Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 4DR Badlands and a couple of Acuras
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Free float is always nice. If you can't afford, beg borrow or steal the $$$ to pay it off quickly than it's a losing venture.
I kind of figured that because I plan to do the same thing. Especially after seeing that Ford Pass Visa card that I posted earlier.
Sponsored

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I'm guessing the OP is just using a CC to get the rewards points and float for 30-45 days. You better have the means to pay it off before APR kicks in though.

Otherwise, don't use a CC OP.
You would still pay 3% more for the purchase. That's not a small thing on a $30-50k purchase.

Boston182

First Edition
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Davidson Sportster
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I've thought about this too. I've got the credit limit. I've got the cash on hand. Figure I put the whole thing on the card, collect points/cash back on it, pay it off that month.

I'm not super educated on the subject, but this seems like a good idea given my parameters. I've been told that some dealers even take off money if you finance through them instead of a CC. It was framed to me this way because they have to pay a fee to the CC companies, so they'd rather just give that difference to the customer. But, this is hearsay.

MJJ

Wildtrak
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon, Jeep Wagoneer, Colorado ZR2
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Many People don’t realize the merchant pays the credit card company costly fees. In some cases 3-5% of the purchase price. No dealer is going to want to eat 2000-3000 grand in fees so you can get airline miles.

mostly harmless

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 RAM 1500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Like a few others here, I will use a credit card for the down payment:

- if the dealer doesn’t impose a fee to do so
- only to the extent that I can pay the card balance off entirely that same month

Gotta get those air miles, but it becomes a losing proposition if you have to pay fees or interest to get them...

Sponsored

ColoradoGuy

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You would still pay 3% more for the purchase. That's not a small thing on a $30-50k purchase.
That would negate most of the points so if that's the case, I wouldn't do it. Where do see this 3% fee by the way?

OP
OP

wordstew

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H3 Hummer, Explorer Sport, BMW R1200C
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I kind of figured that because I plan to do the same thing. Especially after seeing that Ford Pass Visa card that I posted earlier.
The big question is how much will they let you charge towards the vehicle.

Civkik

Badlands
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Badlands, '18 Wrangler Rubicon, '18 R1M
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We charge a pretty hefty fee for charges over 5k, but I don't think it would be impossible.

ColoradoGuy

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The big question is how much will they let you charge towards the vehicle.
With the Ford Pass Visa card, they mention this:

"Make your first purchase of a $3,000 vehicle down payment".

Maybe that is the limit before they charge any fees...

OP
OP

wordstew

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How about if you put X dollars down on the vehicle and then purchased the added options (dealer or factory) in another charge... Hey Mr. Dealer "I would love to have these options or model upgrade added but can only do it with a CC"

Sponsored

AZHUND

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 RAM 1500 5.7L 4x4, 2018 Wrangler S 3.6L
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I had a dealer mention this was an option 5 minutes after I hit the send button for a wire transfer. Was angry for a day or two I missed out on those points... I don't think OP means to 'finance' the vehicle with a CC - just a way for cash buyers to rake in some free points instead of writing a check/wire/suitcase of cash.

hemiblas

Wildtrak
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang gt, 3 Wrangler JLs
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Most dealerships I've bought at have limited it to 3k, then the rest I pay out of my bank account. AGreed they pay fees in the range of 3 percent so they usually dont allow you to do this. They could just let you pay cash and give you 3 percent off the vehicle purchase price....It would be the same.

OP
OP

wordstew

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I had a dealer mention this was an option 5 minutes after I hit the send button for a wire transfer. Was angry for a day or two I missed out on those points... I don't think OP means to 'finance' the vehicle with a CC - just a way for cash buyers to rake in some free points instead of writing a check/wire/suitcase of cash.
exactly.... benefit from the $$$ transaction

Cookieck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro SS, Indian Chief Vintage, Yamaha Fz1, Honda Shadow, etc
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I’ve bought my last 2 vehicles(one car one motorcycle) on my credit card to get points/miles. I def wouldn’t recommend doing it if you don’t plan to pay it off right away, but if you’re planning to purchase outright and not get any sort of loan(so have the full amount in your bank account) then I don’t see why not. Neither of my purchases incurred any extra fees of any sort, and I paid off the balance soon as I got home so no interest at all. Over 30k in points/miles. The dealer I got the motorcycle from said they do it all the time, even got told a story by the finance guy bout a guy that came in and bought like 3 or 4 custom bikes and finance guy suggested to put it on his American Express business card, was like 150k total.

Reactions: N3T

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I don't see a dealer walking away from $1200 ($40k car) so you can pay by credit card. That would be out of their pocket. Unless you are paying MSRP. Then, they might do it out of mercy. :LOL:
Sponsored