North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I am wondering how it knows when/where to re-lock itself. Must be a sensor to know when the bar is straight again and its ok to close the 2 valves to lock the fluid. Might be using the 2 pressure sensors and it locks when they are equal pressure?
A mechanical disco is spring loaded and re-locks when the key lines up perfectly, and only fits 1 way.
The computer knows when you are over 20mph and sends a signal to the unit to re-engage, automatically on the fly.
"electro-hydraulically actuated front stabilizer bar disconnect system from BWI Group that can disengage while under load. Once disengaged it automatically re-connects at speeds of 20-plus mph, then automatically disengages again when speeds drop sufficiently"
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/ford/bronco/2021/2021-ford-bronco-first-look/
Sponsored

VelocityBronco

Badlands
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands, F-150 FX4, Explorer Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The computer knows when you are over 20mph and sends a signal to the unit to reengage, automatically on the fly.
I understand that...but the shaft needs to lock ONLY when its straight. If the shaft locks when the bar is twisted, your ride will be all messed up. So the Disconnect needs a sensor to know when to actually close the valves after you hit the button or go over 20mph.

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

i think you're overthinking the problem. if the pin is held by a solenoid, you could chamfer the bar. once the pin is released, it will drop into the chamfered hole as the
bar rotates past. no sensor required.

we use a similar setup on a jig at work.

vrewald14

Badlands
First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Ford Excursion, 79 Ford Bronco, 04 Toyota Camry
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As an engineer, this is an awesome post to see!

I was hoping for some more details and this is a very thorough explanation.

As a frequent wheeler, I truly understand the benefits disconnectable sway bars offer and this takes it to the next level.

Nice work BWI and Ford.

Incognito

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jk
Your Bronco Model
Base
alright, could i get this in english now?
imagine a jar with a hole in the top, sitting on it's side.
Inside the jar is a screw and a nut.
The screw head is 1/2 way down the shaft of the screw, and is wide enough to seal against the side of the jar.
The nut is fixed to the insides of the jar.
There is a straw outside the jar connecting the top to the bottom.

As you turn the screw back and forth, fluid will flow through the straw as the volume on one side of the sealed jar gets larger or smaller.
Pinch the straw, and the whole thing will lock up solid, because the fluid in the jar can't go to the other side anymore.
Turning the screw now turns the whole jar.

Sponsored

Cased

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
dune buggy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Adapting this to the rear would be great for more roll control on the street , very well thought out .
Lots of torque trying to twist any engagement parts so time will tell on the long term strength of this unit

MentalBill

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic, Toyota Tundra, Yamaha WR250R
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Great write up. Does make me think that the remote disconnect is nice but an expensive luxury.
The aftermarket will have manual ones in no time..

Incognito

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jk
Your Bronco Model
Base
Adapting this to the rear would be great for more roll control on the street , very well thought out .
Lots of torque trying to twist any engagement parts so time will tell on the long term strength of this unit
The engagement is done hydraulically.
As long as the seals and hoses don't burst, you're GTG.

Cased

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
dune buggy
Your Bronco Model
Base
It's the parts that are connected to the bar itself that will be taking the torque .....the piston is keyed or splined or ? The housing is somehow attached to the other bar

Im sure they did their homework but remember the guy from the Raptor video

Bodge Garage

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Land Rover Discovery, Jeep Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So where is Ford getting the hydraulic pressure from? Land Rover had a similar system back in the 2000's and it ran off of an accessory pump. ACE, Active Corner Enhancment. It was a front and rear system and added a fair bit of complexity. The rover system went one step further and used the hydraulic pressure to counter act cornering. Those trucks handled very flat. In 4Low the system went limp. Great when it was working but $$ when it got old and more prone to issue. I guess with my history I am torn about wanting this system.

So I need to edit this already. I re-watched the BWI video and I looks to be a closed hydraulic system and basically just hydrolocks when the solenoids are closed. That is a very clean system them for the deeds of a disconnect.

Last edited:

Sponsored

rapidredbronco2021

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 2 door MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is really cool thanks for posting and gathering all of the information. I don't think it'll be an option for the other trims, just for BL and FE.

OP
OP
North7

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

So where is Ford getting the hydraulic pressure from? Land Rover had a similar system back in the 2000's and it ran off of an accessory pump. ACE, Active Corner Enhancment. It was a front and rear system and added a fair bit of complexity. The rover system went one step further and used the hydraulic pressure to counter act cornering. Those trucks handled very flat. In 4Low the system went limp. Great when it was working but $$ when it got old and more prone to issue. I guess with my history I am torn about wanting this system.
I'm not sure I would compare Land Rover unreliability to anything other than FCA unreliability, competitors in the race to the bottom.

Bodge Garage

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Land Rover Discovery, Jeep Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm not sure I would compare Land Rover unreliability to anything other than FCA unreliability, competitors in the race to the bottom.
It is not that it was unreliable it was overly complex since it was a complete active cornering system not just a disconnect. Looking at the BWI piece again it appears to be a completely stand alone part other than electronic inputs. A very nice system I think.

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

So I need to edit this already. I re-watched the BWI video and I looks to be a closed hydraulic system and basically just hydrolocks when the solenoids are closed. That is a very clean system them for the deeds of a disconnect.
I'm the furthest thing from knowledgeable but it appears to be self contained? The oil on either side of the piston is pressurized, with perhaps an overflow for temperature differences. When the bar is disconnected the valves allow the oil to move freely from one side to the other to allow the piston to articulate. When they shut, the fluid can no longer move. Then there just needs to be the electronic connection to (de)activate and allow the ECU to do so when crossing the 20mph threshold.

Badplaid72

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is my favorite thread to date. I like it because it is factual discussion backed with references. If anybody else is still on this thread and reading this then you like it too.

Can somebody direct me to an area in Bronco6G with more discussions like these? I am really curious about the SAS pkg and what it brings to the Badland... Stuff like that.

Thanks.
Sponsored