Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Background: We rented a Wrangler on vacation earlier this year and I loved the way it drove but my wife wasn’t thrilled. Shortly thereafter the Bronco was unveiled and I had eagerly been following it for a couple years. I test drove a new Ford Explorer ST a couple weeks ago to see how an Ecoboost handles. I know the 3.0 and the transmission in the ST is not 100% comparable to the Bronco but I’ve never had an experience with a turbo 6 before. I love the idea of more space and practicality of the Explorer but the Bronco has more swagger. Does it make sense to buy something that’s less practical for the same or more $$?

Now to my question:
I had planned on getting a Badlands Bronco that came out to ~$54k but I’m not sure the Bronco is the right choice for us. So I’m thinking of going Black Diamond Sasquatch (~$49k) and saving the difference. That would make me more comfortable with potentially trading the Bronco after a year or so if we decide the vehicle isn’t for us because I’ve hedged $5k in depreciation.

What do you guys think?
Sponsored

broncosor

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think that you won't save 5K in depreciation.
If anything the Badlands might depreciate less over a year than the less popular BD and you could end up with less money loss overall.
Just get the trim you want.

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Try the Ranger for the 2.3 and the 2.7 in the F150. That should give you a rough "power/feel" estimate. The Ranger should also give you the side to side interior dimensions too. Front to back, maybe the Explorer is fairly accurate.

OP
OP

Ksm

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I think that you won't save 5K in depreciation.
If anything the Badlands might depreciate less over a year than the less popular BD and you could end up with less money loss overall.
Just get the trim you want.
my point is that I’d have $5k cash to absorb whatever I’d lose in value. Not necessarily less depreciation but more as a safety cushion

jclaypool83

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, 6.7L 2500 RAM, FOCUS RS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Background: We rented a Wrangler on vacation earlier this year and I loved the way it drove but my wife wasn’t thrilled. Shortly thereafter the Bronco was unveiled and I had eagerly been following it for a couple years. I test drove a new Ford Explorer ST a couple weeks ago to see how an Ecoboost handles. I know the 3.0 and the transmission in the ST is not 100% comparable to the Bronco but I’ve never had an experience with a turbo 6 before. I love the idea of more space and practicality of the Explorer but the Bronco has more swagger. Does it make sense to buy something that’s less practical for the same or more $$?

Now to my question:
I had planned on getting a Badlands Bronco that came out to ~$54k but I’m not sure the Bronco is the right choice for us. So I’m thinking of going Black Diamond Sasquatch (~$49k) and saving the difference. That would make me more comfortable with potentially trading the Bronco after a year or so if we decide the vehicle isn’t for us because I’ve hedged $5k in depreciation.

What do you guys think?
I'm going back and forth as well.

The Black Diamond you will lose the
1.signature headlights,
2.upgraded grill,
3.Baja Goat mode,
4.Sway bar disconnect,
5.High level gauge cluster.
6. Orange interior highlights

these are the only major difference i can see if you are building sasquatch on both of them.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Who are you buying for? Yourself or to impress your friends (swagger).
Sounds like the Exploder is the right vehicle for you ....trimmed out right some of them are sharp as F*CK! Works best for you/still has swagger.

Will you realistically ever offroad it to places you can't take the Explorer?

LOL, probably tows more to boot!

(LMAO, it does, 5000 to 5600lbs depending on model ...Bronco 3500lbs)

Last edited:
OP
OP

Ksm

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I'm going back and forth as well.

The Black Diamond you will lose the
1.signature headlights,
2.upgraded grill,
3.Baja Goat mode,
4.Sway bar disconnect,
5.High level gauge cluster.
6. Orange interior highlights

these are the only major difference i can see if you are building sasquatch on both of them.
honestly, I wouldn’t miss any of those. I like the non-sig headlights and the BD grill better anyways. Don’t have use for your other points either. My reason for Badlands was to be able to get the high package.

OP
OP

Ksm

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Who are you buying for? Yourself or to impress your friends (swagger).
Sounds like the Exploder is the right vehicle for you ....trimmed out right some of them are sharp as F*CK! Works best for you/still has swagger.

Will you realistically ever offroad it to places you can't take the Explorer?
No but neither are at least 80% of everyone else. The one thing that’s drawing to it is the idea of it being a convertible in the summer but a beast in the snow.

OP
OP

Ksm

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

With Kids, exploder.

No kids, Bronco
no kids but a couple Retrievers. The space in the second row is just cramped for the idea of road trips- which we do a couple times a year. I suppose I could always rent a Yukon for those trips, though.

Sponsored

Frank N

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

no kids but a couple Retrievers. The space in the second row is just cramped for the idea of road trips- which we do a couple times a year. I suppose I could always rent a Yukon for those trips, though.
I have two large dogs, I plan on putting the seats down, pack the gear and leave enough room for the dogs....and if my kids want to come, I will bungee them to the roof. LOL, they're 18 and 21...so I figure they will be married with their own kids anyway by the time Ford delivers my late reservation.

AzScorpion

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew Lariat 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Or you could buy a Base SAS for around $35k-$38K to see if you like it? If you do then trade in in in a few years and get one loaded. If not you'll still get a good trade in towards something else without shelling out $40k-$50K upfront.

Grooticus

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Can’t take the roof off an explorer, and as far as resale I would bet the Bronco holds value better than the Explorer over the long run. Especially the first few years as demand remains high. Old Jeep’s have much higher resale than a similar aged/miles explorer, I will assume the Bronco will as well.

OP
OP

Ksm

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Or you could buy a Base SAS for around $35k-$38K to see if you like it? If you do then trade in in in a few years and get one loaded. If not you'll still get a good trade in towards something else without shelling out $40k-$50K upfront.
That’s a pretty good idea! Not sure I’d go base but auto6 Big Bend to get mid package. Non-Sasquatch but add a lift down the road if I keep it. Would be $43k

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No but neither are at least 80% of everyone else. The one thing that’s drawing to it is the idea of it being a convertible in the summer but a beast in the snow.
Chicago-land here:
I've had a 4x4 F250 and currently have an AWD Outback ....totally different handling, but both would totally SHRED in the snow...as does the AWD Legacy.
The biggest difference is the amount of snow the F250 , if weighted down , would go through. Only one storm over the past 20 years would have put the F250 on top, the OB just drives a lot better in day to day snow falls/winter weather.
I actually felt more in control in the OB/Legacy than in the F250...those cars are graceful ladies in the slush ...the F250 was a brutal pushy bitch.

My point is, the Exploder will do just fine, any modern AWD will do just fine in the snows we get around here.
Which will work best for you in your day to day otherwise?
Sounds to me like you should cross shop the Expy/Exploder/Yukon/Tahoe and figure out what size you'll need.
The Expedition/Tahoe size vehicles are fantastic .... even more utility than a mini-van....but cool, LOL!
Explorers will hold their own also...plus ST !!! Freakin' sharp!

On the ST, you may have to spring for winter tires...I do on the Subies, mainly for the wet/dry but cold road road conditions .....the extreme cold is where they really come into their own.

Garage? How big? LOL, something else to consider... if looking at full sized SUV's.
Sponsored

Reactions: Ksm