Tor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Braptor Bk, 21 FE RR, 15 F250,
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

And I said if you were allowed to it would be an incredibly bad decision financially.
If you are trying to say if you carry the balance, then I would agree but that card is paid off every month, it doesn't carry a balance so no interest so I don't see how it is a bad financial decision....
Sponsored

Johnny Mo

Raptor
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teachu2shoot.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion Energi, Ducati XDiavel
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

If you are trying to say if you carry the balance, then I would agree but that card is paid off every month, it doesn't carry a balance so no interest so I don't see how it is a bad financial decision....
If you have $30-50k to pay off a credit card in one month without carrying a balance - more power to ya, but with the additional 2% surcharge - I suspect that would negate the bulk of any rewards earned as well.

jonwithanelcamino

Black Diamond
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
El Camino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If you have $30-50k to pay off a credit card in one month without carrying a balance - more power to ya, but with the additional 2% surcharge - I suspect that would negate the bulk of any rewards earned as well.
Actually, I read the surcharge as the transaction will cost more but you’d just put a higher cost on your card and if you were paying off, just need more cash.

the 2% surcharge may negate any savings on discounts though.

Tor148

First Edition
First Name
Tor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

It wouldn't.

Sponsored

Tor148

First Edition
First Name
Tor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

How does paying 2% more on a 50k purchase NOT wipe out the 2-3% rewards earned? It's simple math!
Its all about the deal you have with your card, as well as other things you can do with the business card. Financial matters is looking at the big picture, it is also about the taxe implications, both on income and what you can claim. So its not always simple math.

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

How does paying 2% more on a 50k purchase NOT wipe out the 2-3% rewards earned? It's simple math!
One of my cards is 2% cash back. If there's a 2% surcharge it's a wash. So it's not a benefit to use it but its not an "incredibly bad idea"

Johnny Mo

Raptor
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teachu2shoot.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

One of my cards is 2% cash back. If there's a 2% surcharge it's a wash. So it's not a benefit to use it but its not an "incredibly bad idea"
As long as you pay off the full amount the next month

Sponsored

Johnny Mo

Raptor
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teachu2shoot.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Its all about the deal you have with your card, as well as other things you can do with the business card. Financial matters is looking at the big picture, it is also about the taxe implications, both on income and what you can claim. So its not always simple math.
That wasn't the original use case the OP presented - in your case yeah it could work and as long as someone isn't carrying a balance yeah it could work - but in the simplest way it was presented - 2% reward to pay a 2% surcharge doesn't work.

Tor148

First Edition
First Name
Tor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

That wasn't the original use case the OP presented - in your case yeah it could work and as long as someone isn't carrying a balance yeah it could work - but in the simplest way it was presented - 2% reward to pay a 2% surcharge doesn't work.
When I read it as you of course you would pay it off immediately. I didn't think they meant to carry the cost over months because he was talking about rewards. If not not, then I misinterpreted it (would put a shrug emoji, but don't know how?)

jayhawkco

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Nissan Xterra Off Road
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If Granger allows up to $2,000 on a CC, I'll probably put my down payment on there then. I have a 2% cash back card, so that's basically $40 in my pocket. I don't plan on putting a lot down since I'm going to either do a 36 or 48 month finance and expect the rates to be less than 2%.

Chris

Joe Brony

Outer Banks
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape :(
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Just remember that point values are .01 to .02 depending on how successfully you redeem them. So 50,000 points is about $500 and as mentioned would be negated by fees the dealer has.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I recently tried to buy my Sea Doos on a credit card. I would not carry a balance, pay them off when the bill came, but they wouldn't do it for less than their charge (1.25% I think). Ended up a wash for the miles vs. charge. I do plan on verifying If I can use the Ford card for the Bronco. If so, I will run the numbers. If you get 5% at the dealership, that would cover a good portion of the tax and fees. I would then pay the balance with a loan from my CU (plan on putting $15-$20k down, financing the roughly $25k balance). Anyone know the details of the Ford card or done this already?
Sponsored