Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

UPDATED THREAD with new and additional information:
Bronco Stabilizer Bar Disconnect Operational & Service Information

I found the July 13th announcements below that show the BWI Group is building the Bronco's Front Stabilizer Bar Disconnect, thanks to a tip from @Aman in another thread that they were the supplier. Below is some of the information on how the unit functions. This unit is only available on the Badlands and First Edition trims, there has been no information to indicate it will be an a la carte option on any other trims. As a reminder, this is a hydraulic system unlike the Jeep Rubicon's electronic sway bar disconnect system.

What are your thoughts, it seems like some very innovative engineering.
"electro-hydraulically actuated front stabilizer bar disconnect system from BWI Group that can disengage while under load. Once disengaged it automatically re-connects at speeds of 20-plus mph, then automatically disengages again when speeds drop sufficiently"
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/ford/bronco/2021/2021-ford-bronco-first-look/
BWI Operational Video

BWI product page

BWI Group Front Stabilizer Bar Disconnect announcement 7/13/2020

BWI Bronco Front Stabilizer Bar Disconnect
7/13/2020

Ford Bronco BWI Bronco Stabilizer Bar Disconnect Technical Information BWI Bronco Front Stabilizer Bar Disconnect

2021 Ford Bronco

The available front stabilizer bar disconnect off a unique to the segment design for increased articulation across the vehicle to help you up, over and around large obstacles.

BWI Group

Ford Bronco BWI Bronco Stabilizer Bar Disconnect Technical Information ilizer-bar-disconnect-system-handbrake-moment_ori

Ford Bronco BWI Bronco Stabilizer Bar Disconnect Technical Information izer-bar-disconnect-system-handbrake-moment-2_ori

Piston

Ford Bronco BWI Bronco Stabilizer Bar Disconnect Technical Information stabilizer-2_or

Stabilizer bar ends are disconnected and free to move on their own.

The solenoid valves are open and the piston (immersed in fluid) is free to move as fluid flushes in and out of the chambers on both sides of the piston.

Full suspension travel is possible. Wheel articulation is not limited by the stabilizer bar.

Ford Bronco BWI Bronco Stabilizer Bar Disconnect Technical Information stabilizer-3_or

Stabilizer bar ends are now connected.

Both solenoid valves are closed, preventing fluid flow. The piston is hydraulically locked.

Total suspension roll stiffness is increased and vehicle body roll angle limited while cornering.

BWI Operational Video

Update 4-5-2021, photos from Moab by @The Bronze

Ford Bronco BWI Bronco Stabilizer Bar Disconnect Technical Information img_7468-

Ford Bronco BWI Bronco Stabilizer Bar Disconnect Technical Information img_7483-
Sponsored

Last edited:

Designkid

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

a lot less moving components then i thought. Just a couple solenoids. Nice write up

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I take this to mean that a loss of fluid from a leak etc would cause it to fail in the disconnected position?

OP
OP
North7

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I take this to mean that a loss of fluid from a leak etc would cause it to fail in the disconnected position?
I'm not sure of the failure modes but I'm not really concerned, how many years have we been driving with hydraulic power steering, the design elements are well understood and the bash plates will keep the unit protected. Also, this is not a brand new design for BWI, they have designs on other vehicles.

Sponsored

Blksn955.o

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Ford Escape Ti, 94 Ford Mustang GT, 21 BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think there is also a locking pin involved also actuated by noid. Failure if I recall is to the locked or connected position.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm not sure of the failure modes but I'm not really concerned, how many years have we been driving with hydraulic power steering, the design elements are well understood and the bash plates will keep the unit protected. Also, this is not a brand new design for BWI, they have designs on other vehicles.
I'm none too concerned about failure either, more my interest is academic. If customers ask me what would happen if it didn't work right...most likely because the fluid leaked out?

BigB7

Badlands
First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford bronco 1993
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Do you think this option will be a la cart? Or just specific to badlands and 1st edition?

Sponsored

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus ST, '21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm none too concerned about failure either, more my interest is academic. If customers ask me what would happen if it didn't work right...most likely because the fluid leaked out?
The solenoid valves are open and the piston (immersed in fluid) is free to move as fluid flushes in and out of the chambers on both sides of the piston
The solenoids failure mode SHOULD be the closed position - similarly if there is a leak the piston will no longer be immersed, and the swaybar would behave as connected.

I'm sure BWI did a simple FMEA and made the failure modes at least point to failing as a connected member.

Broncomputer

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I thought it was actually disconnecting into two separate parts.

I was thinking that you'd have to put it back together once it "split."

?‍♂

ROCKO

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How much more articulation will you get after disconnected?

zaki

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lexus LS 500;'94 Acura NSX;'13 Landcruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Looks great but my concern is long term reliability and durability.

The more parts and complexity a system has the greater the chances of a glitch somewhere along the line.

Remember Murphy’s law.

Also, how would you feel about this feature after your warranty period is over?

I would be more comfortable with it after a few years of real world use.
Sponsored