Sponsored

Buying Modular Hardtop As Accessory After Sale / Delivery?

Studawg

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Excursion, 96 Land Cruiser, 18 Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Is the wiring already in place for the back glass defroster and you just pull it out from some trim piece and plug it in? Is there a motor installed for the rear wiper and you just obtain and install the wiper arm assembly? I honestly don't know, so I'm asking. Otherwise, yeah, I think something might need to be modified if you want the full function of a factory hardtop for a vehicle that was purchased as a soft top only.
Yes, the vehicle is prewired for it. Just plug it in. Id venture to guess the Base is wired up the same as a First Edition.

The hardtop would have the motor and wiper assembly already installed on it.
Sponsored

Lifeliberty

Base
First Name
Moonbeam👀
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93CBR900RR, (prior)88 Bronco Manual 4.9L str 6
Your Bronco Model
Base

Aman

Badlands
First Name
Aman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 M3, 2008 Armada, and 2022 Badlands ManSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Maybe! You see some broncos coming with dual tops which would imply they are interchangeable, but I think that is the mod and soft top. You're the one that has seen it up close! You tell us!
Unfortunately I haven't seen the soft top...does seem like Ford is hiding that from us. The MIC and modular tops do have the same mounting points. I was told by the rep that the soft top will use the same mounting points, but he did not provide an answer regarding the wiring and washer hose on a vehicle that only comes with the soft top.

Lifeliberty

Base
First Name
Moonbeam👀
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Unfortunately I haven't seen the soft top...does seem like Ford is hiding that from us. The MIC and modular tops do have the same mounting points. I was told by the rep that the soft top will use the same mounting points, but he did not provide an answer regarding the wiring and washer hose on a vehicle that only comes with the soft top.
That's great news, really. I haven't seen the new Bronco yet, the full size bronco top just screwed down to the bed and with the trim pieces inside could take a while to disengage, plus with it one piece and having huge windows was pretty heavy. The new tops sounds a lot easier to move

OP
OP
jntaylor1701

jntaylor1701

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco II Eddie Bauer
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Thanks for the replies. Im guessing that yes, Ford will sell me one and if I want the defroster and wiper working it will be more than just a bolt on.

Sponsored

Aman

Badlands
First Name
Aman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 M3, 2008 Armada, and 2022 Badlands ManSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That's great news, really. I haven't seen the new Bronco yet, the full size bronco top just screwed down to the bed and with the trim pieces inside could take a while to disengage, plus with it one piece and having huge windows was pretty heavy. The new tops sounds a lot easier to move
Yeah, the old tops are stupid heavy. Had the opportunity to help remove my friend's on numerous occasions. Fun truck to drive, though.

I am a bit concerned with the weight of the 2-door MIC rear shell. Those windows are pretty big. :eek:

Lifeliberty

Base
First Name
Moonbeam👀
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yeah, the old tops are stupid heavy. Had the opportunity to help remove my friend's on numerous occasions. Fun truck to drive, though.

I am a bit concerned with the weight of the 2-door MIC rear shell. Those windows are pretty big. :eek:
I think it will be fine comparatively:ROFLMAO:

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

You will be able to buy a hardtop. You won't be able to order one painted to match. No way will Ford want to stock that many part numbers to cover all the possible color combinations. They will likely offer that standard Black & Gray options and have a paint ready option. This is what the do for the door handles and mirror caps on the F-Series trucks. You can order the black plastic or a ready to paint.

JDisFlip

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yes, the vehicle is prewired for it. Just plug it in. Id venture to guess the Base is wired up the same as a First Edition.

The hardtop would have the motor and wiper assembly already installed on it.
This video has been around for awhile, but here's a showing of the MIC reinstalling on a 2 door.

You can see wires attached to the back glass.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Is the wiring already in place for the back glass defroster and you just pull it out from some trim piece and plug it in? Is there a motor installed for the rear wiper and you just obtain and install the wiper arm assembly? I honestly don't know, so I'm asking. Otherwise, yeah, I think something might need to be modified if you want the full function of a factory hardtop for a vehicle that was purchased as a soft top only.
I bought a used but very nice condition factory hardtop ($800) for my Jeep Wrangler TJ. Hardtop fit fine. But to use the back window defrost and wiper, yes I would need to wire it up. So there is that aspect of swapping.

One consideration - maybe the modular rear side windows will be swappable into the non-modular hardtop. Unless Ford manufactures the window surround differently between the two tops.

Sponsored

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

"Hi Ford dealer parts department, Id like to order an Oxford White Modular top, please."
I'm sure they'll be glad to sell you a primed/paint-ready hard top.
Yes, the vehicle is prewired for it. Just plug it in.
Hopefully. So far no Ford reps have answered this question.
One consideration - maybe the modular rear side windows will be swappable into the non-modular hardtop. Unless Ford manufactures the window surround differently between the two tops.
The window surrounds look different in how they attach

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

It is much cheaper for Ford to use a single wiring harness across the board than to have several different P/N's to inventory. Reduces the possibility of mistakes.

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It is much cheaper for Ford to use a single wiring harness across the board than to have several different P/N's to inventory. Reduces the possibility of mistakes.
People are concerned because that's what Jeep does. No wiring harness (or rear defroster button, or rear wiper controls) unless you get the hard top.

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This video has been around for awhile, but here's a showing of the MIC reinstalling on a 2 door.

You can see wires attached to the back glass.

Maybe. Everything so far is pre-prod and it's quite possible they've built them all with HT support. Projecting from there that the actual production models will have all this built in is kind of a stretch at this point.

Studawg

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Excursion, 96 Land Cruiser, 18 Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm sure they'll be glad to sell you a primed/paint-ready hard top.
Hopefully. So far no Ford reps have answered this question.
The window surrounds look different in how they attach
I thought you were a Ford rep?
Sponsored