Sponsored

Buying from another dealer and servicing at local dealer?

Do you expect a different quality of local service on a Bronco purchased from another dealership?

• Total voters

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Maybe I give them too much credit, but I thought when running the VIN it would tell them. Isnt that the first thing they have to do before writing the ticket up? Especially the "bought it here benefits" like a loaner during extended service.

I also want to put a Got it at Granger sticker to show my support for them, but also dont want to get a small ding in my door during service. Id like to think this never happens, but not very confident
Oasis report shows where it was delivered, in service date (needed to verify its under warranty), any open recalls, and 180 day warranty history. Also shows some info about where it was built...if multiple plants, and plant that produced engine. For the most part we just looked at the in service date...warranty starts on that day...and ends 36mo from that date to the day. Not much else really matters...but if you got a 180 day warranty history that looked like a cheap novel it raised eyebrows. We have lemon law in our state.
Sponsored

OP
OP
AbeFroman

AbeFroman

First Edition
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

This is great to hear, thanks everyone!

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep YJ, Ford Fiesta ST, Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
My previous and current Fords were purchased from a dealer in another Metro area town and serviced at our local dealership here in town. They're probably 15-20 miles apart. I've had no problems with either, both for routine maintenance and warranty work.

I'm not worried about it at all. But maybe if my local dealership was on an island of it's own with other dealerships hundreds of miles away I would.

I also debadge (dealership emblems/stickers too) my cars as soon as they come home which could help your concern. Your service department won't know or care where it was purchased from unless there's some huge GRANGER emblem on it.

Darforce

Black Diamond
First Name
Darlene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru crosstrek/ Mazda miata
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I did that 2 cars ago. Hated the service mgr. he was a total dbag. So went to a different dealer and they were so much nicer that’s where I bought my next car

Megawatt

First Name
JO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lifted Rubicon usually off-road.
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I have never been asked where I purchased any of my vehicles by a service writer.

And nobody cared or gave me any special treatment if I mention I purchased from the same dealership.

Sponsored

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If the sales departments actually talked to the service septs they'd see my f150 has been at the dealership multiple times and yet no one from sales felt the need to call me. Their BDC dept should have been all over that list of service customers to call and reach out to. They haven't even called me about the new super duty offerings either, so maybe they really don't want to work or make money.

KTP 30

Wildtrak
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Wildtrak 23 Bas Squatch 93 Mustang 87 mustang
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Well my 2 cents not that it matters. Bought from dealer that gave me the best deal. Had a dealer closer to me do all service and oil changes! So had water leak on my F150. They fixed it but chipped up my paint. Went to see service manager about the chips in my paint where they were working . He said that they were there they didn't do them. So went to see the owner of course he wasn't in . He did call me back and discussed what happen. First ? out his mouth is where did you buy your truck?? Needless to say they said there not fixing can't prove they did it!! So i would say yes! Not the first dealer to ask me this. All ford dealers are privately owned ford has no control over them period! They pretty much can refuse you service! Owner told me there are plenty of other ford dealers go there!

KTP 30

Wildtrak
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Wildtrak 23 Bas Squatch 93 Mustang 87 mustang
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

My previous and current Fords were purchased from a dealer in another Metro area town and serviced at our local dealership here in town. They're probably 15-20 miles apart. I've had no problems with either, both for routine maintenance and warranty work.

I'm not worried about it at all. But maybe if my local dealership was on an island of it's own with other dealerships hundreds of miles away I would.

I also debadge (dealership emblems/stickers too) my cars as soon as they come home which could help your concern. Your service department won't know or care where it was purchased from unless there's some huge GRANGER emblem on it.
Wrong they know!

broncobobby

Outer Banks
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Jeep CJ7, 74 F100, 14 Explorer, 18 F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I would suggest to you to remove the Dealer Logo, decal. license plate, etc off your Bronco after you buy it. It doesn't assure you of any special treatment.

XCR440

Badlands
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, 22 Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
When you're paying the bill it won't matter where you bought it, but on warranty I'd argue it could make a difference. No tech wants to do warranty, Ford pays really crappy time on warranty so techs don't want to do it since they don't make any money on it. Techs are paid flat rate where they get pay based on hours of labor paid, warranty pays 1/2-2/3 of what everything else pays (time wise), The dealer also doesn't make much on warranty so you can see where trying not to do it if there is other work can that pays. That's where a lot of "they all do that, its normal" and "it didn't act up for us" customer complaints come from.

One other factor isn't just where you bought it, if you get all your service work and purchase accessories from that dealer, you're less likely to have issue than the guy that just shows up for warranty work and never spends a dime at the dealership.

Another issue is tech availability, Some areas of the country are having a shortage of techs, so if there is more work than techs, guess which repairs get turned down first, I expect this problem to continue to grow as more and more kids get pushed to college furthering the shortage of skilled trades.

So to answer your question, yes, no, maybe so. It's kind of like Bronco allocation questions right now!

Sponsored

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep YJ, Ford Fiesta ST, Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
OP
OP
AbeFroman

AbeFroman

First Edition
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Back when I started this thread, X-Plan was still a thing. So I was on the fence about the difference between a locally honored xplan price vs. the Granger $1300 under invoice with Pin. But I appreciated the Granger transparency and effort here on the forum, so i moved over.

Now that xplan is gone, I'm very happy I switched to Granger. But as mentioned by KTP 30, I can totally imagine problems if something goes wrong following a service visit.

Just gonna hope for the best.

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I wondered this too, but thought more in depth after you posted this. I don't think the service dept cares where it was purchased, they're getting paid to do their job no matter what. The sales commission goes to the front office anyway.

cybersal

Base
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

In the 18 plus years of owning my Escape, it has only been serviced at one place, Bob Davidson Ford. Never a problem, I've never felt like I was being ripped off. I intend to take my Leonardtown Ford Bronco to Bob Davidson for service, too, until I have a reason not to do so...which hopefully won't happen.

SevenT

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 U15 Sport Edition; 2021 AMB 4 Door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you never tell them that it came from another dealership, they will never know or care. I for one, will not drive 150 miles round trip for service when I can drive 16 instead.
Sponsored