Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don’t think anyone should pick this color without seeing it in person in multiple lights if they’re able. I went to see it in direct sun, overcast and dusk - each time it looked different.

Six Miles South

Badlands
First Name
Stace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Outback, '57 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Spider
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Personally I really like the CG these days.

The whole thing about “I see green, what’s wrong with you idiots...” — we all see colors differently, just like we taste food differently. If you like the look of CG (and you’ve seen it in person) then you know whether you should get it, it doesn’t matter what any Tom, Rick or Harry says.

as for the name of the color, calling it “Cactus” is meant to invoke the spirit of the vehicle, out in the open west, carving a path where no ones been. I name things for a living. This is what Ford is doing. It’s always why they call the same color “jet fighter Grey” on the mustang. To invoke a testosterone-fueled feeling for those hell bent on creating havoc leaving a Cars & Coffee some Saturday morning.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Rick does not like Grey. lol
Grey is fine for many things. DMV waiting rooms come to mind immediately.

However, given the color pallet for Bronco, there was no reason for a 6th grayscale color.

Currently approximately 81% of vehicles sold today are black, white, gray or silver. 38% are white.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2021/01/question-of-the-day-is-white-your-favorite-car-color/

Colors already offered on Bronco which facilitate this 81st percentile requirement:

• Oxford white
  • Shadow Black
  • Antimatter Black (with blue hint)
  • Iconic Silver
  • Carbonized Gray
Unless I missed a press release and Ford not only cancelled all automobiles (due to CAFE), but also decided to pretend to be Mercedes, there is no compelling reason that there needed to be an incredibly light gray added to the above.

Again, Bronco colors and materials teams were at a fancy art gallery opening and came up with this abysmal color pallet.

My guess is that this is how they expect us to operate our Bronco on public roadways, while somnambulent and fighting not to ditch the rig into a jersey barrier.

Ford Bronco Cactus Grey has evolved is my theory tenor[1]

FourHorses

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently own 6 Fords
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So I have seen the following colors within the last four days.

A51 - Mix of clouds and sun
Ford Bronco Cactus Grey has evolved is my theory 1

Looks exactly like we have seen in so many pictures now. Just like in this picture. I like it. I see a lot of Blue in A51.

CO - Dusk with parking lot light assistance
Ford Bronco Cactus Grey has evolved is my theory 2

I was extremely disappointed in CO. A lot of yellow. Not near the metallic flake I was expecting. It may be nice in the bright sun, but it was so disappointing to me in the light I saw it, I would not even consider it now.

CG - Three different vehicles, three different lighting types on different days. Overcast, Sunny, Dusk with parking lot light assistance. I only have the one picture though.
Ford Bronco Cactus Grey has evolved is my theory 3

I see the mint/green in all lighting. It is exactly as I had envisioned. A wet concrete with a green hue. Just like a small cactus. I think the name is perfect for the color. There has been so much debate on the color, I am going with our eyes must all perceive it differently. My wife saw it just as I did.
Ford Bronco Cactus Grey has evolved is my theory Cactus

Sponsored

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
CO - Dusk with parking lot light assistance
2.jpg

I was extremely disappointed in CO. A lot of yellow. Not near the metallic flake I was expecting. It may be nice in the bright sun, but it was so disappointing to me in the light I saw it, I would not even consider it now.
Just to be clear, CO is not a metallic paint, so it shouldn't have a lot of flake to it (if any). It's a "tri-coat" which is basically a tinted clear coat that adds a lot of depth and "fluid color" to the paint in full light. Typically when using a tinted clear the base coat is a silver (sometimes silver metallic, in the case of Rapid Red) as any colored clear you put over silver will gain that luster you're going for. In dull light (such as the picture you posted above), a tri-coat shouldn't do much of anything special compared to a typical paint.

The ranger in Race Red looks great back there, but why 90% of Rangers have the "sport" appearance package is beyond me. (dark gray painted bumpers, fender cladding and grill surround)

An example of the tri-coat that Mazda does with their "Soul Red". It's drastically higher quality, and eye-watering costs dictate Ford was never going to do this for their vehicles.

And why Mazda's system is unique, expensive and friggen GEORGEOUS in proper lighting: MORE THAN JUST A COLOR: MAZDA’S NEW SOUL RED CRYSTAL

Ford Bronco Cactus Grey has evolved is my theory detail 2020 2.0

Ford Bronco Cactus Grey has evolved is my theory post-detail

Don't forget that past examples of Ford's "Tri-coat" include Colorado orange:

Ford Bronco Cactus Grey has evolved is my theory 06[1]

As metallic as a leather glove ^^

And the horrifically cheap and prone-to-fade-before-leaving-the-factory, "Triple Yellow"

Ford Bronco Cactus Grey has evolved is my theory 102499142[1]

noahr

Black Diamond
First Name
Noah @ Mullinax
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I stared at one live for about 10 minutes and it was grey grey grey, no green at all - I guess I need to make an eye doctor's appointment
high key you do it has unmistakable green in every lighting i saw, i sold it too so i saw a lot of it

FourHorses

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently own 6 Fords
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Just to be clear, CO is not a metallic paint, so it shouldn't have a lot of flake to it (if any).
Thanks for the clarification.

This is the picture that made me think it was metallic. I understand now though.

Ford Bronco Cactus Grey has evolved is my theory Screenshots_2020-09-06-14-39-34

Sponsored

Bajabound

Big Bend
First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend, 1986 VW Vanagon
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
the color hasnt changed that much. You can tell that the creator of the video boosted the saturation to show the color more. Just some video effects.

DLJohnson

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Harley Street Glide
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I also think the white top and door handles make the eye perceive the color differently than with the mic top and handles.

BIg B. Bronco

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The way the light hits the color CG determines the grey tint or the green tint that I see. I love the color and I can’t wait to see it in my driveway.

ilbastarge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla X
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

moderators: Please correct thread title from "evolved" to "devolved".

There was zero need for another white or gray color on the pallet, and yes, it has changed significantly from the one-off custom spray of the Showcase model. Unfortunately.
Ferd must have broken their agreement with Nintendo @Rick Astley
Sponsored