Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I needed to make a trip from Calgary to Southern California earlier this month. I decided this would be a good opportunity to break in my 2 door OBX.

The weather on the 1st two days was challenging. It was -25c when I left Calgary and a winter storm was developing in the Pacific Northwest. From the crest of the Rockies to Spokane I was driving on packed snow and ice. From Spokane to Kennewick it was snowing hard and in many places the snow plows had only just begun their work. I used the 4H Slippery mode, kept my speed under 60mph and managed just fine.

The weather for the remainder of the trip was pretty good for January – some rain and fog but sunny and warmer as I got into California. Interstate driving almost entirely.

The features I liked (in no particular order):
  • Adaptive cruise control – very effective even in heavy So Cal freeway traffic
  • Auto-start-stop function
  • Blind spot warning lights – these quickly become second nature as you only need your peripheral vision
  • 2.7L engine and automatic trans – I loved the acceleration and power for passing, smooth nearly seamless gear changes
  • 4H Slippery mode – winter road conditions not a problem
  • Heated steering and seats
  • Arm rest positions
  • Sound system
  • 12” screen - I’m still getting used to the navigation system. I’ve used Garmin for so long but I don’t think it’ll be too hard to adjust
Fuel economy was 20.2 mpg (11.6 L/100km)

The Bronco turned a lot of heads especially in So Cal. The gas station attendants in Oregon and Washington almost always wanted to talk about my ride. I heard a lot of interesting stories about their gen 1 and 2 vehicles. I only saw two other new Broncos on the entire trip.

20220120_115806.jpg
Sponsored

MN_OuterBanks

Outer Banks
First Name
AW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150 SuperCrew
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Were you running in most eco mode or regular when it wasn’t slippery? I’m finding my 2.7 is getting 17mpg. Granted it’s been 10 to -5 for the last few weeks.

OP
OP
KJ in YYC

KJ in YYC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Yes. Eco mode on the interstate stretches. Normal mode for city driving.

zombie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands (7spd) 2022 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Lol no amount of eco mode would get me anywhere near 20mpg on a 2.3 w/ manual.

Raskew

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco, 2018 Stinger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I needed to make a trip from Calgary to Southern California earlier this month. I decided this would be a good opportunity to break in my 2 door OBX.

The weather on the 1st two days was challenging. It was -25c when I left Calgary and a winter storm was developing in the Pacific Northwest. From the crest of the Rockies to Spokane I was driving on packed snow and ice. From Spokane to Kennewick it was snowing hard and in many places the snow plows had only just begun their work. I used the 4H Slippery mode, kept my speed under 60mph and managed just fine.

The weather for the remainder of the trip was pretty good for January – some rain and fog but sunny and warmer as I got into California. Interstate driving almost entirely.

The features I liked (in no particular order):
  • Adaptive cruise control – very effective even in heavy So Cal freeway traffic
  • Auto-start-stop function
  • Blind spot warning lights – these quickly become second nature as you only need your peripheral vision
  • 2.7L engine and automatic trans – I loved the acceleration and power for passing, smooth nearly seamless gear changes
  • 4H Slippery mode – winter road conditions not a problem
  • Heated steering and seats
  • Arm rest positions
  • Sound system
  • 12” screen - I’m still getting used to the navigation system. I’ve used Garmin for so long but I don’t think it’ll be too hard to adjust
Fuel economy was 20.2 mpg (11.6 L/100km)

The Bronco turned a lot of heads especially in So Cal. The gas station attendants in Oregon and Washington almost always wanted to talk about my ride. I heard a lot of interesting stories about their gen 1 and 2 vehicles. I only saw two other new Broncos on the entire trip.

20220120_115806.jpg
Forget the navigation app that comes with the Bronco.

Download the app WAZE onto your phone. Since you have apple car play you can use that Waze in your Bronco. WAZE tells you about the traffic, where the cops and red light cameras are, pot holes, road construction, etc. All updated by people who are using the app and driving ahead of you on the same road.

It has saved me from speed traps many times.
Sponsored