Sponsored

Buying from another dealer and servicing at local dealer?

Do you expect a different quality of local service on a Bronco purchased from another dealership?

• Total voters

AbeFroman

First Edition
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Following up on the allocation thread, it seems the big dealers are very unhappy with Granger's sales approach (full disclosure, I transfered my reservation to Granger).

While I am thrilled to buy from them, I'm going to need to service the Bronco locally. Im worried that Broncos purchased from other dealerships could result in service problems or a lower level of care/support if they think I took my purchase elsewhere . Would you be concerned about trouble or be less welcome if you didn't buy there? Especially being a first model year, I expect a small number of updates or recalls as these get more customer miles under them, so service I can trust is important.

I'd love to hear if anyone buying shares this concern, and if any dealer would be willing to comment on servicing cars sold from other dealerships. Under normal circumstances, moving for instance, I think I could expect fair treatment where the servicing dealership didn't feel they missed out. In the case of the Bronco, I think many dealerships will know whats up when a Bronco comes in for service that wasn't bought there....They probably lost the sale...
Sponsored

CCross

Badlands
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Chevy 2500HD Duramax, 2000 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was in the Air Force for over 20 years and have done plenty of moving. From my experience, service departments are separate from sales departments and will be perfectly happy to have your business. Since I’ve retired, we’ve purchased a new Honda locally. I’ve never received any special treatment when taking my wife’s Pilot in for service at the dealership of purchase.

chartzilla

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Land Rover Disco 2, '79 Corvette, '17 Elantra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't really see why the service people would care where you bought it. They don't make any more or less money based on how many sales were made in the building next door.

tyrobronco

Badlands
First Name
CC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco,2017 Ford Fusion Energi
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Who is keeping tabs - and who has so little to do to look up where you bought your vehicle from?

And how do they even know your life-circumstance?

What would the conversation even look like?

SAL: Yo, Gus - we got one of dem dhere new-fangled Broncos in. It needs an oil change.

GUS: Seriously?! Where did they buy it?

SAL: What do I look like, their mudder?! Who frickin' cares?

GUS: I dunno. I mean if they bought it here - den, yaknow - "home team". But if they went skulking around to Iowa to get it - then I'll just piss in the engine instead, knowutimean?

SAL: You are a true, loyal employee, Gus. I think I'll join ya for dat piss. Dat will show dat thrifty a-hole.

wavydave

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G8 GXP, 04 F150 FX4, Wildtrak 2DR, Badlands 4DR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I've never had a service department care one iota where I bought my vehicle. I've only needed to take them in for warranty work anyway. Hopefully these Broncos won't require servicing.

Sponsored

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As a former service dept employee I can say w/conviction it wont be a problem. In fact it curiously works the opposite! My former employer is a Ford/Lincoln and previously before they pulled out of market, Rolls/Bentley(good god...i didn't have to deal w/them much). Customers who had bought multiple vehicles there over the years tended to be a royal PITA...sometimes I think they were just there to see how much free stuff they could wring out of us. Customers from off the street generally just needed something fixed and were happy when it was done. Trust me every service dept has a group of customers that make the employees keep thier heads down when thier car shows up!

AZRap

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Raptor, 16 Mustang, 56 F100, 19 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I highly doubt this will be a problem. Service makes all the money and could care less about a couple vehicle sales. The techs will be just as professional making repairs.

N3T

Big Bend
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 e320 wagon
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Following up on the allocation thread, it seems the big dealers are very unhappy with Granger's sales approach (full disclosure, I transfered my reservation to Granger).

While I am thrilled to buy from them, I'm going to need to service the Bronco locally. Im worried that Broncos purchased from other dealerships could result in service problems or a lower level of care/support if they think I took my purchase elsewhere . Would you be concerned about trouble or be less welcome if you didn't buy there? Especially being a first model year, I expect a small number of updates or recalls as these get more customer miles under them, so service I can trust is important.

I'd love to hear if anyone buying shares this concern, and if any dealer would be willing to comment on servicing cars sold from other dealerships. Under normal circumstances, moving for instance, I think I could expect fair treatment where the servicing dealership didn't feel they missed out. In the case of the Bronco, I think many dealerships will know whats up when a Bronco comes in for service that wasn't bought there....They probably lost the sale...
Bought a Toyota from one local dealer who was honest, upfront, and answered all my questions. I get it serviced at another local dealer that has a terrific service Dept.

Never had an issue.

It can be done. You have to figure out if the logistics of getting the vehicle home are worth it. That’s it.

Mrpenn46

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands - Cactus Gray
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Fun fact, each department in a dealership is its own business. If you walk up to the parts counter and ask for a price on a part it will be a couple dollars less than if you buy that part through the service department because parts sells parts to service. Service has their own metrics that are tracked by Ford, i.e. Fixed Right the First Time scores. By offering poor service just because you bought at a different dealership would harm those scores and potentially screw the entire dealership out of FoMoCo perks. Those scores are partially generated by those customer satisfaction surveys they are always bugging you to fill out.

Sponsored
OP
OP
AbeFroman

AbeFroman

First Edition
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Who is keeping tabs - and who has so little to do to look up where you bought your vehicle from?

SAL: Yo, Gus - we got one of dem dhere new-fangled Broncos in. It needs an oil change.

GUS: I dunno. I mean if they bought it here - den, yaknow - "home team". But if they went skulking around to Iowa to get it - then I'll just piss in the engine instead, knowutimean?

SAL: You are a true, loyal employee, Gus. I think I'll join ya for dat piss. Dat will show dat thrifty a-hole.
Maybe I give them too much credit, but I thought when running the VIN it would tell them. Isnt that the first thing they have to do before writing the ticket up? Especially the "bought it here benefits" like a loaner during extended service.

I also want to put a Got it at Granger sticker to show my support for them, but also dont want to get a small ding in my door during service. Id like to think this never happens, but not very confident

N3T

Big Bend
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 e320 wagon
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Maybe I give them too much credit, but I thought when running the VIN it would tell them. Isnt that the first thing they have to do before writing the ticket up? Especially the "bought it here benefits" like a loaner during extended service.

I also want to put a Got it at Granger sticker to show my support for them, but also dont want to get a small ding in my door during service. Id like to think this never happens, but not very confident
I suppose the ding could happen if there’s only one service Dept in your city. But with all service depts competing for customers I can’t see jealousy being a competitive advantage.

GiddyUp

Big Bend
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

That was awesome! You deserve a Tony for that performance!
Ford Bronco Buying from another dealer and servicing at local dealer? BitterDelightfulAmericanblackvulture-size_restricted

mdonathan56

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Bad,2016 Q5 TDI, 2009 Honda Element EX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Fun fact, each department in a dealership is its own business. If you walk up to the parts counter and ask for a price on a part it will be a couple dollars less than if you buy that part through the service department because parts sells parts to service. Service has their own metrics that are tracked by Ford, i.e. Fixed Right the First Time scores. By offering poor service just because you bought at a different dealership would harm those scores and potentially screw the entire dealership out of FoMoCo perks. Those scores are partially generated by those customer satisfaction surveys they are always bugging you to fill out.
And that is why service department personnel always ask if everything right and that you'll reply that the service was excellent. They get perks and bonuses based on customer feedback. So always complete your after service survey.

jonwithanelcamino

Black Diamond
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
El Camino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

As a former service dept employee I can say w/conviction it wont be a problem. In fact it curiously works the opposite! My former employer is a Ford/Lincoln and previously before they pulled out of market, Rolls/Bentley(good god...i didn't have to deal w/them much). Customers who had bought multiple vehicles there over the years tended to be a royal PITA...sometimes I think they were just there to see how much free stuff they could wring out of us. Customers from off the street generally just needed something fixed and were happy when it was done. Trust me every service dept has a group of customers that make the employees keep thier heads down when thier car shows up!
Make this a sticky :)
Sponsored