indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Who are you buying for? Yourself or to impress your friends (swagger).
Sounds like the Exploder is the right vehicle for you ....trimmed out right some of them are sharp as F*CK! Works best for you/still has swagger.

Will you realistically ever offroad it to places you can't take the Explorer?

LOL, probably tows more to boot!

(LMAO, it does, 5000 to 5600lbs depending on model ...Bronco 3500lbs)
Agreed. Explorer sounds like the better fit. Buy things with qualities you will actually use, not imagine using. Unless you really will get a lot of use from the removable top function, buy an Explorer better suited to road use.
Sponsored

Reactions: Ksm
OP
OP

Ksm

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Can’t take the roof off an explorer, and as far as resale I would bet the Bronco holds value better than the Explorer over the long run. Especially the first few years as demand remains high. Old Jeep’s have much higher resale than a similar aged/miles explorer, I will assume the Bronco will as well.
Yeah, I have an October reservation at Granger for $2k below invoice so I figure there’s limited downside risk with getting a 2022 MY Bronco and if I hate it sell it because it should still have a good resale value.

Pork-n-Bean

Badlands
First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moon Vehicle
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Dude... this whole thing is a dumb idea. We are all spending 10's of thousands of dollars on something we're going to beat up in the mountains, deserts, forests or swamps and then expect it to get us back and forth to work, school and the grocery store. A few thousand bucks here or there doesn't make a difference with this purchase either way. Buy once, cry once and enjoy the experience before you are pushing up daisies!

OP
OP

Ksm

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Chicago-land here:
I've had a 4x4 F250 and currently have an AWD Outback ....totally different handling, but both would totally SHRED in the snow...as does the AWD Legacy.
The biggest difference is the amount of snow the F250 , if weighted down , would go through. Only one storm over the past 20 years would have put the F250 on top, the OB just drives a lot better in day to day snow falls/winter weather.
I actually felt more in control in the OB/Legacy than in the F250...those cars are graceful ladies in the slush ...the F250 was a brutal pushy bitch.

My point is, the Exploder will do just fine, any modern AWD will do just fine in the snows we get around here.
Which will work best for you in your day to day otherwise?
Sounds to me like you should cross shop the Expy/Exploder/Yukon/Tahoe and figure out what size you'll need.
The Expedition/Tahoe size vehicles are fantastic .... even more utility than a mini-van....but cool, LOL!
Explorers will hold their own also...plus ST !!! Freakin' sharp!

On the ST, you may have to spring for winter tires...I do on the Subies, mainly for the wet/dry but cold road road conditions .....the extreme cold is where they really come into their own.

Garage? How big? LOL, something else to consider... if looking at full sized SUV's.
The point about the snow was that the Bronco could serve as a convertible during summer but still handle the snow better than a Mustang but point taken. Yes, would love an Expedition but garage space is limited and Explorer is about a big as we can fit.

MacHudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'm going back and forth as well.

The Black Diamond you will lose the
1.signature headlights,
2.upgraded grill,
3.Baja Goat mode,
4.Sway bar disconnect,
5.High level gauge cluster.
6. Orange interior highlights

these are the only major difference i can see if you are building sasquatch on both of them.
And if you do not go Squatch, like me, then Badlands still has the front locker, disco bar, beefier front axle, upgraded shocks.

Sponsored

cbarg14

Black Diamond
First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F•150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm going back and forth as well.

The Black Diamond you will lose the
1.signature headlights,
2.upgraded grill,
3.Baja Goat mode,
4.Sway bar disconnect,
5.High level gauge cluster.
6. Orange interior highlights

these are the only major difference i can see if you are building sasquatch on both of them.
Pretty sure I'm going BD with SQ. Tops out at $50.9K and has all the bells & whistles I need. I honestly don't care for the signature headlights..kinda like the old school look. ?

OP
OP

Ksm

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Actually no, we don’t travel with them. I mentioned them because I take them to the dog park almost daily but we usually get a house/dog sitter when we go on vacation. And I assume you mentioned staying the night before you because you’re allergic to dogs? Maybe stay at a place that doesn’t allow animals? I feel like a lot of hotels don’t allow dogs.

OP
OP

Ksm

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Pretty sure I'm going BD with SQ. Tops out at $50.9K and has all the bells & whistles I need. I honestly don't care for the signature headlights..kinda like the old school look. ?
Agreed! I think BD is the best value. I just wanted the high package and that was pushing me into Badlands.

cbarg14

Black Diamond
First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F•150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Agreed! I think BD is the best value. I just wanted the high package and that was pushing me into Badlands.
For me, I didn't want the high package because I don't want a big screen TV in my rig. I have an 8" currently in my F•150 and the size is just right. The 2.7L is a great engine so I'm 99.9% settled on a BD Squatched with towning capability.

centra28

Badlands
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does it make sense to buy something that’s less practical for the same or more $$?
You have to be the one to answer that question for yourself. For me yes it makes sense, for others it will as well. For some it makes no sense whatsoever. Overall I think you will find that the Bronco driving experience will be a lot better overall than the Jeep because of the IFS. Now I don't know the set up of the Jeep you drove, it could have had huge aftermarket wheels and tires or other things which could have contributed to a bad driving experience. Your "on the road" driving experience for the Bronco will differ depending on what setup you go with, but overall I think it will still be better.

Now to my question:
I had planned on getting a Badlands Bronco that came out to ~$54k but I’m not sure the Bronco is the right choice for us. So I’m thinking of going Black Diamond Sasquatch (~$49k) and saving the difference. That would make me more comfortable with potentially trading the Bronco after a year or so if we decide the vehicle isn’t for us because I’ve hedged $5k in depreciation.

What do you guys think?
The things that I think are going to hold value the best in a Bronco are three things:
  • Sasquatch Package
  • 2.7L V6
  • interior amenities
TBH we really don't know. But I am just thinking about what I have read and seen what people want in a vehicle and those are my top 3 things. IMO if you have a v6 BD Sasquatch Mid Package that is going to have a higher resale value then a 2.3L BL non Sasquatch High Package.

Sponsored

tritonx100

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford explore
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Who are you buying for? Yourself or to impress your friends (swagger).
Sounds like the Exploder is the right vehicle for you ....trimmed out right some of them are sharp as F*CK! Works best for you/still has swagger.

Will you realistically ever offroad it to places you can't take the Explorer?

LOL, probably tows more to boot!

(LMAO, it does, 5000 to 5600lbs depending on model ...Bronco 3500lbs)
I have a 2020 explorer st. It’s fast, handles well, and gets about 22mpg. Not bad for a 400 hp car

Reactions: Ksm

Cheshire

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
my point is that I’d have $5k cash to absorb whatever I’d lose in value. Not necessarily less depreciation but more as a safety cushion
If you will sell in a year what does your $5k absorb?

Badlands: Pay $54,000, sell in a year for $50,000. Lose $4000
Black Diamond: Pay $49,000, sell in a year for $44,000. Lose $5000

This is the scenario where Badlands depreciates less than Black Diamond. The fact that you paid $5k less for the Black Diamond does not alter the fact that Black Diamond sticks you with a bigger loss.

cbarg14

Black Diamond
First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F•150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Dude... this whole thing is a dumb idea. We are all spending 10's of thousands of dollars on something we're going to beat up in the mountains, deserts, forests or swamps and then expect it to get us back and forth to work, school and the grocery store. A few thousand bucks here or there doesn't make a difference with this purchase either way. Buy once, cry once and enjoy the experience before you are pushing up daisies!
Prob the best comment on this forum! ???

BroncoAgain

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"14 Wrangler JKUR, Ram 2500 6.7 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
This is the first year of a totally new vehicle. I have not seen one in person and don't know when that will happen. So get on a list to order one and get it in a year. Buy a $50K+ vehicle that has no history and no test drive. Probably pay full MSRP. I like the looks and videos of it but no one but Ford employees have driven it. I'll feel better about spending the $50K when there is a row of them on the lot to choose from. If these early orders were at a discount it would make more sense. I am very interested as I have had 3 Bronco's in the past but this is just not feeling like a good plan.
Sponsored