Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I needed to make a trip from Calgary to Southern California earlier this month. I decided this would be a good opportunity to break in my 2 door OBX.

The weather on the 1st two days was challenging. It was -25c when I left Calgary and a winter storm was developing in the Pacific Northwest. From the crest of the Rockies to Spokane I was driving on packed snow and ice. From Spokane to Kennewick it was snowing hard and in many places the snow plows had only just begun their work. I used the 4H Slippery mode, kept my speed under 60mph and managed just fine.

The weather for the remainder of the trip was pretty good for January – some rain and fog but sunny and warmer as I got into California. Interstate driving almost entirely.

The features I liked (in no particular order):
  • Adaptive cruise control – very effective even in heavy So Cal freeway traffic
  • Auto-start-stop function
  • Blind spot warning lights – these quickly become second nature as you only need your peripheral vision
  • 2.7L engine and automatic trans – I loved the acceleration and power for passing, smooth nearly seamless gear changes
  • 4H Slippery mode – winter road conditions not a problem
  • Heated steering and seats
  • Arm rest positions
  • Sound system
  • 12” screen - I’m still getting used to the navigation system. I’ve used Garmin for so long but I don’t think it’ll be too hard to adjust
Fuel economy was 20.2 mpg (11.6 L/100km)

The Bronco turned a lot of heads especially in So Cal. The gas station attendants in Oregon and Washington almost always wanted to talk about my ride. I heard a lot of interesting stories about their gen 1 and 2 vehicles. I only saw two other new Broncos on the entire trip.

20220120_115344.jpg
Sponsored

Gilligans_off

Badlands
First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2 Dr Bronco Badlands Sas/lux
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Pretty good mileage. How was the smaller tank on the trip? How many KM per tank did you get?

OP
OP
KJ in YYC

KJ in YYC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Personally I'd prefer the larger tank but the smaller tank was fine on this trip. Range on a tank of gas was about 550 km (340 miles)

Seagull

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Thanks for posting. I’m also fairly impressed with your fuel economy over 6000km… that’s pretty comparable to an f150. Overall pretty comfy for long stretches of road?

OP
OP
KJ in YYC

KJ in YYC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The ride was very comfortable. I let my brother drive for some of the trip so I got the passenger experience as well. He and I are both big guys. Good ergonomics. Plenty of head and legroom.

Sponsored

Tippster

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi TT, Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I needed to make a trip from Calgary to Southern California earlier this month. I decided this would be a good opportunity to break in my 2 door OBX.

The weather on the 1st two days was challenging. It was -25c when I left Calgary and a winter storm was developing in the Pacific Northwest. From the crest of the Rockies to Spokane I was driving on packed snow and ice. From Spokane to Kennewick it was snowing hard and in many places the snow plows had only just begun their work. I used the 4H Slippery mode, kept my speed under 60mph and managed just fine.

The weather for the remainder of the trip was pretty good for January – some rain and fog but sunny and warmer as I got into California. Interstate driving almost entirely.

The features I liked (in no particular order):
  • Adaptive cruise control – very effective even in heavy So Cal freeway traffic
  • Auto-start-stop function
  • Blind spot warning lights – these quickly become second nature as you only need your peripheral vision
  • 2.7L engine and automatic trans – I loved the acceleration and power for passing, smooth nearly seamless gear changes
  • 4H Slippery mode – winter road conditions not a problem
  • Heated steering and seats
  • Arm rest positions
  • Sound system
  • 12” screen - I’m still getting used to the navigation system. I’ve used Garmin for so long but I don’t think it’ll be too hard to adjust
Fuel economy was 20.2 mpg (11.6 L/100km)

The Bronco turned a lot of heads especially in So Cal. The gas station attendants in Oregon and Washington almost always wanted to talk about my ride. I heard a lot of interesting stories about their gen 1 and 2 vehicles. I only saw two other new Broncos on the entire trip.

Ford Bronco Calgary to So Cal and back 20220120_115344
Wondering if you have SAS package on yours? - I am right in the middle of much of that same trip - Seattle to Palm Springs via I5 - In Eco Mode I am now on average at 18.2MPG with a couple of hiking trail distractions - I do have SAS so if you dont - this is a pretty good sample of what those 35's cost me in gas mileage.

OP
OP
KJ in YYC

KJ in YYC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

No SAS. I have an OBX 2dr with 2.7L.

lenitech

Base
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 Bronco, 2021 Base Sasquatch (AMB)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Wondering if you have SAS package on yours? - I am right in the middle of much of that same trip - Seattle to Palm Springs via I5 - In Eco Mode I am now on average at 18.2MPG with a couple of hiking trail distractions - I do have SAS so if you dont - this is a pretty good sample of what those 35's cost me in gas mileage.
I have a 2Dr 2.7 with Sasquatch and I just got 18.0mpg (hand calculated) on my last tank of all highway mileage. So it looks like the Sasquatch package is a 10% hit in fuel economy. Not bad if you ask me.

Tippster

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi TT, Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a 2Dr 2.7 with Sasquatch and I just got 18.0mpg (hand calculated) on my last tank of all highway mileage. So it looks like the Sasquatch package is a 10% hit in fuel economy. Not bad if you ask me.
The "Badass" factor of SAS - more than makes up for it. I cannot get out of a gas station or a hotel here without a 30 min conversation about it - its fun but I am now running behind in my attempt to get to Arizona by tomorrow!! :)
Sponsored