildtrak 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I am in the exact same situation. I have 3 separate trips I could take between now and July and need to decide on rental or what. And all 3 of the trips are with other Toyotas...so capabilities would be just right. The new 4runner has some really great tech inside and I'm tempted, except the transmission and engine.

OP
OP

esquared

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2.7 BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Man, I had exact same idea a week or two back when the Outback gave me a scare.

Prior to reading the replys I was thinking "Maaaaybe the 4runner route like I was thnking...."

Good to know we both were looking down a similar path and others found merit in it.

I'd also add a crew Tacoma to the list for all the same reasons.
My buddy started building his raptor up for overlanding so I have started looking at truck options as well, taco, raptor, zr2...

I am in the exact same situation. I have 3 separate trips I could take between now and July and need to decide on rental or what. And all 3 of the trips are with other Toyotas...so capabilities would be just right. The new 4runner has some really great tech inside and I'm tempted, except the transmission and engine.
Coming from my Mz3 (only car in life), the 4runner was decently peppy, for sure could use a bit more umf though (plus it burns quite a few dinosaurs). We tested a '17 + '21 4runner and agreed, the updates are quite nice!

Rednek

Black Diamond
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco BD/2023 Maverick XLT/02 F150/68 Torino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

buy a 4x4 truck,it will be a good second for the Bronco so you can haul stuff,(I'm keeping my 12 superduty for this reason)

OP
OP

esquared

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2.7 BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

buy a 4x4 truck,it will be a good second for the Bronco so you can haul stuff,(I'm keeping my 12 superduty for this reason)
If I wasn't in an apartment complex with limited parking I would probably go this route (and probably will once we get a proper house w/ land). The test 4runner barely fit into my existing spot, so sasquatch bronco likely wont...that's my other dilema :)
Sponsored